News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Some good free movies on tubi streaming channel

Started by squibber, November 30, 2020, 09:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

One of Bogart's greatest is  "The Maltese Falcon.  TCM is sponsoring its big screen showing in selected theaters in just a week or so.  Check it out on TCM.com & find out if its in a theater near you.

Bogart disparaged most of his movies.  But, when somebody asked him about "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre,"  he said, "Yeah that one was pretty good."  Check out that one; it's usually on TCM now & again.

Bob In PA

squibber: If you haven't seen The Engagement Ring and have access to Amazon Prime I highly recommend it if you like a good comedy with a bit of "romance" thrown in for good measure. 

I don't know which other platforms where you can view it free, but I'm sure there are a few.  It's from 2005....  the jokes are numerous and IMO none of them fall flat.....     

It stars Patricia Heaton (the wife in the Everybody Loves Raymond series).   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461660/fullcredits

I liked it particularly because I grew up with people like those portrayed (and more than a few are/were family members).

The characters are of Italian descent in the movie, but you don't have to be "very Italian" to have (or have met) people like this in your own family.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

squibber

Bob In PA

squibber

The Good Neighbor - This is a good movie. James Caan plays a creepy old hermit. Across the street from him are two teens that are into

Bob In PA

Squib:  I finally got to watch "Tracks" on Tubi and want to thank you for the recommendation. 

My wife and I both liked it very much, and she didn't fall asleep even once, which (in itself) constitutes a "five-star" rating!   LOL

Even if it weren't a true story (which it is) it would have been well worth watching, along with an admirable performance from by Mia Wasikowska. 

Must have been a labor of love, because making that movie could not have been fun for her.

I understand why you noted that it was somewhat "slow-moving" but IMO that added to the "feel" of the viewing experience (which I believe was intended to emphasize the length and grueling nature of the journey). 

Bob

squibber

Whitewash - Another quirky Thomas Haden Church movie. Thomas plays a loner in a small Canadian town. One night while drunk, he runs over his house guest with a snow plow. Thomas panics and drives off the road and into the woods. He drives and drives until he crashes and passes out. He wakes up in the middle of the snowy forest not knowing where he is.

Forget About It - Stars Burt Reynolds and Charles Durning. The movie is a silly poorly written comedy about three retirees who find a suitcase full of mob money. If you are nostalgic and like Burt and Charles(Raquel Welsh too), this movie is watchable. Some occasional good laughs.

squibber

Woman on the Fifth - This eclectic drama stars Ethan Hawke as an author who flies to Paris to try to make up with his estranged wife. She rejects him and he is crushed. While falling asleep on the bus, his money and suitcase is taken. He wanders into a run down cafe/hotel where the shady owner allows him to stay. Ethan begins an affair with a woman he met at an artsy social event. She may not be who she seems. The movie is mostly in French with English subtitles. I didn

squibber

Empathy, Inc. - A decent low budget scifi movie filmed in black and white. A down on his luck Silicon Valley exec runs into an old associate that tells him about his new start up. The start up offers virtual reality to well to do clients that allows them to experience what it is like to be poor and struggling. The purpose is to help clients feel better about their lives. The down on his luck guy convinces his father in law to invest his life savings into the start up but he slowly realizes the company has ulterior motives.

10 Items or Less - This movie isn

squibber

Cartel Land - Good documentary about two vigilante groups fighting the Mexican cartels. Warning, it shows decapitated heads. The first vigilante group is a bunch of Americans patrolling the border. The second group is far more interesting. A Mexican doctor forms a vigilante group and they clear the cartel out of nine nearby towns. Looks like a success story but things get very complicated.

The Domestics - A low brow violent post apocalyptic survival movie. The world is crop dusted with a deadly chemical that kills the vast majority of people. The new world is much like that in the Walking Dead. A young couple must travel through several dangerous gang lands to reach the woman

NapoleonBlownapart

If anyone is into Silent Films...

1919 - The Cabinet of Dr Caligari - Ceaser the Zombie! classic post WW! German effort that is stunning

1916 - Intolerance - billed at the time as the greatest motion picture ever made (not many made at that point lol) its 4 stories woven together with an incredible ending. a bit long tho..something like 4 hours

1920 - Der Golem - Paul Wagners Statue comes to life. remade in 1967 starring Roddy Mcdowell in "It"..1920's version was remake of 1914's lost in the war.

1925 - The Battleship Potemkin - Eisentsteins masterpiece of failed 1905 Russian Revolution. I had to write a paper for my Film class final in Rutgers. I chose this. Eisenstein shows a ruthless smiling russian soldier chopping the heads off flowers in the city interspliced with same smiling soldier chopping heads off of humans during battle.  This scene is often used to show the oppression of the Russian people under the Czar, destroying the city and its peoples as punishment and why the revolution finally happend in 1917.

More modern quirky movies

Targets - 1968 - Boris Karloffs last movie filmed before dying. An elderly horror film star, while making a personal appearance at a drive-in theatre, confronts a psychotic Vietnam War veteran who has turned into a mass-murdering sniper. Peter Bogdonavich directed

Duel - 1971 - Dennis Weaver - Steve Speilbergs "Road Rage" movie.  Check it out if you have not, its something that 50 years later, most of us have probably experienced to a degree.  very very powerful and well shot.  a favorite of mine since I was a kid

Race with the Devil - 1973 - Warren Oats/Peter Fonda entry. Two Families take camper on camping trip in Texas.  they witness murder.  they are then chased by Devil worshipers.  very scarey to a 10 yr old at the time. now, its rather silly in places

great thread!  thanks for some of the recomendations.

LennG

Duel was a TERRIFIC movie and, I believe, Spielberg's first real movie.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I remember watching Duel back when it was first released, I thought it was great. I will have to look for it again and have a re-watch.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Bob In PA

Quote from: NapoleonBlownapart on May 11, 2021, 08:04:22 PM
If anyone is into Silent Films...

1919 - The Cabinet of Dr Caligari - Ceaser the Zombie! classic post WW! German effort that is stunning

Nap: I've seen this one. I'm interested in old movies because some of them show us where all of today's supposed original ideas came from.  Chaplin, in particular, is borrowed from regularly.  Bob