News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What's your favorite all time movie

Started by LennG, March 13, 2021, 11:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

WE were away last week. Got home yesterday and turn on the TV after dinner to our favorite movie station TCM, so what is on, my favorite all-time movie, The Maltese Falcon, with Bogie at his film noir best and just a magnificent supporting cast. How can I not stop and watch it again,
Then as the movie ended, the host comes on and tells us Casablanca is on next, just another movie I have seen so many times, I almost know the script by heart, but who can turn it off once it starts, so it was Humphrey Bogart night in our house last night.
Many people consider Casablanca as one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, American movie ever made. After Casablanca, Citizen Kane came on, another movie that is proclaimed as the greatest American movie ever made. (Myself, I say it The Godfather) but that may be a topic for another thread. I started watching Kane, but sort of dozed off and missed most of it. Funny I have seen Kane several times, but it is not a movie, like Falcon or Casablanca that I would watch every t time it is on.

So a wonderful night of movie watching.

So what is your all-time favorite movie?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

That is really too difficult to answer because each genre fits a different mood at the time. I will only mention what I consider 5-star ratings for each genre and I'll underline the one I feel is the best.

For me: Tombstone is my favorite western, hands down. I also loved the HBO movie, Purgatory. But I'm not always into western movies anymore. Liked the spaghetti westerns with Eastwood, never cared much for any of the John Wayne movies.

For comedies, it is hard for me to find a move that makes me laugh more than Christmas Vacation, although Trading Places, My Cousin Vinny, The Hangover, Old School are all equally side splitting funny. Have to mention Something About Mary, Back to the Future, Crocodile Dundee, and We're the Millers. They crack me up!

For Drama, I love Tommy Lee Jones movies where he's chasing someone - my favorite would be Double Jeopardy followed by The Fugitive. I also tend to gravitate towards movies with Bruce Willis, my favorite being RED, and Bandits. One of my favorite legal dramas of all time is Primal Fear with Edward Norton and Richard Gere

Not a huge romance fan, but I love the movie Phenomenon with John Travolta, Robert Duvall, Kyra Sedgwick and Forest Whitaker. Also really liked Roman Holiday (not sure if that can be categorized as romance and should probably be under comedy). I have to admit I liked Runaway Bride

For family movies, I don't think it's possible to find a better movie than Second Hand Lions. In that category, The Sandlot and We Bought a Zoo is right up there though.

For Sci-Fi, not a big fan but loved the Men in Black series and Guardians of the Galaxy was good

Regardless, my tastes might seem eclectic compared to others and there is no way I could ever pick just one movie that I consider my all time favorite.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ozzie

I think I have mentioned this before, my #1 All-Time favorite movie is "Angles with Dirty Faces" starring James Cagney, Pat O'Brien & Humphrey Bogart along with the Dead End Kids.
It's both a gangster flick and a story about true friendship with what I think, is a great ending that leaves you guessing...
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Great list.

My idea of what I might say is my greatest movie and I guess you could put several in there, is a movie, even if I owned it, if I saw it on TV I would go out of my way to watch it again and again. A movie I thought so good, I could never tire of watching.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Lenn: My favorite movie ever... if I must do it, I'll do it... The Wizard Of Oz (1939).  Bob

PS. If you had asked what I believe is the greatest movie ever made, that would be much much more difficult to answer.....
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

jimv

Not a difficult question for me, Lenny.  Please remember, I'm the old fart here; even older than Lenny! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Since my childhood, my favorite was always "Gunga Din."  God, I loved that movie & still do.  It's now # 2 after a tie for #1.  The tie:  "Ben Hur" & "Man for All Seasons."

All the movies Lenny mentioned are ones I'd drop everything to watch like he does.  And, Bob mentioned one of the great, among many, movies of 1939.  If it says "1939," I'll watch it!  I saw those movies when they first came out! :yes: :yes: :yes:

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 13, 2021, 03:41:01 PM
Lenn: My favorite movie ever... if I must do it, I'll do it... The Wizard Of Oz (1939).  Bob

PS. If you had asked what I believe is the greatest movie ever made, that would be much much more difficult to answer.....

I did say in my OP that what one thinks is the greatest movie ever made would be a topic for a different thread.
Start it if you like.

Charlie Weiss

weeze

no reason to make a list of GREATEST movie ever made. Thats BEN HUR, nothing to discuss, subject is closed.
Favorite is "Yankee Doodle Dandy" but somewhere their is room for the GODFATHER 1 and 2 and Last of the Mohicans
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

DaveBrown74

I don't think I can single just one out. But if I had to make a short list, some that would for sure be on it would be (in no order of preference):

Goodfellas
Silence of The Lambs
Shawshank Redemption
Usual Suspects
Godfather
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Boogie Nights
Fargo
Rope
Rear Window
Full Metal Jacket

If I absolutely had to pick one it would be Goodfellas. I have watched that countless times and can probably all but recite it.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 14, 2021, 04:53:22 PM
I don't think I can single just one out. But if I had to make a short list, some that would for sure be on it would be (in no order of preference):

Goodfellas
Silence of The Lambs
Shawshank Redemption
Usual Suspects
Godfather
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Boogie Nights
Fargo
Rope
Rear Window
Full Metal Jacket

If I absolutely had to pick one it would be Goodfellas. I have watched that countless times and can probably all but recite it.

great choice, always in my top 10 of all time

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

It's tough because some movies simply don't age well or as I got older I changed.  I would list 10 movies I felt were impactful really good movies when I watched them.  I also include movies that when I was younger me and my friends would quote lines from for humorous effect

In no particular order

Jaws
Airplane
Hot Shots
Platoon
Unforgiven
Patton
The Dirty Dozen
Caddy Shack
Animal House
Porky's
Hollywood Nights
Cannon Ball Run
Smokie and the Bandit (and sequels)
Dirty Harry
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Mel Brooks History of the World
Yellow Beard
Stipes
Wizard of Oz
A Christmas Story
Blues Brothers
Poltergeists
Night of the Living Dead
Assault on Precinct 13
Rambo
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I want to add a few more great ones that I missed my first go around

Mississippi Burning
Outlaw Josey Wales
Full Metal Jacket
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 16, 2021, 10:34:50 AM
I want to add a few more great ones that I missed my first go around

Mississippi Burning
Outlaw Josey Wales
Full Metal Jacket
Rich you put up an excellent list, but if y ou had to choose ONE as your all time fav, which one???

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on March 16, 2021, 05:19:42 PM
Rich you put up an excellent list, but if y ou had to choose ONE as your all time fav, which one???

Len,

I am terrible at picking just one.  I even framed it to myself if I was going to be a desert island for a few years what movie would I take with me, and I still can't come up with an answer.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 17, 2021, 02:47:10 PM
Len,

I am terrible at picking just one.  I even framed it to myself if I was going to be a desert island for a few years what movie would I take with me, and I still can't come up with an answer.

Rich: Go read my answer under the topic "Greatest Movie Ever Made" for a possible method to sort through your choices and pick one.  Not suggesting you "copy" me in any way, but it may give you an idea for proceeding to make a determination. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!