News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on January 13, 2024, 12:06:28 PMI, also love 'Curb'. I did find it got a bit off track in the last couple of seasons. I was always disappointed Larry never got back with his wife and still feel LeRoy's character is a bit too much for me many times. That said, and you are correct, it sure is funny.

I agree about Leroy. He was great for a season or two, but I feel he is a bit one-dimensional to have become such a multi-season regular on the show. We're in agreement. That said he doesn't ruin the show by any means.

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 13, 2024, 12:42:28 PMLenn, have you watched Reacher 2? (Prime)

It has run alongside Fargo, which I am now going to start. Reacher 2 is 8 episodes, 7 of them are up and the finale is this Thursday. I haven't heard you talk (seen you write, lol) about Reacher at all and it's one of the best series on TV. If you haven't ever watched it, start with Reacher 1 of course, then delve into 2. It's not the movies with Tom Cruise - that confuses some people

Ric

I did watch the first season of Reacher and liked it a lot. I fully intend to watch this new season as soon as all the episodes are dropped. My problem and I won't go into how it came about, Reacher is on Prime and I have Prime but only on my upstairs Fire Stick. So I can watch it upstairs, but not if my wife is around there. Again, it is a complicated story which I rather not go into, but I will watch it.

I am caught up on Fargo. I am waiting for Tuesday for the finale. I sort of times it wrong as I thought there were only 8 episodes when there were 10. So by watching 1 a day for a week or so, I would be at the finales just in time. So the 10 episodes screwed that up. It has been a truly great season and the anticipation for the finale is great. You won't be disappointed.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Things to look forward to this year. Thinking of good series that will have a followup season that should be available in 2024

- Citadel (Confirmed, but way behind in production. Priyanka Chopra Jonas is worth watching her sleep if nothing else)

- Night Agent (confirmed - waited far too long for the 2nd season IMO)

- Justified: City Primeval (still up in the air about another season, but was a big success so probably)

- Lawman: Bass Reeves (confirmed, 2nd season being produced)

- FUBAR (confirmed that a 2nd season is in the works)

- Tulsa King (2nd season underway with a new villain)

- 1923 (confirmed that season 2 was underway before the finale of season 1 was finished...yay)

- Reacher 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUhfcptpreI

That's all I got...there might be others that I can't think of. Hopefully, there's some new series this year that are as good as some of those listed above. The writers' strike really set the timescale back a few months
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

GordonGekko80

Has Tulsa Kind 2 been confirmed?

I'd certainly like to see it, liked the first series.

I think I might chip into Reacher, haven't starte it but think I will.

LennG

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 14, 2024, 07:56:43 AMHas Tulsa Kind 2 been confirmed?

I'd certainly like to see it, liked the first series.

I think I might chip into Reacher, haven't starte it but think I will.

Dom

You will like, if not love, Reacher. Just a light, but action packed show.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on January 14, 2024, 12:51:37 PMDom

You will like, if not love, Reacher. Just a light, but action packed show.

I'll give it a shot Lenny, for sure.  ;)

Jolly Blue Giant

Finally started "Fargo 5" and it's all I expected...so "Fargoish". Love it. Dark humor at it's best. I knew I would love it when in the first two minutes, everyone is beating each other up at a school meeting - even women diving over chairs to slug some guy in the face

Seems a little strange to see Juno Temple starring in it because only a couple of weeks ago I finished "Ted Lasso", and Juno Temple was a big player there as well...and a hell of a lot prettier/sexier with a likeable personality - very upbeat. She can pull off the British accent (well, she is a Brit) as well as the Minnesota one (which is a rather irritating accent if you ask me)

In Ted Lasso:

In Fargo:

LennG

It is done, the new season of Fargo is in the books and as I sit here I am pretty satisfied with the entire season. As I said previously, there was some weird stuff going on mid-way thru, but that lasted maybe one episode and then on to much better things.
 I can't say the ending was as good as I would have liked, but it was satisfying.

How would I rate this one against some of the others, it was way better than the last installment of KC hoods, but I still think seasons 2 and 3 were really the tops.

Still one of the best watches on TV.

If others have now seen it and would like to discuss anything, put a big Spoiler alert on top, and let's get at it.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on January 17, 2024, 02:05:57 PMIt is done, the new season of Fargo is in the books and as I sit here I am pretty satisfied with the entire season. As I said previously, there was some weird stuff going on mid-way thru, but that lasted maybe one episode and then on to much better things.
 I can't say the ending was as good as I would have liked, but it was satisfying.

How would I rate this one against some of the others, it was way better than the last installment of KC hoods, but I still think seasons 2 and 3 were really the tops.

Still one of the best watches on TV.

If others have now seen it and would like to discuss anything, put a big Spoiler alert on top, and let's get at it.

I finished it up last night. Absolutely loved this series. I too was scratching my head a little about the last 10-15 minutes with "Munch"...pronounced "Oolha munk" or something like that. But after reading an article explaining it, it made sense. I was a bit confused about Munch from the get go, but this explains it all (see link at bottom of page and notice is has Spoiler Alert)

I would rank this series as my favorite of the five so far...although, the first series with psycho-killer Billy Bob Thornton was really an exceptional series

Favorite line from the show that made me laugh: "What good is being a billionaire if you can't kill somebody?"

One of the things I like about the Fargo series, is the music they choose to accent different story lines. I haven't seen a producer use music the right way, in order to enhance scenes since Quentin Tarantino (the master at using music) showed the world that music can make a movie or tv shows even better by paying a lot of attention to the music used...even just short sections of a song

Some examples (not exactly ones you'd listen to, but they do enhance scenes):

The Hendrix song "Hey Joe" by Charlotte Gainsbourg

The Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up

So many more: Paranoid by Grand Funk; Working Man by Rush

SPOILER ALERT - Don't click this link unless you've already watched the whole series https://decider.com/2024/01/17/fargo-season-5-ending-explained/

ozzie

This season of Fargo is the first I have watched and I loved it. I just finished it last night.
Yes, it got a little weird in spots and like Jolly, I needed a bit of an explanation to fully understand the ending, but  once I "got it" I thought it was brilliant.
I will definitely go back and watch the previous seasons.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

My only problem with this last episode, I really don't know how much of this is actually true, but I was very sorry to see Witt get killed off. And then John Hamm getting caught so early in the episode. I expected a full confrontation before he was eliminated. AND, yes I loved the way he was set up for his life in prison. Just a great season for Hamm. The first really great thing he's done since playing Don Draper on Mad Men.

Knowing this series, I fully expected our assassin to pull out something and 'pay the debt', but I understand the ending that they left us with.

Sorry to hear that there is nothing on the horizon for a Season 6. I really need to go back and rewatch all the previous seasons.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on January 18, 2024, 08:19:55 PMMy only problem with this last episode, I really don't know how much of this is actually true, but I was very sorry to see Witt get killed off. And then John Hamm getting caught so early in the episode. I expected a full confrontation before he was eliminated. AND, yes I loved the way he was set up for his life in prison. Just a great season for Hamm. The first really great thing he's done since playing Don Draper on Mad Men.

Knowing this series, I fully expected our assassin to pull out something and 'pay the debt', but I understand the ending that they left us with.

Sorry to hear that there is nothing on the horizon for a Season 6. I really need to go back and rewatch all the previous seasons.

This Fargo was great IMO...I mentioned my favorite line, but a close second would be: "You didn't tell me she was a tiger"...who replied, "she's a 100 lb woman, how hard can that be?"...and he replied back: "She's half Rambo, half McGiver"...LOL. I was thinking more like the kid left behind in "Home Alone"

Everything has come to a close in the last few days, Monarch: Legacy of Monsters; Fargo 5; and now Reacher  :'(

So I started a new series that seems to be a good one...although, they dropped the first two episodes and we have to wait each Tuesday for the next episode  ~X(

It's an 8-episode series called "Death and Other Details" (on Hulu), an Agatha Christie type murder mystery aboard a yacht big enough to be a floating hotel...sex, nudity, lesbian lovin, sordid affairs, the super-rich who trusts no one, and of course...murder

Unfortunately, I'm all caught up now and have nothing to watch  :boooo:

ozzie

Quote from: LennG on January 18, 2024, 08:19:55 PMMy only problem with this last episode, I really don't know how much of this is actually true, but I was very sorry to see Witt get killed off. And then John Hamm getting caught so early in the episode. I expected a full confrontation before he was eliminated. AND, yes I loved the way he was set up for his life in prison. Just a great season for Hamm. The first really great thing he's done since playing Don Draper on Mad Men.
Lenn, I know the beginning of every episode there was a header stating the story was true, Yada yada..Yada...
I was curious about that so I did some research and found out none of that story was true. It was just something the creators did to add a little realism to the story.
And yes, I was bummed they killed off Witt too.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

I needed something for the wife and myself to watch, as I seem to spend too much time watching all these shows that everyone recommends and she doesn't get into killings et al. That said, we have now started the latest season of ' Only Murderers In The Building'. This is Season 3 and we have loved the first two and we are really looking forward to this new season, which got good reviews. If you've never seen this show, it stars Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selina Gomez as tenents in a Manhatten apartment building where there always seems to have someone murdered and leave it to our trio, to figure things out among so many plot twists it's hard to keep a straight face. Of course, this is all done tongue-in-cheek, so there are more funny moments than anything else. It is a relaxing way to spend some time away from all the other stuff we usually watch.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on January 19, 2024, 12:17:55 PMI needed something for the wife and myself to watch, as I seem to spend too much time watching all these shows that everyone recommends and she doesn't get into killings et al. That said, we have now started the latest season of ' Only Murderers In The Building'. This is Season 3 and we have loved the first two and we are really looking forward to this new season, which got good reviews. If you've never seen this show, it stars Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selina Gomez as tenents in a Manhatten apartment building where there always seems to have someone murdered and leave it to our trio, to figure things out among so many plot twists it's hard to keep a straight face. Of course, this is all done tongue-in-cheek, so there are more funny moments than anything else. It is a relaxing way to spend some time away from all the other stuff we usually watch.

I highly recommend it also, to anyone who has missed the series. The trio of crime-solvers are a great blend of old and "wise", not as old, but eccentric, and a youthful overly sarcastic woman played by Selina Gomez, who really makes it work to perfection IMO