News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Baseball and Hollywood

Started by LennG, March 20, 2021, 12:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I a couple of weeks the 2021 baseball season will begin. Over the years, baseball and Hollywood have had a great relationship, with many baseball themes movies made. Some were good, some were stinkers and some have become classics.

Take a look back at this retrospective of Baseball and Hollywood

Baseball and Hollywood: A retrospective

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/baseball-and-hollywood-a-retrospective/ss-BB18LaRQ?ocid=msedgdhp

There was a movie that wasn't mentioned here, that I, in particular,' loved, Kill The Umpire with William Bendix. Otherwise a pretty good list.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

OK... Best Baseball movie ever.... I'd really like to say "Pride of the Yankees" or "Field of Dreams" but I must stick with the obvious (to me):  The Natural.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

jimv

I admit that I'm old fashioned.  But, I prefer the 1951 "Angels in the Outfield" to the newer version.  "42" was OK but, they don't depict the correct version of Jackie first game in a Dodger uniform.  I was at his first game as a Dodger.  It was a Saturday game the weekend before the '47 season against the Dodgers at Ebbets Field,  I was sitting right behind home plate.  I too remember "Kill the Umpire."  And, Bob, all three of the movies you mentioned are on the top for me too.

Bob In PA

Quote from: jimv on March 20, 2021, 04:24:43 PM
I admit that I'm old fashioned.  But, I prefer the 1951 "Angels in the Outfield" to the newer version.  "42" was OK but, they don't depict the correct version of Jackie first game in a Dodger uniform.  I was at his first game as a Dodger.  It was a Saturday game the weekend before the '47 season against the Dodgers at Ebbets Field,  I was sitting right behind home plate.  I too remember "Kill the Umpire."  And, Bob, all three of the movies you mentioned are on the top for me too.

Jim: I liked both versions of Angels in the Outfield well enough. I really can't think of a baseball movie I didn't like.  I was entertained by "42" and "Kill The Umpire" also.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

ozzie

My favorite baseball moivies....
The Sandlot, Take me out to the Ballgame,  the original Bad News Bears and one that wasn't on that list...

"It Happens Every Spring" starring Ray Milland. It was a silly movie for sure, but I always enjoy watching it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041514/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on March 20, 2021, 06:42:17 PM
My favorite baseball moivies....
The Sandlot, Take me out to the Ballgame,  the original Bad News Bears and one that wasn't on that list...

"It Happens Every Spring" starring Ray Milland. It was a silly movie for sure, but I always enjoy watching it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041514/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

OK Lou, you have joined the group that needs glasses on whatever they read. I do believe It Happens Every Spring WAS on the list.

Don't worry, wait 'll you reach 75+ you won't remember what you did 1/2 an hour ago.  =)) =)) =)) =))
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

HAHAHAHA! I have indeed joined the club!
I just went back to check and there it was, plain as day. Not sure how I missed it, but in any case, I always enjoyed that movie.

Now what were we just talking about???
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara