News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Have you stuck your nose in the Poconos?

Started by squibber, June 03, 2021, 08:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

OK, Squib, I am far from an expert on the Poconos, but I have been there quite a few times.

Let's see how I can e explain this best. Most of the attractions and resorts are located in the eastern part, starting at East Stroudsburg. Years ago this was Timeshare alley with many resorts, all trying for those NYers to come and buy timeshares there. Now, I believe only Shawnee is left doing business and they have been taken over by Wyndham. In fact, we were just there for a week about a month or so ago. Our son just bought a house in the Northern Pocono area around Dingman's ferry. Anyway, going along Rt 209 heading north you go thru what was once, as I said, resort alley, now there are many restaurants, attractions, and all sorts of people trying to get you on the water, rafting, kayaking, tubing, etc.
As you travel West, basically where you're going, to Jim Thorpe, it gets much more rural. I have only been to Jom Thorpe once, many years ago so I cannot comment on what is there and anything in that particular area.

As I said, we mostly stay more east and do a lot of things in the Delaware Water Gap area, so that's the best I can offer.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

squibber

Lenn,

That surely helps. I could not pinpoint where the highest activity was for restaurants and stuff to do. Jim Thorpe looks pretty and they have a small walkable main street with some shops and restaurants. There is also a railway ride from there. Jim Thorpe is probably a one day thing so it's good to know where else to look.

Thanks, Lenn!

Bob In PA

squib: I did poke-my-nose there a few teams.  The town of Jim Thorpe (formerly known as Mauch Chunk, by the way) is a very salt-of-the-Earth type community. Its sister city is Lehighton, just across the river.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Look up at the sky at night and see all the stars. Seriously.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 04, 2021, 10:00:46 AM
Look up at the sky at night and see all the stars. Seriously.

Hey, he was asking about noses, not eyes.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

squibber

I just got back from the Poconos.

If you are ever near Stroudsburg and you are craving Italian food, I highly recommend Momento Pizzaria and Restaurant. The food was excellent.  It was one of the best Italian meals I ever had(outside of my mother of course).  The owner was a popular master chef in Manhattan. The restaurant is located across from Stroud Mall.

The town of Jim Thorpe is really nice. You feel like you are in an old European town. Walking up and down Broadway Ave. where the shops and restaurants are was fun.  At the end of Broadway is an old train station that gives 70 minute scenic drives. I wanted to go but my wife wasn't in the mood.  We parked on Broadway and didn't notice the parking ticket kiosk 50 feet away. When we got back to the car, there was a parking ticket on our car.

The weather can be strange. Our hotel is in Blakeslee. On Tuesday it was chilly. When we got to Jim Thorpe, it was hot outside.

All in all, it was a nice three day getaway.

LennG

Glad you had a good time.

Probably knew you were a Giants fan, hence the ticket, Eagle country there.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Charlie Weiss