News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT--Cleveland Guardians

Started by ELCHALJE, July 23, 2021, 10:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slugsy-Narrows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Brown

Farewell Louis Sockalexis.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

ozzie

:boooo: - not a fan of the name
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

madbadger

Whoever picked that name must have a room temperature iq. I get that they had to change it but good lord they couldn

Bob In PA

Really, guys, could you think of a worse name?  The Guardians sounds like some sci-fi movie... or a trade name for a lousy baby-sitting service.  LOL  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

I suspect something that they thought phonetically resembled Indians.

Sem

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 23, 2021, 02:59:11 PM
Really, guys, could you think of a worse name?

Yes they already did, that's why they're changing it.

ozzie

Quote from: madbadger on July 23, 2021, 02:56:54 PM
Whoever picked that name must have a room temperature iq. I get that they had to change it but good lord they couldn
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Maybe I am really being naive here, but what was really wrong with "Indians' as a nickname? How is the word Indian derogatory?

I can understand Redskin, Redmen, et al, but names like Indians and Braves, to me, at least, represent power and are, in no way derogatory.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on July 23, 2021, 08:52:43 PM
Maybe I am really being naive here, but what was really wrong with "Indians' as a nickname? How is the word Indian derogatory?

I can understand Redskin, Redmen, et al, but names like Indians and Braves, to me, at least, represent power and are, in no way derogatory.

I don
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

I guess for the same reasons that the accepted term for this ethnic group switched from "Indians" to "Native Americans." Clearly the term "Indians" (in reference to Native Americans) is now considered at best passe, if not offensive. Of course that wasn't the case when this name for the baseball team was first decided on in the early 20th century, but times obviously change.

MightyGiants

Len,

I suspect it has less to do with the term "Indians".   Rather it has more to do with the Chief Wahoo Logo

Of course, the term "Indians" is being phased out of our language much like the term "Oriental" has been phased out.   Neither term was accurate so they have been replaced with the more appropriate Native American and Asian.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 24, 2021, 08:04:52 AM
Len,

I suspect it has less to do with the term "Indians".   Rather it has more to do with the Chief Wahoo Logo

Of course, the term "Indians" is being phased out of our language much like the term "Oriental" has been phased out.   Neither term was accurate so they have been replaced with the more appropriate Native American and Asian.

100% agree that the logo is offensive.

I know I'm old, but as Ed and I said, to me, certain terms about let's just say Indians, are an honorable word. But again, I still refer to myself as a Jew, who knows what the  correct wording for that is now.     /sarcasm/
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Len, I consider you a friend and a good man whom I respect immensely. So please don't get mad or take this the wrong way as I say this with equal parts tongue-in-cheek but also with a salient point. If I'm the owner of the Cleveland franchise feeling that a name change might be in order based on the barometer of current society, and I'm soliciting opinions and advice, one of the last people I'd likely ask is a 70 year old Jewish man from Long Island.  ;)