News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Photography Assistance

Started by T200, January 27, 2021, 11:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

I'm inspired by the photos that Len, Ozzie, Frank, and Moose posted in the Photography thread. As some of you may know, my family and I started our own detailing business back in September. We have a website and social media presence but I want to add upscale, professional photos. With my very limited skills and Samsung Galaxy phone, I'd like to pick your brains and photographic eyes for some tips to take better photos.

Check out some of our work here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/shinebrothersautodetailing/photos/?ref=page_internal

I'm open to all criticisms and suggestions!

Thanks  :ok:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

I am not exactly a photography expert but two things struck me about your photos. 

1) You often had busy backgrounds which served to distract from the subject

2)  The reflections in many of the vehicles were distracting or even made the work look imperfect

I would suggest finding a less busy background or maybe even blurring backgrounds to let the subject "pop" more

I would be mindful of what is reflecting, you don't want to have the reflections of objects and the like distract from the fine work
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

One more thing, cropping is your friend.  Crop out as much of the background as possible.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Thanks for the feedback, Rich. Good to have non-professional eyes as well.

Looks like I'll have to invest in some better gear and software to edit the photos.

MightyGiants

One more suggestion.  In my current profession we are big on BBS (beg borrow and steal).   So I would suggest checking out this page that has all sorts of new car brochures.   It's a great way to see how the professionals present vehicles in the best possible light

https://www.auto-brochures.com/chevrolet.html

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Just my take

I agree with Rich in that you don't want the backgrounds to detract from your message.

As far as the reflections, that could be how you might want to present the cars, as like a 'mirror image' to say the cars are really shining. If not, then eliminate a lot of the sun glares.

I might also try a few more of the insides of the car. I liked the clean/dirty inside shot, and I would use more of them to sell your product.

I know most cars these days are pretty devoid of color, but you might want to find a car that is a lot brighter and that automatically catches people's eye.

Myself, I LOVE close-ups, but do they really display the work of detailing? Some are attractive pix but to have a close-up of a car hood, well, if that is the message you want to convey, it's great, myself, I prefer moving back a bit. You don't have to show the entire car, but more a focus on what you are trying to sell.
You might also try a side of a car, or the hood, that may have a few minor scratches that detaili9ng will remove, another before/after shot.

For some free detailing work I could be tempted into taking a few pixs (if the shop were in the NY area   :yes: :yes:)
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

Thanks for those tips, Len.

I do like the before/after shots and I'll continue doing those. Our top service is the paint correction and ceramic coating. I probably need to do a better job of highlighting sections instead of full shots.

I'll try and work on backgrounds. But because my shop is in a storage garage lot, there isn't much around for good shots aside from the couple of trees outside.

LennG

Quote from: T200 on January 27, 2021, 09:06:46 PM
Thanks for those tips, Len.

I do like the before/after shots and I'll continue doing those. Our top service is the paint correction and ceramic coating. I probably need to do a better job of highlighting sections instead of full shots.

I'll try and work on backgrounds. But because my shop is in a storage garage lot, there isn't much around for good shots aside from the couple of trees outside.

Tim

You could always move the cars, like drive them to a more appealing area, maybe a few trees or whatever, again, not to detract from the product you are trying to sell.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

Quote from: LennG on January 28, 2021, 12:30:22 PM
Tim

You could always move the cars, like drive them to a more appealing area, maybe a few trees or whatever, again, not to detract from the product you are trying to sell.
I drive them as little as possible lol

Less chance of a freak accident occurring. But I will focus a little more on incorporating more appealing, less distracting and busy backgrounds.  :ok:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 28, 2021, 12:47:49 PM
I drive them as little as possible lol

Less chance of a freak accident occurring. But I will focus a little more on incorporating more appealing, less distracting and busy backgrounds.  :ok:

or you can get good with photoshop or some other photo editing software that would allow you to fix up backgrounds.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 28, 2021, 12:58:10 PM
or you can get good with photoshop or some other photo editing software that would allow you to fix up backgrounds.
Yeah, that's another good option  :ok:

ozzie

I have to say I agree with what has been suggested so far. Less busy backgrounds will definitely help keep the eye on the autos.
Sometimes just taking a pic in different lighting will make a huge difference too.
Sorry I don't have more to offer here, but I think Rich & Lenn pretty much covered it.
Good luck!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara