News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Critical Race theory

Started by FL GMAN, April 18, 2021, 11:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL GMAN

There were 2 stories this week on CRT. One involved a math teacher and the other a parent. They were 2 different schools in Manhattan that are considered elite and are quite expensive. Both men wrote letters that were highly critical of the teaching and implementation of CRT in the schools. The main objection, IMHO, was that CRT was overwhelming traditional teaching methods and made race front and center in any discussion. It also stated the schools were not interested in Listening to different opinions. I'm not sure if anyone here saw this but i was quite surprised to hear the details of this theory and the dismissal of any counter opinion by the schools. I am interested if anyone here has heard about this and what they're feelings are.

MightyGiants

I have a different theory on race as it relates to the right-wing propaganda machine that former Republican John Boehner referred to in his new book.  The right-wing propaganda machine is whipping up a frenzy of fear, anger, and hatred among white Americans.  It was no accident that the seditious attack on our capital building includes a mixture of conservatives, Trump supporters, AND white supremacists.   You have an unabashed white supremacist on FOX News, Tucker Carlson who every night whips up the fear and anger with white supremacy talking points (many open white supremacists have praised the work of Tucker Carlson).  Tucker claims to not be racist while literally pushing the ideas that white people and white culture are superior and preferential.   

I mean here we have a thread where someone in Florida heard not one but two stories about what is being taught in some elite school in Manhatten.   Normally what is taught in a private school tends to interest no one beyond those attending the school or have children in the school.  However, since "critical race theory" is an ideal scare tactic among so many white Americans, it gets overblown coverage by the right-wing propaganda network.  Our nation is changing demographically and there are changes in what is or isn't tolerated in terms of racial inequality.  The BLM protests over the George Floyd murder is a prime example of that fundamental change in how our nation views race.

While serving no other purpose but to scare and whip up anger and hate in white Americans, these stories about critical race theory have a rather clear element of hypocrisy.   When social media cracked down on FALSE right-wing propaganda, the right-wing propaganda network screamed bloody murder and declared the rise of an evil cancel culture.   Then turns around and wants to cancel ideas about racial equality and dynamics in this nation, that they find unacceptable.   

So I these stories that the right-wing propaganda network is creating a narrative of brown skin Americans working hard to make white Americans second class citizens hardly surprises or shocks me (although it does appaul me)   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich: To the greatest extent possible given the specifics of the issue, I have taken the words of your post and re-written them, reversing the references.  IMO, my post is no less true than yours.  Bob

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 19, 2021, 10:12:29 AM
I have a different theory on race as it relates to the LEFT-wing propaganda machine CONSISTING OF THE VAST MAJORITY OF NEWSPAPERS, INTERNET SITES AND CABLE TV STATIONS.  The LEFT-wing propaganda machine is whipping up a frenzy of fear, anger, and hatred among BLACK Americans.  It was no accident that the seditious attacks on our VARIOUS DEMOCRAT-CONTROLLED CITIES LAST SUMMER includes a mixture of LIBERAL, BIDEN/OBAMA SUPPORTERS, PEOPLE WHO HATE AMERICA, AND BLACK supremacists.   You have an unabashed BLACK supremacist on MSNBC, JOY REID who every night whips up the fear and anger with BLACK supremacy talking points (many open BLACK supremacists have praised the work of JOY REID).  REID claims to not be racist while literally pushing the ideas that BLACK people and BLACK culture are VICTIMS.   

While serving no other purpose but to scare and whip up anger and hate in BLACK Americans, these stories about BLACK "VICTIMHOOD" have a rather clear element of hypocrisy.

So stories that the LEFT-wing propaganda MACHINE IS creating a narrative of WHITE skin Americans working hard to KEEP BLACK Americans second class citizens hardly surprises or shocks me (although it does appall me)

PS. Not picking on Joy Reid, per se.  I had to pick one for purposes of this exercise.  Maybe I should have chosen Don Lemon of CNN. 
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

FL GMAN

Mighty i don't understand your response, are you saying that CRT does not exist?  The teacher was a 20 year veteran of the school and a math teacher. The parent wrote an articulate email outlining his concerns. I myself had little knowledge of CRT and wondered if someone here had. Or maybe your mail is not about CRT I'm not sure.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 19, 2021, 10:41:47 AM
LEFT-wing propaganda machine CONSISTING OF THE VAST MAJORITY OF NEWSPAPERS, INTERNET SITES AND CABLE TV STATIONS

This is another nefarious "success story" of the right-wing propaganda machine.  The machine has pushed a sizeable portion of our population so far to the right that from their extremist vantage point the "vast majority of mainstream media" is part of a "left-wing propaganda machine".  Of course, such extremism comes with a price such as increased domestic terrorism

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/interactive/2021/domestic-terrorism-data/

The other price is that destroying our mainstream media's credibility destroys the watchdogs of our democracy.  That destruction has led to two (or three) attempted coups where actors attempted to overthrow our government and replace it with a GOP dictatorship.   

Quote from: FL GMAN on April 19, 2021, 11:08:07 AM
Mighty i don't understand your response, are you saying that CRT does not exist?  The teacher was a 20 year veteran of the school and a math teacher. The parent wrote an articulate email outlining his concerns. I myself had little knowledge of CRT and wondered if someone here had. Or maybe your mail is not about CRT I'm not sure.

It exists, but it certainly isn't the threat to white Americans that the right-wing propaganda network has made it out to be.   The whole concept is pure right-wing propaganda designed stir up racial division, and fear, anger, and hatred.

This is a prime example.  The NY Post, FOX news and the blog of a right-wing propagandist all come together to try and destroy our nation via racial division and the creation of plenty of angry scared white Americans

https://nypost.com/2021/02/05/website-tracks-where-critical-race-theory-taught-at-us-schools/

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich: Once again, it's very easy to make a true statement by simply "reversing" your words. This kind of communication does not advance discussion.  IMO, it is not the way for Americans to "unify" and coexist.  Bob

This is another nefarious "success story" of the LEFT-wing propaganda machine.  The machine has pushed a sizeable portion of our population so far to the LEFT that from their extremist vantage point TUCKER CARLSON is part of a "RIGHT-wing propaganda machine."  Of course, such extremism comes with a price such as increased domestic terrorism BY ANTIFA, AMONG OTHER GROUPS.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 19, 2021, 11:39:42 AM
Rich: Once again, it's very easy to make a true statement by simply "reversing" your words. This kind of communication does not advance discussion.  IMO, it is not the way for Americans to "unify" and coexist.  Bob

Bob,

You can reverse the wording, but it doesn't make it true.  It simply demonstrates the false equivalence fallacy
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 19, 2021, 11:42:39 AM
Bob,

You can reverse the wording, but it doesn't make it true.  It simply demonstrates the false equivalence fallacy

Rich: You're confusing the false equivalence fallacy with my long-winded manner of demonstrating that both sides employ the same (often despicable) tactics in making political arguments and advancing their causes.

An example of false equivalence is saying that BECAUSE a knife & dynamite are both tools that can be used as weapons, if we allow people to buy knives at the store, we should also allow them to buy dynamite.

MY point is... We, the people, are being "played" by both sides... and any person who is unaware of (or who refuses to acknowledge) that fact has essentially sucommed to a type of "brainwashing."  Not good.

Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 19, 2021, 12:14:51 PM
Rich: You're confusing the false equivalence fallacy with my long-winded manner of demonstrating that both sides employ the same (often despicable) tactics in making political arguments and advancing their causes.

An example of false equivalence is saying that BECAUSE a knife & dynamite are both tools that can be used as weapons, if we allow people to buy knives at the store, we should also allow them to buy dynamite.

MY point is... We, the people, are being "played" by both sides... and any person who is unaware of (or who refuses to acknowledge) that fact has essentially sucommed to a type of "brainwashing."  Not good.

Bob

Bob,

You keep saying both sides.  Both sides didn't attack our capita.  Both sides didn't try to overthrow our government.   Both sides have terrorist incidents but it's vastly coming from the right.  Even here at our site, everyone that has stormed off has been from the right, and not "both sides".   

Technically you are right in the sense that both sides employ similar tactics, however, the magnitudes are vastly different as is the success rates.  The other glaring difference is the right has it's own environment that allows misinformation and ignorance of information to flourish while the left generally functions in the same fact environment as the main stream media so misinformation is quickly identified and shot down as opposed to the right where it's amplified unchecked

I know the right likes to compare the attack on our capital/attempted coup with the riots that followed Floyd's murder.   Only there is a difference between anger over an actual and factual (and hardly in isolation) killing of an unarmed black man (who was cuffed and outnumbered) and anger over losing an election which was amplified by the lie that the election was stolen by minorities in cities. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE