News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tailgate-Bar Room Chat Thread

Started by Ed Vette, April 07, 2021, 11:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

Bob, the non darkened parts of the floor are pretty shiny actually so I think it has a polyurethane coating. I

squibber

Lenn, thanks for the advice. I guess the expensive option is the only option. That

Bob In PA

Quote from: squibber on April 22, 2021, 08:35:21 PM
Lenn, thanks for the advice. I guess the expensive option is the only option. That
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

squibber

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 23, 2021, 12:38:01 AM
squib: Everyone I asked agrees with Lenn. If you're resigned to spending the money, get a mild floor cleaner and try it on a small area... just to be sure. But be careful to first read the label of anything you use... even certain mild cleaners specify they are NOT for wood floors!!! My wife says (and I agree) if you already need to call in a pro, you haven't got much to lose by trying (if you use a product intended for cleaning wood). Bob

Bob, thanks for the sound advice!

Ed Vette

Quote from: squibber on April 23, 2021, 07:31:04 AM
Bob, thanks for the sound advice!

If the floor still shines and you think the poly is intact, then try cleaning the area yourself. There is a product called Bruce's Hardwood Floor Cleaner. Go to Home Depot and get a the spray bottle and buy the poly buffer pad with the stick handle. It will also bring back some of the luster so I recommend you do it on the entire floor. The affected area may take a few attempts. I use it once a month or as needed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bruce%27s+hardwood+floor+cleaner&sxsrf=ALeKk00IQpKm8AXIlyCBY-foKY6y8QFZeg:1619182202807&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Cb4wiCSbwW_dwM%252CMWqbiMnNxLimlM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQPhS1EiKBCFbQqHT0pIRMVHZ9lgw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqgJngs5TwAhWRg-AKHRHQCS0Q_h0wA3oECBsQCQ&biw=931&bih=516&dpr=3#imgrc=Cb4wiCSbwW_dwM

https://us.e-cloth.com/products/10620-deep-clean-mop?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4ImEBhDFARIsAGOTMj-mutQ5WsxLE29N8OAeP-ohdOKpasfEib1_Uq_-Wxt0yOVDXs5IPY0aAmfiEALw_wcB

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

squibber

Jolly Blue Giant

Interesting subject as I too had stains on my hardwood floors. I ended up renting equipment to refinish the main floors. It took a few days of prep and sanding (especially getting into the corners where the machine didn't reach) and then spent hours on my hands and knees putting on three coats of satin polyurethane over a 2-week period. Lotta work!

Since we are sitting on a bar stool, here's a question:

What is a better feeling - hitting a home run and the feel of the bat in your hands when you know you "got it" or, hitting the sweet spot with your driver and dropping the ball exactly where you wanted it about 350 yards away?

I really want to know because I have never had a drive like that, although in HS and college (and later in life, fast pitch softball) I hit multiple HRs and it is a great feeling - simply an incredible feeling. For some reason, my hand eye coordination was such that seeing/timing/shifting weight at a 90 mph fastball coming towards me came easy to me, but for the life of me, I can't seem to consistently hit my driver like I'd like. With thousands of swings, I've hit some solid shots, but the ball hooks or slices or just ends up lost in the woods. Any good feeling in my hands are erased by knowing the ball is probably lost. The harder I try, the more likely I am to worm hop it or skull it so bad that it's embarrassing. And if there's water, my balls automatically seek it out and grasp it from the air - so consistently that it seems like a conspiracy from the Almighty! So, in order to play a reasonable round of golf, I take easy 3/4 swings to let the club do the work while my golf partners out drive me by a hundred yards and tell me lovely things like "hike up your skirt next time" or ask me "does your husband play?", etc. I can't "grip it and rip it" because if I try to hit the ball long and hard, I never marry that sweet spot on the club head with the ball. It looks so easy and people tell me my hands are right, my stance is right, and that my swing is exactly what it should be. So why can't I hit the @#$ little white ball like I used to hit baseballs and the ole Dudley softballs? I want to know that feeling of driving a ball like an amateur DeChambeau ~X(
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

philo43

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 25, 2021, 10:12:13 AM
Interesting subject as I too had stains on my hardwood floors. I ended up renting equipment to refinish the main floors. It took a few days of prep and sanding (especially getting into the corners where the machine didn't reach) and then spent hours on my hands and knees putting on three coats of satin polyurethane over a 2-week period. Lotta work!

Since we are sitting on a bar stool, here's a question:

What is a better feeling - hitting a home run and the feel of the bat in your hands when you know you "got it" or, hitting the sweet spot with your driver and dropping the ball exactly where you wanted it about 350 yards away?

I really want to know because I have never had a drive like that, although in HS and college (and later in life, fast pitch softball) I hit multiple HRs and it is a great feeling - simply an incredible feeling. For some reason, my hand eye coordination was such that seeing/timing/shifting weight at a 90 mph fastball coming towards me came easy to me, but for the life of me, I can't seem to consistently hit my driver like I'd like. With thousands of swings, I've hit some solid shots, but the ball hooks or slices or just ends up lost in the woods. Any good feeling in my hands are erased by knowing the ball is probably lost. The harder I try, the more likely I am to worm hop it or skull it so bad that it's embarrassing. And if there's water, my balls automatically seek it out and grasp it from the air - so consistently that it seems like a conspiracy from the Almighty! So, in order to play a reasonable round of golf, I take easy 3/4 swings to let the club do the work while my golf partners out drive me by a hundred yards and tell me lovely things like "hike up your skirt next time" or ask me "does your husband play?", etc. I can't "grip it and rip it" because if I try to hit the ball long and hard, I never marry that sweet spot on the club head with the ball. It looks so easy and people tell me my hands are right, my stance is right, and that my swing is exactly what it should be. So why can't I hit the @#$ little white ball like I used to hit baseballs and the ole Dudley softballs? I want to know that feeling of driving a ball like an amateur DeChambeau ~X(

JBG how true!!!!

I only golf once or twice a year - mostly to hang out with friends and have a couple of beers.  If there is a hazard to the left I hook it it, to the right I slice it.

Did you ever play Genegantslet  back in the day?  They had a hole (long since changed  - can't remember what number) that used to run parallel to Rt 12.  I took out a car's windshield while it was driving up Rt 12 with a wicked slice once.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: philo43 on April 25, 2021, 10:48:38 AM
JBG how true!!!!

I only golf once or twice a year - mostly to hang out with friends and have a couple of beers.  If there is a hazard to the left I hook it it, to the right I slice it.

Did you ever play Genegantslet  back in the day?  They had a hole (long since changed  - can't remember what number) that used to run parallel to Rt 12.  I took out a car's windshield while it was driving up Rt 12 with a wicked slice once.

Yeah, I've played Genny a few times. I mostly play Ely or Maple Hill in Marathon. I try to get out once a week, but my golf partner got in a wreck a few weeks ago and is in bad shape. You may have read about it. He fell asleep on Rt 81 along that stretch across from SUNY Broome and ran into a tractor trailer. The next week, all the large electronic signs on 81 and 17 had things like, "Stay Awake - Live", etc. It's what happens when you try to work 80 hours a week and keep up with his son's soccer games and his daughter's field hockey games. Anyway, last year my grandson got really into golfing so he is now my partner. He pushes me to get out and be active. In the winter, he constantly drags me out to go skiing and he's getting good enough that it's getting hard to keep up with him.

Getting back to Genny. The most memorable shot I had there was one of my shots that dribbled into the water. Very close to the shore line and only in a couple inches of water so it was possible to stand on the bank without getting wet and hitting the submerged ball. I chose a wedge because I was only about 50 yards out from the hole. Anyway, I took a full swing and displaced about 2 gallons of water right on top of my head. I was soaked from head to tail...LOL. My "buddies" really got a kick out of it!

Here's a couple of shots with my grandson (Willowbrook Golf Course, Cortland, NY):

Jolly Blue Giant

New bar room subject:

Racquetball or Squash?

Tennis or Pickleball?

As for me (at 68 years old), I prefer Squash over Racquetball even though I was the Racquetball champ in college for a couple of years. I just don't have the energy and endurance to chase the bouncy racquetball like I used to. Squash is more mental IMO, sorta like playing chess compared to playing checkers. There are no second chances when a ball gets beyond you and bounces back for a second chance to recover like with racquetball. I still play squash on occasion, but have trouble digging the ball out of the bucket or when the ball is too close to the side wall.

I don't have the flexibility, endurance, and eye sight that I used to have and I used to love tennis. Haven't played it in a couple years now. I have never tried pickleball, but it looks right up my ally. Maybe once I get to move to Florida, I'll get to play it. Anyone here have experience with pickleball?

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 25, 2021, 01:48:40 PM
New bar room subject:

Racquetball or Squash?

Tennis or Pickleball?

As for me (at 68 years old), I prefer Squash over Racquetball even though I was the Racquetball champ in college for a couple of years. I just don't have the energy and endurance to chase the bouncy racquetball like I used to. Squash is more mental IMO, sorta like playing chess compared to playing checkers. There are no second chances when a ball gets beyond you and bounces back for a second chance to recover like with racquetball. I still play squash on occasion, but have trouble digging the ball out of the bucket or when the ball is too close to the side wall.

I don't have the flexibility, endurance, and eye sight that I used to have and I used to love tennis. Haven't played it in a couple years now. I have never tried pickleball, but it looks right up my ally. Maybe once I get to move to Florida, I'll get to play it. Anyone here have experience with pickleball?
Jolly: For me it was once racquetball and tennis (I don't think pickle-ball had been invented back then LOL). These days, it is just tennis, and rarely that.  It's not due to old age but rather to lack of free time.  Bob

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 25, 2021, 02:48:08 PM
Jolly: For me it was once racquetball and tennis (I don't think pickle-ball had been invented back then LOL). These days, it is just tennis, and rarely that.  It's not due to old age but rather to lack of free time.  Bob

I don't think the game is more than a few years old. I've never played it because I've never been around a court and don't even know where I'd find one. I would like to try it though and I suspect I'd really like it because it's less running. Specially now that I'm an old fart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtCRY67SqvU

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 25, 2021, 06:36:38 PM
I don't think the game is more than a few years old. I've never played it because I've never been around a court and don't even know where I'd find one. I would like to try it though and I suspect I'd really like it because it's less running. Specially now that I'm an old fart!
Jolly: It's a bit like playing ping-pong while standing on the table.  LOL

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 25, 2021, 11:42:52 PM
Jolly: It's a bit like playing ping-pong while standing on the table.  LOL

That's what it seems like to me as well. I love ping pong and I love tennis - sort of a compromise  :laugh:

squibber

Jolly Blue Giant, I have to go hitting a slow pitch softball over hitting a golf ball although I didn