News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Name your top 3 Clint Eastwood Movies

Started by MightyGiants, May 24, 2021, 02:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

What were your top 3 Clint Eastwood movies?  why?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Unforgiven is a masterpiece. Clear number one.
Outlaw Josey Wales
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly directed by Sergio Leone.

DaveBrown74

1. Unforgiven: Just a superb movie on every level. Western genre but has a real human side and just elite acting, cinematography, etc. Just an all-around top notch movie.

2. Gran Torino: Incredible movie. One of those movies genuinely worthy of laughter and crying throughout. Even though this was late in his career I genuinely think it is one of his best.

3. Million Dollar Baby: A real downer, but unquestionably a phenomenal movie.

It's not top three, but I really enjoyed "In the Line of Fire" as well. Malkovich was so good in that. It had a lot of corny, cheap one-liner jokes though that I thought dragged it down a little.

I was never as big on the early western stuff. Out of all of those, I probably liked "Fistful of Dollars" the most.

LennG

My all-time favorite Clint movie is 'The Outlaw Josie Wales. Gosh, if I see it on, anytime, I just keep watching it
Second, as most have already mentioned is Unforgiven--Me, a sucker for a good western and this is like dying and going to that special place in heaven. Without a doubt, one of the top 3 westerns of all time.
Third, I would also say The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. True, it was a spaghetti western, but unlike the first two, here was a real story and Clint was able to act, instead of just puffing that silly cigarette and shooting 50 people per movie.

Surprised no one mentioned the Dirty Harry series.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

katkavage

Quote from: LennG on May 24, 2021, 09:32:58 PM
My all-time favorite Clint movie is 'The Outlaw Josie Wales. Gosh, if I see it on, anytime, I just keep watching it
Second, as most have already mentioned is Unforgiven--Me, a sucker for a good western and this is like dying and going to that special place in heaven. Without a doubt, one of the top 3 westerns of all time.
Third, I would also say The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. True, it was a spaghetti western, but unlike the first two, here was a real story and Clint was able to act, instead of just puffing that silly cigarette and shooting 50 people per movie.

Surprised no one mentioned the Dirty Harry series.

Dirty Harry was a classic of its time. But that's what it was, of the time. The other movies you mentioned are timeless.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on May 25, 2021, 08:21:19 AM
Dirty Harry was a classic of its time. But that's what it was, of the time. The other movies you mentioned are timeless.

Yeah, the 70s were a time when it felt like crime was winning.  The Dirty Hary movies were great escapism that allowed us to feel like a man with single-minded purpose who ignored the rules could make a difference.  In today's era, the movies now seem sort of dated.

I think Unforgiven was great

I am with Len, Outlaw Josey Wales was a great movie

I also liked Gran Torino

I am embarrassed to admit it but I really enjoyed his Every Which Way but Loose and the sequel

I think one underappreciated classic may have been Heartbreak Ridge
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

Wow, such a tough question. It's hard to find an Eastwood movie I don't like. I'm going to go off the beaten path here a bit and say:

Hang 'em High

In the Line of Fire

Kelly's Heroes

I think I picked these three because he plays a different type character in all three. He may be the ultimate "Western" star along with John Wayne, but I liked when he broke out of that genre.

Honorable mention to "Absolute Power"
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

jimv

Absolute Power

Grand Torino

Unforgiven

DaveBrown74

Another movie I enjoyed that Clint didn't act in but that he directed was Mystic River. Excellent, gripping crime drama with superb acting from multiple big name actors.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 26, 2021, 07:02:24 AM
Another movie I enjoyed that Clint didn't act in but that he directed was Mystic River. Excellent, gripping crime drama with superb acting from multiple big name actors.

Since the top[ic didn't specify that Clint had to act in it, I agree, Mystic  River was a wonderful movie.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on May 26, 2021, 11:26:08 AM
Since the top[ic didn't specify that Clint had to act in it, I agree, Mystic  River was a wonderful movie.

Wish I could take credit for this, but it was purely accidental.   So have it, directed or acted in  =D>
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE