News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Sharon and I watch Married at First Sight as well. We started with Season 13 and are into the current Season (14).

We just finished the last season of Breaking Bad. Gonna watch El Camino tonight.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

Tim

If you have one of several services for streaming, you probably can go back and watch some of the earlier seasons. They started out with 3 couples and 6 weeks of married until decision day. In early shows, couples all weren't from the same area which presented huge problems, so they changed it that all couples live in the same city. Also now they provide a place for them to stay, earlier the couples had to fend fopr themselves.

My only complaint about this show is that they chose too many 'younger' type people who really say they want to be married, but really just want to be on TV unless they meet the ultimate mate. They need to concentrate on people a bit older where this could be their last chance to marry. I would love to see a couple of couples in their late 30's or early 40's. These people will do what they can to stay married, not run off at the first fight or quarrel.

So what did you think of the entire BB series? Poor ending in my opinion, but overall, just a tremendous watch.
Funny, I ahve enver seen El Camino. I do need to do it though.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

We may go back and watch some of the earlier seasons. Each season stands on its own and aside from pure entertainment, they don't have any bearing on the subsequent seasons.

I really enjoyed Breaking Bad and Sharon liked it better than Ozark and she REALLY LOVED Ozark. It was a cleaner ending than Dexter but there are some aspects I didn't agree with, specifically with Hank's death.

El Camino is a good finale encore.

We're starting Inventing Anna tonight.

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on February 20, 2022, 06:52:44 PM
We may go back and watch some of the earlier seasons. Each season stands on its own and aside from pure entertainment, they don't have any bearing on the subsequent seasons.

I really enjoyed Breaking Bad and Sharon liked it better than Ozark and she REALLY LOVED Ozark. It was a cleaner ending than Dexter but there are some aspects I didn't agree with, specifically with Hank's death.

El Camino is a good finale encore.

We're starting Inventing Anna tonight.

We've been watching Inventing Anna. My girlfriend loves her from Ozark (Ruth Langmore), but hates her accent. It's interesting and she nails the part.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 08, 2022, 09:29:45 AM
I watched all 8 episodes of "Reacher" last night and it was really good IMO. I've read every one of Lee Child's "Reacher" books and this series is about as close to the written stories of any production I've seen. The star is far more realistic than the "Reacher" movies in which Tom Cruise plays the lead. In fact, Child did an interview about this series and suggested a mammoth man for the part because so many fans (of his books) were annoyed, unhappy, pissed, whatever when in the movie they plugged in a 5'7" yappy movie star to play a 6'5" man-of-few-words, bruiser... so that was taken into consideration before casting for this series. Anyway, great series. It appears that each season is a complete story from one of his books - about the only way to do a book right IMO. Hopefully there's another season and more coming.

It's on Prime and I highly suggest it to anyone who likes mysteries combined with some serious ass-kicking, blood, murder, betrayal, intrigue, etc.

Just a tease:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-YNd31tSZg

Official trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDekbN4EtaE

I needed something new to start watching so I started this series. I watched the first 3 episodes last night and find it pretty good. Funny, but the way Reacher talks, not looking to say a lot, he reminds me of Arnold S in several films, like the Terminator etc.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

If you like the comic book movies and series, I think HBO's Peacemaker series was a real winner.   Warning it's NSFW.  It's irreverent, funny, ranching but ultimately heartwarming. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I was a HUGE fan of the original Vikings show which was on the History Channel for several years and finished on Prime. I watched every episode of every season and thought it to be one of the better TV dramas.

Now, on Netflix is the sort of reincarnation of the Vikings with 'Vikings Valhalla' which premiered the other day. Being a fan of the original, this was #1 on my list to watch this weekend. So, I have watched 3 episodes so far and would say at this point, not as great as the original, but right up there with it. It will take time to develop the characters as the original series did. Many references are made to some of the characters on the original show, but this takes place 100 years from then and you do not have to know anything about the original to watch or enjoy this. It stands alone. If you are a fan of this type of genre of movie you will like this. Lots of action, some loving, and well, they are Vikings.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

We just finished watching the latest mini-series on the History Channel about Abraham Lincoln  (https://www.history.com/shows/abraham-lincoln).
It was 3 parts and each part of 2 1/2 hours long. If you DVR it, as I did, that 2 1/2 hours gets taken down to 2 hours. for each chapter.

I am a HUGE fan and devotee of the Civil War, and try to gobble up anything shown about it. I am far from an expert but I am a bit knowledgeable about certain aspects of the war, about Lincoln etc. If there is something new about the Civil War shown anywhere, I'll be first online to view it. I don't read much anymore and there are some fascinating books I should read, but, well, I just don't. I have had the honor to visit and tour quite a few battlefields of the Civil War, from Manassas to Gettysburg, Antietam, Shiloh, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania to name a few.

Anyway, I looked, with great anticipation, to this mini-series. My darling wife, who knows nothing of the Civil War even though she toured with me all those battlefields, does enjoy a series about history also watched.

So, overall, it was good but not as good as I had hoped it would be. Maybe I expected more as this series veered off on tangents sometimes spending a lot of time talking and showing Frederick Douglas. It did hit several key points in Lincoln's life but also, as someone who does know something about the Civil War, had some glaring mistakes, but, hey, it's TV.

Maybe what took some of the enjoyment of this away was the gentleman who portrayed Lincoln (Graham Sibley). I don't know, maybe I was spoiled by Daniel Day-Lewis when he portrayed Lincoln as he WAS Lincoln. This gentleman really never even looked anything like Lincoln and maybe my biggest grip was his voice. Lincoln was a big man and since we have no idea what his voice was, I always imagined it to be a husky, deep sort of voice. Mr. Sibley's voice was sort of high pitched and I never, for even an instant, thought he was Lincoln. Every time he talked I sort of cringed, but he did a very good job as far as acting is concerned.

Overall, I would recommend it especially if you like or what to learn things about the Civil War.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Quote from: LennG on February 20, 2022, 12:22:55 PM
A good friend told me about another newer series on Netflix, "The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window"  and I am almost finished with it.

Each episode is only 1/2 an hour so watching this, it really flies by, but overall, I have found it interesting. On reading the synopsis, I thought more of a Rear Window type of thing, but it is much more light-hearted and still compelling. It is quite worthy of a binge-watch.
(I thought it would be something I could watch with my wife, but she didn't want to, but overall, after watching what I already have, she would have liked it--no blood, no scares, but alas, she missed out on this charming show).
I just started this today and yes, the episodes fly by. I watched 4 in one sitting without even realizing it. As Lenn said "light hearted and compelling" is a good way to describe it. Very enjoyable so far.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

ozzie

I also just finished up a show on Netflix called Midnight Mass.
It's kind of tough to describe and categorize. It is listed in the Horror genre but I found it to be more than that. In fact, it didn't seem like it fit as a "Horror" until about the last two episodes. A short description is this new priest comes to serve as the spiritual advisor for a small fishing village on an island hit by hard times. The longer this priest is around, people start to notice things changing for the better and experience some "Miracles". But unbeknownst to the villagers, there is a price to pay for what is happening.
I will say that there were some episodes that were downright boring and played out like a soap opera. But just when I was about to call it quits, the episodes ended with a huge bang of a surprise, which of course led me into the next one.
The show centers around a catholic church and relies heavily on scripture and bible passages, but it is not necessary to be of any particular faith to follow and enjoy it. There are a lot of subplots and character development, so it is slow moving at times. Without giving anything away, I will say that for me, the ending was bittersweet. The whole "series" is only (8) episodes.
Like I said up top, it's a bit hard to describe exactly, but overall I enjoyed it and would be interested to hear what others thought of it if they decide to give it a go.
Here's some info on it from iMDb:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10574558/?ref_=hm_rvi_tt_i_8
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

kartanoman

Quote from: LennG on February 28, 2022, 08:45:58 PM

We just finished watching the latest mini-series on the History Channel about Abraham Lincoln  (https://www.history.com/shows/abraham-lincoln).
It was 3 parts and each part of 2 1/2 hours long. If you DVR it, as I did, that 2 1/2 hours gets taken down to 2 hours. for each chapter.

I am a HUGE fan and devotee of the Civil War, and try to gobble up anything shown about it. I am far from an expert but I am a bit knowledgeable about certain aspects of the war, about Lincoln etc. If there is something new about the Civil War shown anywhere, I'll be first online to view it. I don't read much anymore and there are some fascinating books I should read, but, well, I just don't. I have had the honor to visit and tour quite a few battlefields of the Civil War, from Manassas to Gettysburg, Antietam, Shiloh, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania to name a few.

Anyway, I looked, with great anticipation, to this mini-series. My darling wife, who knows nothing of the Civil War even though she toured with me all those battlefields, does enjoy a series about history also watched.

So, overall, it was good but not as good as I had hoped it would be. Maybe I expected more as this series veered off on tangents sometimes spending a lot of time talking and showing Frederick Douglas. It did hit several key points in Lincoln's life but also, as someone who does know something about the Civil War, had some glaring mistakes, but, hey, it's TV.

Maybe what took some of the enjoyment of this away was the gentleman who portrayed Lincoln (Graham Sibley). I don't know, maybe I was spoiled by Daniel Day-Lewis when he portrayed Lincoln as he WAS Lincoln. This gentleman really never even looked anything like Lincoln and maybe my biggest grip was his voice. Lincoln was a big man and since we have no idea what his voice was, I always imagined it to be a husky, deep sort of voice. Mr. Sibley's voice was sort of high pitched and I never, for even an instant, thought he was Lincoln. Every time he talked I sort of cringed, but he did a very good job as far as acting is concerned.

Overall, I would recommend it especially if you like or what to learn things about the Civil War.

Hi Lenn.

I'm with you all the way other History Channel's Lincoln documentary. It was very moving, very powerful and the acting was superb.

History has done an outstanding job with its presidential documentaries. Washington and Grant were phenomenal productions and I am very excited that Teddy Roosevelt will be their next documentary in May.

History is my favorite channel, hands down. More than anything, I am beyond obsessed with The Curse of Oak Island. This series is a childhood dream come true for me. I first learned about Oak Island through the old Leonard Nimoy series, In Search Of. I was so mesmerized at the idea of the treasure at the bottom of the pit. So glad the Lagina brothers and History gave us that show, drama and all.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

LennG

Quote from: kartanoman on March 02, 2022, 09:57:07 PM
Hi Lenn.

I'm with you all the way other History Channel's Lincoln documentary. It was very moving, very powerful and the acting was superb.

History has done an outstanding job with its presidential documentaries. Washington and Grant were phenomenal productions and I am very excited that Teddy Roosevelt will be their next documentary in May.

History is my favorite channel, hands down. More than anything, I am beyond obsessed with The Curse of Oak Island. This series is a childhood dream come true for me. I first learned about Oak Island through the old Leonard Nimoy series, In Search Of. I was so mesmerized at the idea of the treasure at the bottom of the pit. So glad the Lagina brothers and History gave us that show, drama and all.

Peace!

Funny I have heard so many good things about Oak Island but never got around to watching it. It is on my list though.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on March 02, 2022, 08:21:21 PM
I just started this today and yes, the episodes fly by. I watched 4 in one sitting without even realizing it. As Lenn said "light hearted and compelling" is a good way to describe it. Very enjoyable so far.

Lou

I just finished this series the other day and the ending blew me away. Overall I would have rated this series as a good watch but after I watched the last episode, I move it right up there with the very good. Won't give anything away, but I know you will be surprised.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: LennG on December 04, 2021, 07:07:57 PM
So a week or so ago, I sort of killed a new Western on Netflix. Today I read another new Western type movie that was just out, again on Netflix, "Power of the Dog"

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_power_of_the_dog  Rotten Tomatoes review

so it was something that really looked different, a gritty type western set in the early 1920s. I love realism and was hoping that this would fit the bill.
Well, I was right on the realism part, the imagery, the sets and just about everything else was very good, For me, the problem was this story was so quirky and utterly impossible to believe, when it ended I sat there realizing I wasted another few hours. I was so disappointed in this movie from the mid-way point and beyond it just elaft me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Briefly, 2 brothers, one a hard-driving cowboy, the other a more reserved and business-like. The reserved on marries a lady he meets with a son who, let's say is a bit awkward when it comes to being a cowboy and seems to have again, what one might say are feminine quirks, a sissy to put it bluntly. The cowboy brother is relentless in not wanting to conform to more modern-day things including the new wife. This goes on thru about 1/2 the movie then all of a sudden he takes a liking to the boy and decides to help make him more of a cowboy. I won't even go into it anymore.

For me, another very promising movie, ends up in the crapper, to put it honestly.

I was going back thru this thread and came across this review of mine of this movie.

This movie has received more Oscar nominations than any movie in the history of the Oscars. More than Gone With The Wind, more than Ben Hur, more than the Ten Commandments, more than The Godfather, more than any movie EVER.  It is simply unbelievable. I really don't know what movie these nominators were watching as I still say this movie stinks.    :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

I really gave up with these morons who vote, when they made that movie about the Creature From the Black Lagoon meets Deaf girl, falls in love, has sex, and runs off together. (The Shape of Water). Maybe the silliest, stupidest movie made in quite a long time, yet it wins best picture. As I said before simply unbeleivable.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

We have several AMEX credit cards and they always have some special offers attached to them (each card's offers vary). So, on panning the offers for the new month, they were offering Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+--if you sign up for $13.99 you get a credit of $13.99 for 6 months, so you can have it free for 6 months and then cancel if you wish.
Free is free, so we signed on and on going thru Disney+ we see they had the new 'West Side Story' on, which is exactly what we watched last night.

First, my darling wife and I are HUGE fans of the original West Side Story.
We both sort of cringed when they announced they were making a remake of it. How can you remake a classic and make it just as good or better? Impossible we said, why waste your time and money. That was our thought process going in. We read all the good to very good reviews and after all, it was directed by Steven Spielberg so he can never make a bad movie--right?.

That streak continues. To make a very long story a lot shorter, we both liked-- it very much. Maybe it is the music, the songs, the dancing, which are almost exactly the same as the original, the story is basically a carbon copy, with some minor changes, even the time frame, where I thought they were going to update the time to modern times--they didn't. The actors who played the lead roles were very good even if I never heard of any of them. Bernardo looked much older than I would have thought and Riff and Tony looked much younger than Bernardo, but that's minor.. The young lady who played Maria was excellent. Yes we all know Natalie Wood as Maria, but a big to-do was made about a white playing a Puerto Rican, so this time they used the real thing.

Anyway, we never tire of that amazing score, those wonderful songs, and these people performed them as well as the original. We both came away impressed, especially after vowing not to like any remake of a classic. Applauds to Mr. Spielberg for giving us a great remake. Fun for the entire family.

Charlie Weiss