News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

May as well try this - Greatest TV Series ever

Started by Bob In PA, March 21, 2021, 01:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 21, 2021, 07:45:09 PM
Lenn: Thanks. I appreciate it, but neither of us is deterred by that warning.  I told my wife about it (I had seen just the first episode long long ago). She's all in, and watches equivalent stuff fairly often.

Although she often falls asleep in the middle of stuff, she always manages to keep track of the story line.... should have been a screenwriter; usually can predict the ending of a show after watching 20 minutes or less.

The description you gave applies as well to Northern Exposure (but on the opposite end of the spectrum... it is fair lighter fare, but you have to watch several episodes until the series "hits its stride").

Bob

Bob

Both Doris and I watched Northern Exposure when it was on and we both enjoyed it very much. Great cast and premises and
we really fell in love with John Corbett, followed him to My Greek Wedding and then to Sex and the City.

Gave many 'new' actors a chance to show their stuff and move on to bigger and better things.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

My favorite (the kind of show you change your schedule so you don't miss the next episode and talk about it the next day with fellow workers) was "Twin Peaks". There's some very close seconds for me like "Fargo" and "Lost"

For comedy (that's a toughy because there are so many) but I don't think it's possible to beat "Three and a Half Men". The supporting cast was incredible (Berta the Maid, Rose the Stalker, Evelyn the Morally Loose Unloving Mother, Alan the Bumbling Brother, Jake the Lovable But Slow Kid, Judith the Vengeful Ex-Wife, Dr. Linda the Sarcastic Psychiatrist, and of course, there was the centerpiece (not a supporting character) Charlie the Man Whore. Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Big Bang Theory all deserve a shout out. They just didn't tickle me quite as much as Three and Half Men
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 27, 2021, 04:39:19 PM
My favorite (the kind of show you change your schedule so you don't miss the next episode and talk about it the next day with fellow workers) was "Twin Peaks". There's some very close seconds for me like "Fargo" and "Lost"

For comedy (that's a toughy because there are so many) but I don't think it's possible to beat "Three and a Half Men". The supporting cast was incredible (Berta the Maid, Rose the Stalker, Evelyn the Morally Loose Unloving Mother, Alan the Bumbling Brother, Jake the Lovable But Slow Kid, Judith the Vengeful Ex-Wife, Dr. Linda the Sarcastic Psychiatrist, and of course, there was the centerpiece (not a supporting character) Charlie the Man Whore. Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Big Bang Theory all deserve a shout out. They just didn't tickle me quite as much as Three and Half Men

Jolly: "Twin Peaks" is one series I never watched that I wish I had. Hopefully I'll get to it some day. From what I know about it, I think it will stand the test of time (won't seem "passe" or out-of-date).  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

What's the expression, One man's pleasure is another man's pain (or something like that). I basically hated Twin Peaks. I tried the first few episodes and said goodbye. Davis Lynch has never really been my cup of tea although there are a couple of things he did, that I did enjoy. same as that thread we had about the Coen brothers and their movies. I loved most of them, but I know others who never watched one, or did try it and left very quickly.  Not their cup of tea.

\Funny though, I usually like some of those 'quirky' things as I fully agree about Fargo.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 27, 2021, 04:58:25 PM
Jolly: "Twin Peaks" is one series I never watched that I wish I had. Hopefully I'll get to it some day. From what I know about it, I think it will stand the test of time (won't seem "passe" or out-of-date).  Bob

Bob, it's available on Netflix. It's worth an hour of your time to just watch the first episode to see if you get hooked or not. And never ever Google to find out something or it ruins it...LOL
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: