News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The absolutely funny Benny Hill

Started by LennG, April 30, 2021, 02:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Lenn: I miss Benny Hill.  Died fairly young.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

ozzie

Benny Hill was a riot! Loved watching his show.
I wonder how much of his show would be considered "inapropriate" today...
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: ozzie on April 30, 2021, 08:11:32 PM
Benny Hill was a riot! Loved watching his show.
I wonder how much of his show would be considered "inapropriate" today...

Ozzie - was thinking the same thing.  His takes on "Kojak", "Fartsky & Stuch" and all the rest are so funny to us....but to people whom are not familiar?

I wonder if stand up comedians are a thing of the past...or will that platform return to be the only thing acceptable in this cancel the previous culture(s) world?

ozzie

I believe stand up comedy is taking some lumps. I know some of the comedians I like have said playing the college circuit now is almost non existent. Everyone is so "Politically Correct" and offended by everything. Can you just imagine Don Rickles trying to make a living today?? :o
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: ozzie on May 07, 2021, 05:05:51 PM
I believe stand up comedy is taking some lumps. I know some of the comedians I like have said playing the college circuit now is almost non existent. Everyone is so "Politically Correct" and offended by everything. Can you just imagine Don Rickles trying to make a living today?? :o

no way!  A mob or Mobs of different cancel culture vultures would show up in protest and probably drown out his act!

quick Rickles bit Johnny Carson show circa 1973 seated on the couch "Yea Johnny just got married again..(laughter/applause then he looks at Johnny)... its great that her intials are " JC" Johnny! you wont have to change the towels in the guest bathrooms"....

Bob In PA

Quote from: NapoleonBlownapart on May 10, 2021, 05:25:08 PM

no way!  A mob or Mobs of different cancel culture vultures would show up in protest and probably drown out his act!

quick Rickles bit Johnny Carson show circa 1973 seated on the couch "Yea Johnny just got married again..(laughter/applause then he looks at Johnny)... its great that her intials are " JC" Johnny! you wont have to change the towels in the guest bathrooms"....

Nap: I have seen that episode several times.  I have a Rickels DVD collection that contains probably all of his Carson Show appearances.  Bob

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 10, 2021, 05:33:06 PM
Nap: I have seen that episode several times.  I have a Rickels DVD collection that contains probably all of his Carson Show appearances.  Bob

Bob - do you have the "Dean Martin Roasts"? 

ozzie

some of the Dean Martin roasts are available on Amozon Prime now. I've watched quite a few of them. Very Funny stuff!

John Mara

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: ozzie on May 10, 2021, 05:53:33 PM
some of the Dean Martin roasts are available on Amozon Prime now. I've watched quite a few of them. Very Funny stuff!

Ozzie - a couple of months ago DECADES channel did its weekend binge and showed edited versions of the Roasts.   One trick pony comedians like Foster Brooks are edited out completely! I have a VHS collection I ordered in 1990 (?) that are full shows. Brooks drunk chatter brought howls of laughter circa 1975...but when I watch now? I don't think its that funny after a while I want him to get off the stage and let Rickles or anyone take over!

speaking of one trick comedians...you folks remember "You can call me Ray, you can call me Jay..." guy? His naming of names would go on for about 2 mins while the audience laughed...he always ended all the names you could call him with..."but you doesn't have to call me Mr Johnson" his foil would then say "but Mr Johnson" and he would start all over again spouting names you can call him...I groaned when I saw that act then, now I just skip him

Bob In PA

Quote from: NapoleonBlownapart on May 10, 2021, 05:45:48 PM
Bob - do you have the "Dean Martin Roasts"?
Yes I do.  They are an endless source of entertainment for me and my wife (and my 99 11/12 year old mom... yes, she will turn 100 in June). They would probably not go over to well in today's social atmosphere.  Bob

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 10, 2021, 07:02:41 PM
Yes I do.  They are an endless source of entertainment for me and my wife (and my 99 11/12 year old mom... yes, she will turn 100 in June). They would probably not go over to well in today's social atmosphere.  Bob

That's wonderful Bob! God bless her!...my Mom is 85 and she also enjoys watching them. 

no they don't go over well for many reasons imo. younger people watching would not get most of the in-jokes due to time period or be very offended by the ethnicity ribbing. Dean Martin to Freddie Prinz "Freddie made the show just in time. He was released from Jail today for stealing hubcaps off the set of Chico and the man" 

NapoleonBlownapart

Back to Benny Hill

The reason I love Benny Hill is the versatility he brings.  triple threat old time vaudeville of comedy singing dancing....and both sets of my grandparents used to watch him! He transcended generations and the entire family, unbelievable as it sounds with todays cancel culture, would sit and watch the shows....and everyone laughed!  go figure a family all laughing together in 2021.