News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

May as well try this - Greatest TV Series ever

Started by Bob In PA, March 21, 2021, 01:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Yes, there are legions... M*A*S*H,* Cheers, Twilight Zone, West Wing, Seinfeld, Honeymooners, Star Trek, Odd Couple, etc.  I'm sure you've already had a thread about great TV shows and great TV series.

But my question is this... you're on a boat and it's sinking... you have every episode of every TV series ever made... but you can only carry ONE ENTIRE SERIES with you... which one TV series would you take?

My choice is likely no one else's. Generally speaking it isn't even one of the acknowledged all-time classics.... I do, however, believe it stands the test of time and is not dated or passe (which would be important to me).

Because of its sheer variety of stories (and to avoid the monotony of having only a "formula" TV show to watch.... which IMO would quickly get very boring), I'd choose a series whose formula was.... no formula at all.

"Regis, my final answer is.... Northern Exposure."

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Sem

Similar to a top ten desert island discs (music) question asked everywhere.

I'll give this some thought Bob, but the first series that jumps out at me is Breaking Bad. No other series has gotten me so emotionally involved as that one. Your question is hard though because it's difficult to compare a series such as BB with a comedy series such as, (for me), Seinfeld, Cheers, Taxi, The Odd Couple, etc. Now throw in shows like The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, Late Night with David Letterman...and you might see how this might be damn near impossible.  I'll give it careful consideration and return later.

jimv

Bob, I'm gonna answer off the top of my head:  Person of Interest.

LennG

Bob

This is so judgemental, depending on circumstances

Now, if I am on this boat that is sinking and I am all alone and with no hope of ever being rescued, I might like a show that would cheer me up, like The Honeymooners or All In The Family or Cheers.

Now if I had a companion, maybe even of the female persuasion, who also was escaping this sinking boat, I might feel a bit better about my situation and opt for a show that would be deeper, like a Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. Game of Thrones or the Sopranos.

Since you didn't specify, I will go out on that limb that you extended and give you my all-time favorite TV show, one that most people wouldn't even put in their top ten, though it should be.

Ta-Da-- Hill Street Blues

With Breaking Bad a very close second

And for comic relief, I will always go with All In The Family
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: Sem on March 21, 2021, 02:18:23 PM
Similar to a top ten desert island discs (music) question asked everywhere.

I'll give this some thought Bob, but the first series that jumps out at me is Breaking Bad. No other series has gotten me so emotionally involved as that one. Your question is hard though because it's difficult to compare a series such as BB with a comedy series such as, (for me), Seinfeld, Cheers, Taxi, The Odd Couple, etc. Now throw in shows like The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, Late Night with David Letterman...and you might see how this might be damn near impossible.  I'll give it careful consideration and return later.

Steve: It's hard, so I gave a few reasons for my choice. Factors that influence you might differ, so that will help me understand your final answer. 

I never saw "Breaking Bad" I will now (because you think that highly of it).  How many seasons is it, and is it "over" yet or still continuing?

I probably should have limited my question to series that have ended.  My bad.

Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: jimv on March 21, 2021, 02:36:49 PM
Bob, I'm gonna answer off the top of my head:  Person of Interest.

Jim: Another series I have not seen.  Same question as I asked Steve.... how many seasons, and is the series "over" or is it still continuing.  Should have limited my topic to series that are over and done with.  Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on March 21, 2021, 02:43:27 PM
Now, if I am on this boat that is sinking and I am all alone and with no hope of ever being rescued, I might like a show that would cheer me up, like The Honeymooners or All In The Family or Cheers.

Now if I had a companion, maybe even of the female persuasion, who also was escaping this sinking boat, I might feel a bit better about my situation and opt for a show that would be deeper, like a Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. Game of Thrones or the Sopranos.

Since you didn't specify, I will go out on that limb that you extended and give you my all-time favorite TV show, one that most people wouldn't even put in their top ten, though it should be.

Ta-Da-- Hill Street Blues     With Breaking Bad a very close second    And for comic relief, I will always go with All In The Family
Lenn:  Great explanation.  Thanks.  Hill Street Blues was indeed a great series.  Will be watching Breaking Bad (since it almost got two votes with out of three responses).  Bob

Sem

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 21, 2021, 02:51:19 PM
Lenn:  Great explanation.  Thanks.  Hill Street Blues was indeed a great series.  Will be watching Breaking Bad (since it almost got two votes with out of three responses).  Bob
Bob, BB has ended, I believe it was 6 seasons. Last I knew all seasons were available on Netflix.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Sem on March 21, 2021, 03:44:27 PM
Bob, BB has ended, I believe it was 6 seasons. Last I knew all seasons were available on Netflix.

I will take a "career risk" and get my wife to watch it, too.  LOL  I'll let you know when we reach the end.

jimv

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 21, 2021, 02:48:54 PM
Jim: Another series I have not seen.  Same question as I asked Steve.... how many seasons, and is the series "over" or is it still continuing.  Should have limited my topic to series that are over and done with.  Bob

It was on for five seasons.  I think it was on ABC.  I didn't watch it while it was on because I don't generally watch the "Three" networks.  And, in my later life, I'm not inclined to watch series because I dislike waiting a week between episodes.  But, I read a story about the series & found out Jim Caviezel (one of my fav actors) starred in it.  So, bought the entire series.  That way, I can watch at a pace that I can set for myself.  And, after the five seasons, it had a definite ending which, IMO, was bittersweet.

Bob In PA

Quote from: jimv on March 21, 2021, 03:55:26 PM

It was on for five seasons.  I think it was on ABC.  I didn't watch it while it was on because I don't generally watch the "Three" networks.  And, in my later life, I'm not inclined to watch series because I dislike waiting a week between episodes.  But, I read a story about the series & found out Jim Caviezel (one of my fav actors) starred in it.  So, bought the entire series.  That way, I can watch at a pace that I can set for myself.  And, after the five seasons, it had a definite ending which, IMO, was bittersweet.

Jim: I lucked out. I've seen Len's; both yours and Steve's are completed (and short, unlike mine, which went on forever - I do highly recommend it, but it is an "acquired taste" and a bit off-beat). Bob

LennG

Bob

If we start talking about Breaking Bad again, it will be like admiring a great work of art. Be aware, it is not for everyone. Some people just don't get the entire premise, but it is TV at its best. Again, be aware that parts are cute, parts are funny, but most of it is RAW, with violent killings and very harsh characters. My wife watched 1/2 of one episode because I kept telling her how great it was and she left very quickly. Since it was on AMC originally, there is no sex and most of the violence is a bit subdued than you might get on say HBO. Doris is more the Hallmark Channel type and BB is about as far from that as one can get. But it is riveting TV and once you start, if you like it, you will hunger for more and more, you won't be able to stop watching.

As I said, I watched it from day one. I still remember telling my friends about this great new show, Breaking Bad and no one even knew what the heck I was talking about. It really didn't hit its major stride until maybe season 3, but that is with the general public catching on. It was great from season 1 and continued to get better and better.

Just be aware, this isn't 'family' entertainment. It is about drug dealers, drug makers, and everything they can do to make this business go.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on March 21, 2021, 06:09:46 PM
Bob

If we start talking about Breaking Bad again, it will be like admiring a great work of art. Be aware, it is not for everyone. Some people just don't get the entire premise, but it is TV at its best. Again, be aware that parts are cute, parts are funny, but most of it is RAW, with violent killings and very harsh characters. My wife watched 1/2 of one episode because I kept telling her how great it was and she left very quickly. Since it was on AMC originally, there is no sex and most of the violence is a bit subdued than you might get on say HBO. Doris is more the Hallmark Channel type and BB is about as far from that as one can get. But it is riveting TV and once you start, if you like it, you will hunger for more and more, you won't be able to stop watching.

As I said, I watched it from day one. I still remember telling my friends about this great new show, Breaking Bad and no one even knew what the heck I was talking about. It really didn't hit its major stride until maybe season 3, but that is with the general public catching on. It was great from season 1 and continued to get better and better.

Just be aware, this isn't 'family' entertainment. It is about drug dealers, drug makers, and everything they can do to make this business go.
Lenn: Thanks. I appreciate it, but neither of us is deterred by that warning.  I told my wife about it (I had seen just the first episode long long ago). She's all in, and watches equivalent stuff fairly often.

Although she often falls asleep in the middle of stuff, she always manages to keep track of the story line.... should have been a screenwriter; usually can predict the ending of a show after watching 20 minutes or less.

The description you gave applies as well to Northern Exposure (but on the opposite end of the spectrum... it is fair lighter fare, but you have to watch several episodes until the series "hits its stride").

Bob

jimv

If you remember, I said "Person of Interest" was off the top of my head.  Actually, I'll put my vote in for "Kojak."  I watched every episode of every season and, and the seasons became available, i bought them (the made for TV movies too).  My all-time favorite episode is "Queen of the Gypsies."

Bob In PA

Quote from: jimv on March 21, 2021, 08:28:01 PM
If you remember, I said "Person of Interest" was off the top of my head.  Actually, I'll put my vote in for "Kojak."  I watched every episode of every season and, and the seasons became available, i bought them (the made for TV movies too).  My all-time favorite episode is "Queen of the Gypsies."

Jim: Kojak was always one of my favorite series (and my favorite cop show) because Telly (and Stavros) made it entertaining and fun. It replaced "Cannon" and ran about five or six seasons... a true classic of its time.  Bob