News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I am watching the Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix.   Very compelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 30, 2022, 04:42:34 PM
I am watching the Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix.   Very compelling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We started watching this a few days ago. 5 episodes in and to quote you again  "Very compelling"

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jolly Blue Giant

I have HBO Max through Hulu so I got to watch the new Batman movie: my review is that it's a little too long, very dark and dreary, less cartoonic than earlier versions. It's okay, but I'm glad I didn't pay to watch it at a theater
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 03, 2022, 10:37:29 AM
I have HBO Max through Hulu so I got to watch the new Batman movie: my review is that it's a little too long, very dark and dreary, less cartoonic than earlier versions. It's okay, but I'm glad I didn't pay to watch it at a theater

Most Superhero movies make one want to be a superhero.  The new Batman movie made one think, "what a dreary and depressing job, I would never want to be a superhero"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 03, 2022, 10:40:27 AM
Most Superhero movies make one want to be a superhero.  The new Batman movie made one thing, "what a dreary and depressing job, I would never want to be a superhero"
=)) =)) =)) =))

LennG

Let's see where we are at.

Seems my darling wife and I are into historical shos this past wek.

We are watching the 2-part History Channel thing about Theodore Roosevelt. We have finished part 1 and will watch part 2 tonite. As with many History Channel docudramas, they tend to be a bit wordie but I am enjoying this show. I had a pretty good knowledge of TR and this just reminded me about how really great a man he was.

For Memorial Day weekend, again on the History Channel, they had a 3 part series on General Grant, called simply Grant I assume it was already shown at some point considering when it was on, but I had never seen it. As I have said many times, I cannot get enough of the Civil War, so this was perfect for me. I watched all 3 parts in one sitting and I really liked it. Not much new info for me on Grant or the Civil War but enough stuff to keep one wanting more. If you are a history person and have never seen this mini-series, I would recommend it.

And last, since it is Queen Elizabeth's 70th Jubilee, and I don't know if this is a coincidence, on the Smithsonian Channel, they are showing a docu-series on her called simply Elizabeth. Since we LOVED The Crown, on Netflix, we were really looking forward to watching this. We are 4 episodes in and we like it. It is more of a documentary about her, her early life, becoming Queen, and now into her reign. Unlike the History Channel shows, where they include actors playing some parts, this is a pure documentary with mostly film clips and narration and interviews with people in the know.
If this is your thing, go for it.  https://www.tvinsider.com/show/elizabeth/

So, I needed something to watch when the wife is napping or whatever, so on scrolling thru Netflix, I came across an 'older' show, a western which I am just a sucker for, Godless. I am only one episode in but it has sure tweaked my interest. A good, old-fashioned shoot 'em up.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5516154/
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

So we have finished Theodore Roosevelt on the History Channel and liked it very much.

Myself, I can't say much about the guy they got to play TR, as I thought with some better make up they could have had him look a bit more like TR and I didn't think he exhibited the real enthusiasm that I would think TR had about many things. He seemed ot be sleep walking thru many parts, but again overall, I liked it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

Hi Lenn.

I agree with you that the History Channel's "Theodore Roosevelt" was very well produced and I learned quite a few details about Roosevelt that further reinforce my vision of him as a "rock star" of the day.

All of the History Channel's documentaries on the presidents have been outstanding watches and we will get to see Franklin D. Roosevelt on their next mini-series. Again, looking very much forward to it.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

LennG

I just finished the short series Godless, which, I mentioned above, I had started to watch. It was 7 episodes and if I do say so myself, it was GREAT. It fit right into my favorite genre, a good Western, and again, if I had to compare it to anything it would be to maybe the best Western series even on TV--Deadwood.
Story-wise it was nothing like Deadwood, but just the way it was presented, acted, written, and filmed--more true to life instead of a Hollywood Western. People actually dressed the way you would think they would at that time period, not with the shiny guns, well-pressed shirts, and clean hats. It had a terrific story, great characters and a host of shoot 'em ups and mucho killings. (The final battle was unbelievable, lasting a good 15 minutes--similar in length to the Wild Bunch).
If you are a fan of Westerns, I would highly recommend this short series on Netflix.
(And if you haven't watched Deadwood--I would highly recommend that also)

PS> In a survey and list of shows that were canceled much too soon, Deadwood always comes up either #1 or #2.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Started watching "Banshee" on Hulu. I'm about 5 episodes in the 4 season show. Pretty friggin wild. A professional thief spends 15 years in prison and after getting out, ends up in a small town in Pennsylvania (Banshee) to avoid being killed by the mob in NYC and due to a mix up, becomes the Sheriff of Banshee. Cop by day, crook by night, lover of many women. He has the NYC mob after him and there is a pair of competing ultra-crooked mob-types in the town. One run by the son of an Amish man who basically runs the town and has every important person on his payroll, the other a group of wild rednecks

Warning: lots and lots of sex in this show and they show far more than a typical R-rated movie so keep in mind if you have children in the house...leaves very little to the imagination and the Sheriff beds an awful lot of women - usually at least 2 an episode including a hot Amish girl Rebekah (played by Lili Simmons who played the older Selena (Cat Woman) in the series "Gotham")

Lots of blood and violence, lots of sex, lots of killin, some pretty dang gory stuff, and a wild ride. Right up my alley after having withdrawal symptoms from ending of Ozark  :what:

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 13, 2022, 05:34:18 PMStarted watching "Banshee" on Hulu. I'm about 5 episodes in the 4 season show. Pretty friggin wild. A professional thief spends 15 years in prison and after getting out, ends up in a small town in Pennsylvania (Banshee) to avoid being killed by the mob in NYC and due to a mix up, becomes the Sheriff of Banshee. Cop by day, crook by night, lover of many women. He has the NYC mob after him and there is a pair of competing ultra-crooked mob-types in the town. One run by the son of an Amish man who basically runs the town and has every important person on his payroll, the other a group of wild rednecks

Warning: lots and lots of sex in this show and they show far more than a typical R-rated movie so keep in mind if you have children in the house...leaves very little to the imagination and the Sheriff beds an awful lot of women - usually at least 2 an episode including a hot Amish girl Rebekah (played by Lili Simmons who played the older Selena (Cat Woman) in the series "Gotham")

Lots of blood and violence, lots of sex, lots of killin, some pretty dang gory stuff, and a wild ride. Right up my alley after having withdrawal symptoms from ending of Ozark  :what:

Now hat sounds like something that I would like. As yiu said, Ozark hangover.

Charlie Weiss

Hadron

Trying to finish the following:

1. Ozarks (Netflix)
2. Barry (HBO)
3. The Staircase (HBO - wife keeps falling asleep so I've seen some episodes 3 times).

Shows I want to watch:

1. Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix)
2. Yellowstone (Peacock - just watched the first episode).
3. Banshee (this has been on my to do list for years).

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 13, 2022, 08:48:36 PMNow that sounds like something that I would like. As yiu said, Ozark hangover.

Well, the writers and actors aren't quite as good as they were in Ozark, but it's got some elements of intrigue that keeps me coming back. I'm enjoying it, but not at the edge of my seat like in Ozark in most of the episodes. I'd still give it 4 to 4 1/2 stars out of 5...Ozark of course, 5 stars

Sem

Last night I watched the first episode of the latest season of Stranger Things. All I can say is "what the holy fuc#!?!?!!? This series sure took a radical turn. Plus, I have always enjoyed the choice of songs making up the soundtrack, but adding Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill, (A Deal With God)" was pure genius. I've absolutely loved that song from the moment I first heard it nearly 40 years ago. It fit perfectly with the the scene last night.

Jolly Blue Giant

One thing about Banshee - it doesn't fit the monologue from the thread "30 Things I Learned from Watching Movies" as there are no magic sheets on beds that go up to the woman's neck, but only up to the waist of a man - if anything, just the opposite  :what: