News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Your home town

Started by philo43, March 10, 2021, 05:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philo43

On the what are you watching thread, Ozzie had mentioned a show by Stanley Tucci about Italian cooking.  I replied, knowing where he lives there is really no good Italian food. Got me to thinking about starting this thread.

I grew up in the Triple cities of NY (Binghamton, Johnson City and Endicott) I know SEM and JBG are from the area as well.

Some of the interesting things about this area are as follows.

1) A company called EJ (therefore the Endicott and Johnson City) was huge in the area in the beginning of the 1900's. They were a shoe manufacturing company - depending on what you read -they supplied 50 - 80% of the foot wear for the military in WW2.  Many immigrants coming through Ellis Island in the early years knew 2 English words and an abbreviation - "Which way EJ?".  Led to a large ethnic population in the early to mid 1900's - as SEM pointed out, to this day (minus COVID) there are still huge festivals for many of the ethnic groups.  1957 in Appalachian, the mafia gathering was busted up and J Edger Hoover was forced to admit there was an organized crime syndicate in the US.  The unique ethnic backgrounds and enclaves led to many great foods in the area.

2)  IBM started here, was only here for a long time, was headquartered here until the mid 80's when they moved their HQ

3) Dick's Sporting Goods started here in 1948,  Dick Stack had a 2 stall garage / gas station that he borrowed $300 from his grandmother to open his first bait and tackle shop.

4) On the sports side - there was the Binghamton Triplett's (Yankees top farm team) for over 50 years (1932-1968 minus 4 years in the 60's).  Many of the Yankee greats came through from Whitey Ford through Thurman Munson.  The major league Yankee team played an exhibition game every year here for many years.

Unique things about your home town?

Bob In PA

Philo: Nice post.  I was born and grew up in Hazleton, PA (birthplace and still the home of Bob Tucker, who was the Giants' excellent TE back when the team only had about three or four good players).

I went to school in Philadelphia and later in the vicinity of Harrisburg, PA, where I later worked at various jobs and in various capacities, a few of which were for the PA State government, and where I still live.

My claim to fame LOL... directly responsible for closing down FOUR state agencies which were, at best, of highly questionable value to taxpayers.  But despite my best efforts, the gov't here continues to exist.  =))

Another fact about Hazleton and the immediate (coal-mining) area is that we were the site of the very first "cable company" in the US (maybe in the world) and I knew some of the guys who started it.

The area is also where the movie "The Molly Maguires" was filmed, although it depicts events that actually occurred about 45 minutes south of Hazleton (down Interstate 81).

Bob

PS.  I seem to remember a company called Endicott-Johnson which (assuming I'm not dreaming LOL) is likely the same as the company to which you referred.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

philo43

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 10, 2021, 06:32:19 PM
PS.  I seem to remember a company called Endicott-Johnson which (assuming I'm not dreaming LOL) is likely the same as the company to which you referred.

You are correct - what was the cable company - and you are a failure - not shutting down the entire state government =))

Sem

Philo, I'm sure you know the story of the legendary hobo August Mastihuba. Wondering if you do as well Bob, since in his younger years he worked in the coal mines down by you until he lost an eye and moved up north. There was a movie made about him. I have a photograph of him hanging in our bedroom just to remind my wife that she could have done much worse than marrying me.  =))  The iconic picture was taken, (and signed), by Joe Buran at Buran's Tavern on Rogers Ave. in Endicott. Mastihuba would often wash the windows for a drink there. My grandparents lived next door, and for my early years (1 through 4) my family lived in their upstairs apartment.

philo43

SEM, never heard of him. Please enlighten

edit to add: even though we grew up 10 - 15 miles apart at basically the same time, the vast differences of the 60's was huge.

Sem

https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/connections/history/2014/10/13/masty-huba/17175837/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628016/

The movie (dvd) if you can find it is worth picking up. It was done locally in the Triple Cities and contains a lot of landmarks you'll recognize.

I remember hearing lots of stories from my dad and grandparents. He'd wash windows, sweep floors, and even dance for a nickle until he had enough for a drink. Often slept on back porches, or even in backyard dog houses. I was told that early most winters he' walk to a liquor store late at night and break the front window, reach in grab a bottle, and sit on the curb drinking it until the cops drove up. They'd arrest him, and put him in jail where he'd have food and a warm place to stay over the winter.
A bit of a local legend. 

Bob In PA

Quote from: Sem on March 10, 2021, 09:31:05 PM
https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/connections/history/2014/10/13/masty-huba/17175837/

The movie (dvd) if you can find it is worth picking up. It was done locally in the Triple Cities and contains a lot of landmarks you'll recognize.

I remember hearing lots of stories from my dad and grandparents. He'd wash windows, sweep floors, and even dance for a nickle until he had enough for a drink. Often slept on back porches, or even in backyard dog houses. I was told that early most winters he' walk to a liquor store late at night and break the front window, reach in grab a bottle, and sit on the curb drinking it until the cops drove up. They'd arrest him, and put him in jail where he'd have food and a warm place to stay over the winter.
A bit of a local legend.

Steve: No, I had not heard of him but I'll look up the movie and try to get a copy.  Thanks.  It's a great story.  Bob

Sem

By the way Philo in your opening post you mentioned EJ and IBM. I actually worked for both companies. I dropped out of college and bummed around a bit, then decided having a few bucks in my pocket would be a good thing. I got hired at EJ in one of their three warehouses. Stayed there about 18 months when IBM called. Left EJ for IBM where I worked for over 35 years until they "retired" me. 

Bob In PA

Quote from: philo43 on March 10, 2021, 07:00:52 PM
what was the cable company

philo and Sem: My memory sucks, but I think it was Mountain City Cable (or similar). One founder not always mentioned (but truly THE key man) was Joe Gans, Jr., whom I knew along with the rest of his family, as well as many other Hazletonians, most of whose names are incorrectly spelled in one or both of the links below.  The some correct names (all of whom I knew) were Frank and Palmer Correale (incorrectly "Corriele"), Charlie Gicking (incorrectly "Giking") and Paul Wentzel (incorrectly "Wentzkel").  I could write a lot more boring stuff, but just check out the links if you're at all interested.

A few other significant matters (you'll see why I've spent time doing this on a Giants website below.... LOL):
(1) You may ask "Why Hazleton?" Simply, it's the highest city in PA; but the service primarily began in order to serve areas that could not possibly have good antenna reception due to the terrain (same in Oregon).
(2) Incidentally, there are upstate NY connections to the story that might interest you or Steve, and they are recited in at least one of the links.
(3) What does cable TV have to do with the Giants? Well, as a kid I got to see all the great old NYC channels, like 11 (WPIX) and 9 (WWOR).  I mention these specifically because they broadcasted fantastic old movies every night if you stayed up late enough (which I did), some of the great old black and white TV shows (like Honeymooners, for instance) and yes, the Yankees (Mel Allen, Red Barber), Mets (Ralph Kiner), Knicks and Rangers..... and eventually there were.... the Giants (with some really fine teams, most of whom only came oh-so-close to winning NFL championships LOL).

Bob

https://www.cablecenter.org/programs/the-hauser-oral-history-project/g-listings/joseph-gans.html
https://www.cablecenter.org/images/files/pdf/CableHistory/CableTimelineFall2015.pdf

Bob In PA

Quote from: Sem on March 10, 2021, 09:31:05 PM

A bit of a local legend.

Steve: Looks like the movie is out of print and apparently no copy is or ever has been up for sale on sites like eBay, etc.  Bob

Sem

I was afraid of that Bob, it was a very limited release. I belong to an Endicott NY Facebook group, I'll ask there is anyone knows of any copies for sale. I know my brother bought a copy when it came out, if nothing else next time I go back home I'll burn a copy or copies.

philo43

Quote from: Sem on March 10, 2021, 10:16:51 PM
By the way Philo in your opening post you mentioned EJ and IBM. I actually worked for both companies. I dropped out of college and bummed around a bit, then decided having a few bucks in my pocket would be a good thing. I got hired at EJ in one of their three warehouses. Stayed there about 18 months when IBM called. Left EJ for IBM where I worked for over 35 years until they "retired" me.

Interesting.  IBM used to be the big thing in the area, until they screwed the pooch by concentrating on hardware not software, as well as becoming bloated with dotted line management to appease employees.  My dad retired from IBM Owego in the early 90's and he told me about the many dotted line promotions to keep people happy.  Used to be that once you were in, you were set for life.

When I graduated from CV in 1976, roughly 25% of my classmates were going to college, 10% were joining the military and about 33% were looking for a job for 1-2 years (that was about the time it took to get into IBM after putting in an application) before going to work for IBM.

As a side note - my sister in law started in IBM Endicott in the late 70's on 3rd shift - worked over 20 years - was laid off - has worked for the 2 iterations of IBM since then.

Jolly Blue Giant

Brings back memories of my father telling me stories. He was born in a house on Farm-to-Market Road when it was a dirt road and there was no ME school or golf course or major senior living complexes, etc. There was actually only a few houses on the road when my father was a child. He had to walk to a one room school house called "Country School" towards the end of the road. A couple times a week he'd take the horse and a cart and go to the end of the road where it ended up at East Main Road. Last I knew, there's an old building up there near the fire station with the faded sign painted on a concrete wall that says "ICE". Haven't been there in a long time though so it might be gone. F-t-M Road has grown like crazy since his birth back in the 1920's as any local knows. My Dad would go to that old building that says "ICE" to pick up a block of ice for the ice box back home. He used to rabbit hunt in what is now "Endwell Greens". 

Anyway, my grandfather and great grandfather (on my father's side) both worked at EJ's their entire lives. My grandfather's brother (Uncle Archie) did not work for EJ's and was made fun of for working at International Time Recording Company. My grandfather and his friends used to throw snowballs at a guy name Thomas Watson and the guy's company was kind of a joke compared to high-riding EJs. Anyway, to make a long story short, EJ's took good care of my great grandfather and grandfather and they lived a honest man's life and didn't have to worry about the Great Depression and the basic needs of every family. However; my great uncle Archie who chose to work for the time recording company was promoted, and promoted, and promoted as the company's name was changed to IBM. He retired to Miami a millionaire living the good life, swimming in his pool still when he was 96 yrs old and of course, got the last laugh on everyone who thought he should've hitched his wagon to EJs like everyone else in the family...LOL.

There was a time when the triple cities area was flush with opportunity and had world leading industries like IBM, Singer-Link Simulators, E-Js, and more. A dozen high tech companies spun off of IBM that made the area grow and prosper. A lot has changed in the last few decades and the area is no longer a prime area to move to in order to find excellent jobs. Real shame.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

philo43

Good job JBG,

Can't imagine how I failed to mention Link's (now Singer Link) in my original post.  What an impact he (Edwin Link) had on aviation - the flight simulator. Used to train over half a million pilots in WW2.

To make matters worse for me - I walked through the Link's parking lot every day (up hill both ways =))) to go to and from elementary school from Sep 1964 - June 1970.  How could I not mention it??????? Old age

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: philo43 on March 10, 2021, 05:49:56 PM
On the what are you watching thread, Ozzie had mentioned a show by Stanley Tucci about Italian cooking.  I replied, knowing where he lives there is really no good Italian food. Got me to thinking about starting this thread.

3) Dick's Sporting Goods started here in 1948,  Dick Stack had a 2 stall garage / gas station that he borrowed $300 from his grandmother to open his first bait and tackle shop.

Got me thinking about another story that locals from the Binghamton area might find interesting about Dick's Sporting Goods. But first I'll comment on the Italian food. In the 1940s, the Binghamton/Johnson City/Endicott area (know as the Triple Cities - hence the name of the Yankee's primary minor league club was called the "Triplets"), the population more than doubled. The largest influx of immigrants came from Italy and only knew a couple of words in English, mainly: "which way E J?". Once they got to EJ's, George F. Johnson would give them a job as EJ's was a huge company supplying most of the shoes and boots in America as well as our entire military. The huge influx of Italians is exactly the reason there are good Italian restaurants in the area as most of them brought their home cooking recipes straight from Italy. I remember having dinner with Nate Cortese one night and I asked him how he got started in the restaurant business. He told me it was his mother's idea so they opened a small restaurant. As a young man, Nate would take orders then call home to his mother who would cook the food and package it. Nate would then drive like crazy over to Conklin Ave, grab the food and bring it back to the restaurant and then serve it. Anyway - that just made me laugh. The restaurant is still a favorite among many people around the state. Nate was an incredibly good man...may he rest in peace.

Anyway, George Johnson was a kind-hearted man who did everything he could for his employees including financing their homes, their medical needs, building parks, putting in merry-go-rounds (the largest collection of merry-go-rounds in the world), golf courses, a cemetery in which he paid for his employees' funeral costs and gave them free plots, etc. He built a PGA golf course known as En-Joie, home of the BC Open for many years and now a regular stop on the Senior tour. Each green was in the shape of one of their shoe styles. The greens have since been modified, but originally, they were the shape of shoes.

One other thing of interest was the name "BC Open" which was named in honor of another guy (Johnny Hart) who was born in Endicott. Hart was the author of the comic strips "BC" and "Wizard of Id". So all the signs and paraphernalia around the golf course had characters from the BC comic strip. In the early years of Binghamton's hockey team, the team was called the "Broome Dusters" that also characterized everything from the BC comic strip. Those were the good old days for Binghamton locals. We loved that team!

Another thing about the area: George F. Johnson (father of EJs) and Thomas Watson (father of IBM) were always trying to outdo each other in taking care of their employees and going to great lengths to help the local families have a good life. Watson decided to start a college in an old house in Endicott called "Triple Cities College" and giving free education to employees who wanted to further their education and eventually get promoted. As the students outgrew the house, farmland was purchased in the town of Vestal and the school renamed Harpur College in honor of Robert Harpur who was an original settler and teacher in Binghamton. The 2-lane highway eventually turned into a nightmare jammed 4-6 lane highway known as Vestal Parkway and the college is now morphed into Binghamton University. Here's a picture of Vestal Parkway in 1951, two years before I was born:

The Parkway is now a congested nightmare and the only reason I ever use the road is to eat at Kampai or go to Best Buy...and then I take the backway on Old Vestal Road. Anyway, I digress as I ramble on this morning with nothing better to do.

The story I was going to share before getting sidetracked was about Dick's Sporting Goods. In the mid-late 60's, my brother started selling guns at school. Such a thing would be unheard of today, but that's how it used to be. It got to the point where plenty of kids were getting off the bus with long guns over their shoulder to go into the school and horsetrade or sell. It got to the point where the Principal would routinely announce on the morning PA system that if you brought a gun to school, make sure it is unloaded, keep it in your locker and only do your trading between classes. It didn't seem odd back in the day as we had a rifle range in the school as well as had a competitive rifle club competing against other kids from other schools. Go figure huh? LOL

Regardless, by the time my brother was 15 years old, he had sold and traded so many guns that he accumulated about 20,000 dollars cash. He got my father to get an FFL, then made a deal with Ithaca gun to sell guns on commission. Ithaca stocked my brother's shelves with about a hundred guns. My brother used his 20k to tear down part of the old barn and build a facade to have a legitimate gun shop. It was about 2000 sq. feet with rows of racks and glass cabinets purchased from another gun dealer going out of business in Syracuse. Remington Arms followed suit as did Rugar. But the early 70's, we had only one big competitor and that was Dick who had his gun shop on Court St. in Binghamton. We both sold guns and fishing equipment as well as bows and arrows for hunting. People would come to us and say they could buy a 10-22 Rugar at Dicks for 59.95, so we would sell the same thing for 55.00. People would go to Dicks and do the same thing and he'd knock off 5 bucks to beat us out. My father was a gunsmith so we did a lot of business in gun repair and the one thing we had on Dicks was our ability to "blue" and "re-blue" guns as well as build custom rifles. Anyway, this went on for a few years, each always trying to one-up the other.

Then one day, the Sun Bulletin (original morning paper in Binghamton) had an article about Dicks deciding to get into different kinds of sales including apparel, sneakers, and all kinds of sporting equipment like tennis, golf, baseball, and such with a de-emphasis on guns. We laughed out loud and went around high-fiving each other laughing and saying, "yeah baby, we won, we won". Needless to say, Dick certainly got the last laugh on that one as we eventually closed up shop in the late 80's and Dicks went on to be a multi-billion dollar business all across the U.S. He was right - we were wrong!  :'(
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: