News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

100 greatest movie songs

Started by LennG, February 10, 2021, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

So we've had the 100 best movie quotes, 100 best movies in every category, so why not the 100 best movie songs.

On going thru the list, I remember just about all of them and the rankings are what one likes and dislikes

https://stacker.com/stories/3991/100-greatest-movie-songs-100-years-film

I could add other songs to this list that I particularly like
Captain Spaulding
Luck Be  Lady Tonight (Pal Joey)
And just scabs of Disney songs from so many animated movies

More favorites?

But going thru the list brings back many great memories
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

When you say movie songs Lenny, does that also include classical scores?

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on February 10, 2021, 11:59:09 AM
I could add other songs to this list that I particularly like
Captain Spaulding
Luck Be  Lady Tonight (Pal Joey)

Lenn: Nice choices.  I'll bet only a few here know what "Captain Spaulding" is, and I'm not going to tell them LOL.  Since there are so many types of movies and movie music I'm going to "parallel" your picks.

Your first pick is a "go rogue" selection....  mine, in this category, is the Munchkin sequence from Wizard of OZ (which, technically, may not be a single song, but it's a single sequence which will never be paralleled IMO).

I will also stick with the same "genre" as your second selection..... my choice is "Sit Down You're Rockin' The Boat" sung by Stubby Kay in "Guys and Dolls."

Bob

PS. "Luck Be A Lady" is also from Guys and Dolls (I get the two shows confused also).  Or were you thinking of "The Lady Is A Tramp" (also a Sinatra song and it IS from Pal Joey?).
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on February 10, 2021, 12:05:30 PM

Gordon: Go for it.  See my reply.  Because there are so many types and genres of movie songs, I think we should categorize them (for the sake of later arguing whose choice is best LOL).  Bob

LennG

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on February 10, 2021, 12:05:30 PM

I didn't make the list, just posted it. If there are songs or scores you like, let's hear them.

I think the topic at hand was more songs than just movie scores, as that would need another top 100 list.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 10, 2021, 12:10:21 PM
Lenn: Nice choices.  I'll bet only a few here know what "Captain Spaulding" is, and I'm not going to tell them LOL.  Since there are so many types of movies and movie music I'm going to "parallel" your picks.

Your first pick is a "go rogue" selection....  mine, in this category, is the Munchkin sequence from Wizard of OZ (which, technically, may not be a single song, but it's a single sequence which will never be paralleled IMO).

I will also stick with the same "genre" as your second selection..... my choice is "Sit Down You're Rockin' The Boat" sung by Stubby Kay in "Guys and Dolls."

Bob

PS. "Luck Be A Lady" is also from Guys and Dolls (I get the two shows confused also).  Or were you thinking of "The Lady Is A Tramp" (also a Sinatra song and it IS from Pal Joey?).

My bad on the Pal Joey reference, and YES, Lady is a Tramp is another great addition.

You want me to go rogue, how about 'The Time Warp' from Rocky Horror Picture Show
Love Me Tender from movie of the same name
Give My Regards To Broadway--Yankee Doodle Dandy
Mamma Mia from Movie of same name (lots of good ones here)
Staying Alive-- Saturday Night Fever
And the list could go on

The so-called,  100 best list, IMVHO is also flawed, in that the MASH song, Suicide is Painless, most people just know as the theme from MASH and most don't even know the name
Others on the list are very questionable when there are so many better ones out there but it is all a matter of opinion and preference.
Like #85--Come What May from Moulin Rouge. I hated the movie and don't even know the song
And there are a few others, but again it's all how one sees it

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

In making those lists I believe they (probably wrongly) attempt to have the final list cover as many generations as possible (for maximum interest among the public.  Bob

jimv

Of course the list is flawed, Lenny.  It's flawed in my mind too.  That's because it's a personal list made up by the author.  You or I would most likely make up different lists too.  I like the additional songs you & Bob listed.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on February 10, 2021, 02:26:43 PM
I didn't make the list, just posted it. If there are songs or scores you like, let's hear them.

I think the topic at hand was more songs than just movie scores, as that would need another top 100 list.

I did not think that was your list Lenny, apologies if we misunderstood each other.

I thought the idea was fur us to post a list of music we like, hence my question would you rather want to have a list of "normal" music or movie scores. Let me give it a go... I may surprise some of you with my taste - despite my age.  ;)

I am the type of guy that is very attentive to the music when he watches a movie. In my view if the music / score is good, the movie automatically becomes more attractive.

GordonGekko80

GordonGekko80

Overall, I think Hans Zimmer is today what Ennio Morricone has been for the Spaghetti Western Movies or for movies like The Untouchables...

In 2019 Zimmer did the Movie Soundtrack for The Dark Phoenix (X-Men), not sure you guys are very much into those kind of movies but the movie score is fantastic (the main theme "Gap" is phenomenal). Worth listening in for sure.

jimv

If you're talking about movie scores, i have to say that Miklos Rozsa is, IMHO, the top composer. 
My top three scores in all the movies I have watched are:
1.  "Ben Hur"  Miklos Rozsa
2.  "The Magnificent Seven"  Elmer Bernstein
3.  "The Big Country"  Jerome Moross

Bob In PA

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on February 11, 2021, 05:49:41 AM
Overall, I think Hans Zimmer is today what Ennio Morricone has been for the Spaghetti Western Movies or for movies like The Untouchables...

In 2019 Zimmer did the Movie Soundtrack for The Dark Phoenix (X-Men), not sure you guys are very much into those kind of movies but the movie score is fantastic (the main theme "Gap" is phenomenal). Worth listening in for sure.

Gordon: I'm following your references. Morricone was iconic, as is Zimmer (and as jimv said, also Miklos Rozsa). But don't forget about John Williams and his many contributions including in Spielberg and Lucas movies). Bob

jimv

Bob, I intend on compiling a list of my favorite move score composers and John Williams is on it!

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 11, 2021, 10:33:25 AM
Gordon: I'm following your references. Morricone was iconic, as is Zimmer (and as jimv said, also Miklos Rozsa). But don't forget about John Williams and his many contributions including in Spielberg and Lucas movies). Bob

Oh absolutely... As a matter of fact my list has a few John Williams scores.

I also like Alan Silvestri as well as Henry Jackman very much. As I also like Thomas Newman - Meet Joe Black has been a very good score, too. Rather calm, but very well composed. Also liked American Beauty.

Let me heck out Rozsa - but am sure I will like that, too. :)