News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you want a self driving car or would you want to continue to drive?

Started by MightyGiants, May 25, 2021, 09:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Self-driving cars are not that far off.   How do you feel about them?  Would you want one or would you be a hold-out? 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich: Inasmuch as IMO they'll undergo super-rigorous testing (due to the inevitable series of lawsuits likely... no matter how careful they are) I would "trust" such a car more than my rapidly aging eyesight.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 25, 2021, 09:51:07 AM
Rich: Inasmuch as IMO they'll undergo super-rigorous testing (due to the inevitable series of lawsuits likely... no matter how careful they are) I would "trust" such a car more than my rapidly aging eyesight.  Bob

I also favor self-driving with my biggest motivation being how much of my time I could recapture if I was relieved of the burden of driving and could just be a passenger.  With today's always-connected world, there is so much I could do as a passenger versus being the driver
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 25, 2021, 09:57:15 AM
I also favor self-driving with my biggest motivation being how much of my time I could recapture if I was relieved of the burden of driving and could just be a passenger.  With today's always-connected world, there is so much I could do as a passenger versus being the driver
Rich: Yeah, it would be like being a big-shot who can afford to pay a limo with driver.  I can think of a lot of stuff I'd rather do than stare at a highway hour after hour on a long trip.  LOL

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 25, 2021, 09:57:15 AM

Precisely my view. To be able to recapture all the time spent driving and become a passenger for that time opens up the possibility of getting so much more done during car trips. Or to just be able to relax and even doze off. I'm all-in on self-driving cars. Sign me up as soon as they're fully tested/approved and out on the open market.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 25, 2021, 11:05:36 AM
Precisely my view. To be able to recapture all the time spent driving and become a passenger for that time opens up the possibility of getting so much more done during car trips. Or to just be able to relax and even doze off. I'm all-in on self-driving cars. Sign me up as soon as they're fully tested/approved and out on the open market.

Sorry but I have the opposite view. I LOVE to drive. I really do. Not the driving of an interstate, or the Indy 500, but driving back roads of areas we are in, stopping whenever we feel like, and just enjoying the trip. To be a passenger, I would take a tour bus and gaze out the window. just not the same. As some know, I consider myself a decent amateur photographer, and with that said, I drove around constantly looking for what I feel are the 'good shots'. Sometimes I see something, pass it and then think, hey I may never see that again, so it's a U-turn, and go back to see what I missed.

To me, driving is fun, provided there is no traffic, which I think is the worst thing in the world. If you were referring to time spent sitting in your car, just waiting in traffic, I would agree, but when one is able to just drive, windows open, smelling the beach air, country air, mountain air, there is nothing like it. Stopping whenever the mood suits you, finding that great ice cream stand in some small town saying, hey, let's just stop for a while and chill out.

Again, if I wanted to just look out the window, I would be on a bus, I want to experience the road.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on May 25, 2021, 02:33:58 PM
Sorry but I have the opposite view. I LOVE to drive. I really do. Not the driving of an interstate, or the Indy 500, but driving back roads of areas we are in, stopping whenever we feel like, and just enjoying the trip. To be a passenger, I would take a tour bus and gaze out the window. just not the same. As some know, I consider myself a decent amateur photographer, and with that said, I drove around constantly looking for what I feel are the 'good shots'. Sometimes I see something, pass it and then think, hey I may never see that again, so it's a U-turn, and go back to see what I missed.

To me, driving is fun, provided there is no traffic, which I think is the worst thing in the world. If you were referring to time spent sitting in your car, just waiting in traffic, I would agree, but when one is able to just drive, windows open, smelling the beach air, country air, mountain air, there is nothing like it. Stopping whenever the mood suits you, finding that great ice cream stand in some small town saying, hey, let's just stop for a while and chill out.

Again, if I wanted to just look out the window, I would be on a bus, I want to experience the road.
Lenn: What would this site be without "the opposite view!"  I agree that sometimes driving is fun.  Viewed in that context, of course we don't want to get rid of "people-controlled" cars.

Further, I do want to personally pilot my own "flying car" if they get around to developing that before my time and eyesight have expired. 

I figure if George Jetson could do it, I can too.

Bob