News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

TWD Season 10's Last 6 Episodes

Started by Ed Vette, February 25, 2021, 02:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 25, 2021, 02:44:59 PM
Begin this Sunday the 28th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_(season_10)

Is there any hope for this series? With Maggie back, but really what does she bring. I still say they should have ended it 2 years ago. I'll watch and probably wonder why come Monday morning.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Had to watch the final episode of last year and then the new series premiere. While I had seen the final episode when it was originally broadcast, really, I hardly remembered any of it, so I thought it was pretty good, except for the flimsy way they took out  Beta. I really expected a big fight before he met his doom. Instead, it was short and sweet.

So on to the new 6 episode arc before next season, it's last. I enjoyed the new first episode, though, as usual, I do have a few bones to pick. I guess my biggest regret is the way they simply ignore all the other things going on in the show and never tell us what's going on with others. Like with Eugene and crew surrounded by Star Wars baddies, and the new season starts and they are nowhere to be seen. Same for Gabriel and crew. I have watched series where they deal with every aspect on every show. They could spend the most time on this new arc, but, at least show us what happened at the cliffhanger.

So now we deal with The Reapers. A friend who reads the comics said that they aren't even mentioned, so we are off on a completely new path. I was sent an article, supposing what MIGHT happen, which I am posting if anyone wants to suppose along with it. No one knows anything at this point, except the show will end next season with Daryl and Carol, for sure, surviving.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/walking-dead-everything-we-know-about-the-reapers/ar-BB1dSWpW?ocid=mailsignout
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I was away the week before last, so I just got caught up watching the previous two episodes and waiting on tonite's show.

So, my take so far.

The shows have been decent enough, I think a bit better writing, and enough action to at least keep one interested. That said, I still go back to my biggest problem with this series, and who might be at fault, is anyone's guess.

They devote entire episodes to one theme, one set of characters, and the rest have the week off. Or, as it now seems, work one week and have 3-4 weeks off. I simply hate that. At the conclusion of last year's show, we saw some of our gang, surrounded by extras from an old Star Wars movie, and now, going into episode 4, we will finally get back to them to see what's up. Episode one Maggie's back, Episode 2 was just Daryl and Carol, episode 3 was Gabriel and Aaron. Again, I simply HATE this type of storytelling. Don't get me wrong, all the episodes were decent enough in their own way, but I simply do not understand this type of premises. It must be extremely cheaper to give the actors 3-4 weeks off and just concentrate on 2 characters per episode. It also makes the series go longer, but there is no reason we shouldn't know something about everyone or almost everyone, each and every week, even for just a glimpse.

The real spark has left this show many years ago, even now, there is no fear anyone will even get bit and be gone. if so, it would be some minor character. I will continue to watch as I am so invested in this show, but I see ways of making it much better, and the writers, producers, whoever, just don't see it that way. Pity.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on March 21, 2021, 06:29:47 PM
I was away the week before last, so I just got caught up watching the previous two episodes and waiting on tonite's show.

So, my take so far.

The shows have been decent enough, I think a bit better writing, and enough action to at least keep one interested. That said, I still go back to my biggest problem with this series, and who might be at fault, is anyone's guess.

They devote entire episodes to one theme, one set of characters, and the rest have the week off. Or, as it now seems, work one week and have 3-4 weeks off. I simply hate that. At the conclusion of last year's show, we saw some of our gang, surrounded by extras from an old Star Wars movie, and now, going into episode 4, we will finally get back to them to see what's up. Episode one Maggie's back, Episode 2 was just Daryl and Carol, episode 3 was Gabriel and Aaron. Again, I simply HATE this type of storytelling. Don't get me wrong, all the episodes were decent enough in their own way, but I simply do not understand this type of premises. It must be extremely cheaper to give the actors 3-4 weeks off and just concentrate on 2 characters per episode. It also makes the series go longer, but there is no reason we shouldn't know something about everyone or almost everyone, each and every week, even for just a glimpse.

The real spark has left this show many years ago, even now, there is no fear anyone will even get bit and be gone. if so, it would be some minor character. I will continue to watch as I am so invested in this show, but I see ways of making it much better, and the writers, producers, whoever, just don't see it that way. Pity.

I was commenting on this last night with Linda. The episodes focus on one character or aspect have fragmented the series. Next week ends this season and then they have one season to put it all back together for the series finale. I suspect a new national order bringing back civilization to from Hunter Gatherers to the beginnings of a society.

I have a lot of interest in looking back at ancient history and the Ice Ages that have a cycle every 100,000 years and what it did to reset civilization. The most recent Younger Dryas period that took place 11,700 YP where upper North America was covered in miles of ice and how that effected migration through the Bering Straits, lower sea levels and coastal migration, then to the melting and the catastrophic floods and the moving of the glacial ice sheets erasing everything. Global Warming of greenhouse gasses from crops methane gas and carbon from fuels have been one of the factors of holding off the Ice Age period we should be beginning right now. Imagine what would happen if coastal tide changes created areas of the North as uninhabitable and where people would have to migrate to. Or if the next time we pass into the Kuiper Belt as we do twice a year and a comet or meteor strike changes life was we know it. An Apocalypse would wipe out most and the survivors would be the Hunter Gatherers. The Ice would pound and grind down history into dust and land would disappear once the cycle rewarmed. Much worse than TWD.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on March 21, 2021, 06:29:47 PM

So, my take so far.

This could be caused by Covid.   I have seen other shows use this strategy.   Limit cast interaction so if one of them tests positive you don't have to shut everything down.

I am trying to get through the second episode but I am finding them boring as hell
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2021, 01:30:34 PM
This could be caused by Covid.   I have seen other shows use this strategy.   Limit cast interaction so if one of them tests positive you don't have to shut everything down.

I am trying to get through the second episode but I am finding them boring as hell
It could very well be, but, if not for the fact that they have done this several times in the past. I remember commenting on this exact thing when they all escaped from the prison. It took almost 2 years for them to reunite, but in that time, each episode dealt this a fraction of the crew. We also said the same thing when Negan and his Saviors were around. I think, to a man, we all said Negan was the most exciting character on the show and when he was on screen, the show seemed to be more alive, yet they ruined that by having Negan make appearances every 3 weeks or so.
Covid or not, this idea of just focusing on just a couple of characters each week, is poor showmanship.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Just watched this past Sunday's show, and like all the others, basically centered around one and two people, this time it was the Princess's turn. Had a few brief appearances by a couple of others, but they were nothing to the story.

My thoughts

Like we got Maggie back and here the hell is she?

My own take on some of this. There ARE great storylines out there right now. My one particular is Maggie and Negan. You saw when they did cross paths, it wasn't pleasant, yet nothing after that. This could have been a great storyline, Maggie and Negan. She hates him, he has become the hero of Alexandria so where do we go with it--they ignore it. We haven't seen them since the opening episode. Just not a good way to present a story.

On a side note, I used to watch Talking Dead faithfully, since the regular show has gotten so bad, and l despise Hardwick trying to tell us how great the show has been was just getting sickening. But I did watch 5 minutes of it on Sunday and he said this past show was the first time since the Walking Dead has been on that NO ONE got killed. not walker, not a person, no one, again, first time ever. You don't need killings to make a show good, but on a show about Zombies, the apocalypse etc. some action might be nice.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

I'm not a fan of the princess character. She's an idiot and take that stupid moth eaten jacket off. Investing an entire episode to her better have a significant reason. Btw, the mental illness psychotic episode was no "pow!" moment for me as they played it up on TD.

I can see Maggie killing Negan or at least trying to and getting killed herself. I don't like her character either and I would be fine if she was killed off.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

I know many of us, myself included, have been down on this show for a while now. Every season I have high hopes that the proverbial 'lightbulb' will go off and the show will magically return to some sort of form that we can sit and enjoy it, only to be terribly disappointed each year.

I just watched the latest episode of this limited season, and I have to say this in all honesty, this might have been the worst episode of the entire series--REALLY.
Be it the Covid virus stopping the real production or they are just trying to save money or whatever, but I was so annoyed and frustrated with this last show, that I almost turned it off in the middle.
Another show with just three people, Daryl, Carol, and some idiot moments by Jerry. Daryl and Carol are out in some forest looking for food. They split up and Daryl's dog, who has been with him for quite a while, just tags after Carol, no calling, just follows her away. So Daryl gets on his cycle and zooms away only to have engine problems and it dies. So he wanders about a bit and all of a sudden, in the middle of this forest are these old abandoned cars, that he can strip and get the needed supplies to fix his cycle. Amazing, who would think, in the middle of a forest, there would be a parking lot of abandoned cars.

Jerry, who we all liked and hoped would survive, was used as a sort of foolish person--just ridiculous. So Carol wanders back to Alexandria and there is NO ONE around except Jerry-NO ONE, in this entire city. So she goes out to gather weeds to make soup, chases a rat for about 5  minutes, and literally makes a fool of herself. Is this the same Carol who we have loved for so many seasons?

They made this huge decision to bring Maggie back, advertised it all over, and we have seen about 10 minutes of her this entire season, not since episode 1, same with Negan and so many others from Alexandria. Next week, and this season's finale, we get to see Negan and Maggie once again. Sorry folks but why I continue to watch this mess, I really have no idea. It just goes from bad to really bad and now to worst ever. Kill it now and save them all this embarrassment.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Lenny, you're missing the metaphors and symbolism you love so much in Better call Saul. Running out of gas bleeding out only to try to fix himself? Chasing a Rat or chasing what she hates in herself? The Dog instinctively knowing who needs him more at each point? The fork in the road only to come back together? The soup story as it equates to a society of ingredients being greater than the one?

These two have internal struggles they have been dealing with. Daryl has hidden his love for Carol and her relationship with Ezekiel hurt him. Carol chooses to escape rather than face complicated issues.

There's more that doesn't come to mind off the top of my head but there is that red pail as I recall or am I thinking of another show?

I think they are putting these side stories of inner struggles out there and Negan is next (which I'm looking forward to) for what is to come in the next season.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 01, 2021, 09:55:35 AM
Lenny, you're missing the metaphors and symbolism you love so much in Better call Saul. Running out of gas bleeding out only to try to fix himself? Chasing a Rat or chasing what she hates in herself? The Dog instinctively knowing who needs him more at each point? The fork in the road only to come back together? The soup story as it equates to a society of ingredients being greater than the one?

These two have internal struggles they have been dealing with. Daryl has hidden his love for Carol and her relationship with Ezekiel hurt him. Carol chooses to escape rather than face complicated issues.

There's more that doesn't come to mind off the top of my head but there is that red pail as I recall or am I thinking of another show?

I think they are putting these side stories of inner struggles out there and Negan is next (which I'm looking forward to) for what is to come in the next season.

Ed

I really feel happy that you are enjoying this. Sorry, but I just cannot say the same.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

"Negan was one of the best episodes of the entire series." Chris Hardwick.

I agree.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Ed

I kind of thought you would say what you did.

So my take. I like the Negan character. Overall, he is the best character, maybe except for Carol, on the show. I have said it since he joined the cast, that whenever he was on screen, the show seemed to be better and have an energy to it. Sadly, he isn't on as often as I would like and they wasted an entire year with him locked away in a cell.

So my take on this last episode. I did enjoy learning about Negan's past, especially how 'Lucille' came to be.  It was good TV. But, and you know there will be a but, how long has Negan been on the show now, 5 years maybe, in all that time, we barely knew squat about him, only he was married and his wife died. Now, after 5 years, they decide to give him an entire show to learn about him. Yes, I know you are probably thinking that all I do is nit-pick, and maybe so. The Walking Dead become a huge hit because of the adventure in it. There is simply no more adventure, all we get are life stories. That's fine if that satisfies you, me, it just doesn't. If you ever watched Lost, when it was in its hey-day, it did many such backgrounds so we got to know the characters and what makes them tick. When a show is on its last legs, IMVHO, is not the time to do backgrounds.
Again, it probably was the best show of this short season, but again, and this is just me, I found it lacking any excitement. In fact, since I DVR it, I fast-forwarded it a couple of times, to shoot past all the 'sappy' stuff. Is this supposed to make Negan better?

My entire point is and they briefly touched on it, is the coming battle between Maggie and Negan and THAT is where this season should have focused. Not on Carol being silly, Princess being an idiot, Daryl doing basically nothing. Gabriel out there also doing nothing.
This could have been a great season, at least if I were writing it. The conflict between Maggie, who saw her husband killed by this man, and Negan, who to our amazement, has reformed and is sort of the hero of Alexandria.

Charlie Weiss