News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Some good free movies on tubi streaming channel

Started by squibber, November 30, 2020, 09:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 11, 2021, 09:18:16 PM
Nap: I've seen this one. I'm interested in old movies because some of them show us where all of today's supposed original ideas came from.  Chaplin, in particular, is borrowed from regularly.  Bob

Bob: that's great! Chaplin, Keaton and Harold Lloyd are the trio of comics that were kings, and Fatty Arbuckle was the prince. 

Check out Harrold Lloyds 1923 masterpiece "Safety last"...it is one that will take the breath away...hint, its about the human fly explosion of the 1920's and climbing tall buildings. Lloyd did all his own stunts, much like Keaton and Chaplin. yet Keaton & Chaplin never did this daring of a movie with life on the line during any scene. breathtaking

A few more quirky modern films

1968 - The Swimmer - Burt Lancaster,  as a kid I thought this movie was cool, a guy going from yard to yard swimming pools in the neighborhood. now when I watch as a 58 year old? it is a very sad movie. maybe one of the saddest I have seen. nobody likes the guy and as a kid that went over my head.

1969 - Take the Money and Run - Woody Allen, well after the swimmer I had to lighten the moment.  IMO Woddy Allens finest is his first. The story of Virgil Starkwell the most unsuccessful bank robber in the world.  "Mary Hartman Mary Hartman" Louise Lasser plays his whiny wife. Done narration style.  I laugh from start to finish with this one, The only Woody Allen movie that I do.

1979 - over the edge - Matt Dillions first movie, this was banned in most states/cities in the USA.  This was life for some of us in the boring suburbs. Whereas 1982' "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was just like my SR Year, over the edge was just like my Sophomore year.  The power of this movie cannot be denied. It shows everything wrong with what our parents thought was the "perfect" place to live.  Filmed outside of Denver, it could have been filmed anywhere suburbs in the USA.

Bob In PA

Quote from: NapoleonBlownapart on May 11, 2021, 10:28:08 PM
Bob: that's great! Chaplin, Keaton and Harold Lloyd are the trio of comics that were kings, and Fatty Arbuckle was the prince. 

Check out Harrold Lloyds 1923 masterpiece "Safety last"...it is one that will take the breath away...hint, its about the human fly explosion of the 1920's and climbing tall buildings. Lloyd did all his own stunts, much like Keaton and Chaplin. yet Keaton & Chaplin never did this daring of a movie with life on the line during any scene. breathtaking

1968 - The Swimmer - Burt Lancaster,  as a kid I thought this movie was cool, a guy going from yard to yard swimming pools in the neighborhood. now when I watch as a 58 year old? it is a very sad movie. maybe one of the saddest I have seen. nobody likes the guy and as a kid that went over my head.

1969 - Take the Money and Run - Woody Allen, well after the swimmer I had to lighten the moment.  IMO Woddy Allens finest is his first. The story of Virgil Starkwell the most unsuccessful bank robber in the world.  "Mary Hartman Mary Hartman" Louise Lasser plays his whiny wife. Done narration style.  I laugh from start to finish with this one, The only Woody Allen movie that I do.

1979 - over the edge - Matt Dillions first movie, this was banned in most states/cities in the USA.  This was life for some of us in the boring suburbs. Whereas 1982' "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was just like my SR Year, over the edge was just like my Sophomore year.  The power of this movie cannot be denied. It shows everything wrong with what our parents thought was the "perfect" place to live.  Filmed outside of Denver, it could have been filmed anywhere suburbs in the USA.

Nap: I've seen "Safety Last" a few times.  It's excellent.  I have every Woody Allen movie on DVD (and there are a ton of them) as he's one of my all-time favorites. I've also seen "The Swimmer."  Good picks.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 11, 2021, 10:48:07 PM
Nap: I've seen "Safety Last" a few times.  It's excellent.  I have every Woody Allen movie on DVD (and there are a ton of them) as he's one of my all-time favorites. I've also seen "The Swimmer."  Good picks.  Bob

Thanks Bob. we all have good picks on here and I appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

The bank robbery scene where 2 groups of bank robbers show up and Woody has the crowd vote on who they would rather rob them, is about as silly as it gets!  or the deputy and the old women, when she tells him the obvious "those are the escaped convicts" and he replies deadpanned "I thought you were just a close family"... that movie never stops the laughs...and it was released on the heels of the very serious and great bank robbing movie "Bonnie & Clyde". I wonder if that why its an overlooked film and not as popular as "Sleeper" or many of his films?   its hysterical

Bob In PA

Quote from: NapoleonBlownapart on May 11, 2021, 11:04:11 PM
Thanks Bob. we all have good picks on here and I appreciate the sharing of knowledge.

The bank robbery scene where 2 groups of bank robbers show up and Woody has the crowd vote on who they would rather rob them, is about as silly as it gets!  or the deputy and the old women, when she tells him the obvious "those are the escaped convicts" and he replies deadpanned "I thought you were just a close family"... that movie never stops the laughs...and it was released on the heels of the very serious and great bank robbing movie "Bonnie & Clyde". I wonder if that why its an overlooked film and not as popular as "Sleeper" or many of his films?   its hysterical
Nap: Yes, there's a lot of silliness, which IMO enabled something like the Keystone Kops to rise up.  LOL

ozzie

Speaking of Woody Allen, I loved "Sleeper" too. I think that & Take the Money and Run are his two best.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Sem

Bob In PA

Quote from: Sem on May 12, 2021, 09:26:17 AM
Speaking of Woody Allen has everyone seen "What's Up Tiger Lily?"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061177/
Yes. To me that movie is like a preview of "coming attractions" for the rest of Woody's work. I like all the "early, funny ones." I think it's a direct quote from "Annie Hall" (a remark ladled w/sarcasm by the man himself). Bob

squibber

The Hero - This is a good movie. Sam Elliott is excellent as an unhappy washed up 71 year old actor. He is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has to come to terms with his mortality. He strikes up a romance with a free spirited much younger woman and he tries to mend his relationship with his daughter. I think this movie is Sam Elliott

Bob In PA

Quote from: squibber on May 23, 2021, 07:54:51 AM
The Hero - This is a good movie. Sam Elliott is excellent as an unhappy washed up 71 year old actor. He is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has to come to terms with his mortality. He strikes up a romance with a free spirited much younger woman and he tries to mend his relationship with his daughter. I think this movie is Sam Elliott

LennG

Quote from: NapoleonBlownapart on May 11, 2021, 10:28:08 PM

Sorry, I'm late to this party, I simply overlooked it while I was away.

Take the Money and Run--I fully agree with everyone else's assessment, just a hilarious movie from start to finish. Gosh, I haven't thought about this movie in years, but once reminded, I am smiling to myself, just thinking of certain parts. Like when his parents are being interviewed and they are wearing those silly disguises, the gun to break out of prison made of soap, and then it rains and yes, Louise Laser is special in this movie. (PS__I was a HUGE fan of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, never missed an episode)

The Swimmer--I still remember seeing this movie while I was in the Air Force, in Germany, in one of the 'movie nights' they had for recently released films. I hated it, thought it was so stupid and boring, and have never wanted to re-see it. I love Lancaster, but this movie, Bah Humbug.

The Matt Dillon movie I never saw
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: Sem on May 12, 2021, 09:26:17 AM
Speaking of Woody Allen has everyone seen "What's Up Tiger Lily?"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061177/

At the time, I thought this was the funniest movie I had ever seen. I still remember Allen's words was they were searching for his Grandma's recipe for Gefilte Fish.   =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: squibber on May 23, 2021, 07:54:51 AM

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on May 23, 2021, 12:54:47 PM
This is only me, but I HATE, with a capital H, all these movies about people dying and doing their thing before it happens. I realize this is an ongoing trend, right from the old Bette Davis movie Dark Victory and Gary Cooper as Lou Gehrig in Pride of the Yankees (this one I did see), I just avoid them like the plague. Again, I'm sure these are wonderful, tearjerker movies and play well with most people, just not me. I may be the only one that has never seen Brian's Song and Beat the Drum slowly. Just not my type of movie.
Lenn: Two things. 

If you hate that type of movie, I must ask... have you ever seen "The Bucket List?"  I assume "yes" but if not I urge you to give that movie a chance.  It's the best of the bunch.

As for "What's Up Tiger Lily?" I liked that one too (there are almost no Woody Allen movies I didn't like) BUT.... I didn't "get" the gefilte fish joke until just now. That line goes by really fast & I never gave it any thought.

Bob

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 23, 2021, 01:40:08 PM
Lenn: Two things. 

If you hate that type of movie, I must ask... have you ever seen "The Bucket List?"  I assume "yes" but if not I urge you to give that movie a chance.  It's the best of the bunch.

As for "What's Up Tiger Lily?" I liked that one too (there are almost no Woody Allen movies I didn't like) BUT.... I didn't "get" the gefilte fish joke until just now. That line goes by really fast & I never gave it any thought.

Bob

Bob

It has been many years since I've seen that movie, but if my memory is correct and it usually isn't, wasn't that the ongoing theme/joke of the entire movie, they were searching for the recipe for his Grandma's Gefilte Fish? I know there were many, many more subplots. I really have to rewatch it and laugh my head off again.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on May 23, 2021, 06:07:37 PM
Bob

It has been many years since I've seen that movie, but if my memory is correct and it usually isn't, wasn't that the ongoing theme/joke of the entire movie, they were searching for the recipe for his Grandma's Gefilte Fish? I know there were many, many more subplots. I really have to rewatch it and laugh my head off again.

I thought it was chicken soup, but it