News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT--Cleveland Guardians

Started by ELCHALJE, July 23, 2021, 10:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: Sem on July 24, 2021, 01:21:10 PM
Len, I consider you a friend and a good man whom I respect immensely. So please don't get mad or take this the wrong way as I say this with equal parts tongue-in-cheek but also with a salient point. If I'm the owner of the Cleveland franchise feeling that a name change might be in order based on the barometer of current society, and I'm soliciting opinions and advice, one of the last people I'd likely ask is a 70 year old Jewish man from Long Island.  ;)

Steve

Absolutely no offense taken. Even brought a smile to my face. I was just thinking out loud.

So when will The Yankees be changed as that is completely offensive to anyone living South of the Mason Dixon line? And I am serious about it. Is the Name Yankees offensive to a lot more people than Indians?

Again, I can see the name Redskin and things like that, but Indian.

And if I am the owner of the Indians (oops guardians) would I not be more inclined to please the many fans who like the name instead of the few who don't?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

I was just at lunch with some guys.

One of them told the group that the name the Guardians may relate to a pair of statues located (or previously located) somewhere in Cleveland which are known as the Guardians. 

I have no idea, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

I would have thought the Cleveland Rockers would have been the slam dunk
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

I like the Cleveland Klingons. True warriors and the helmet logo would be awesome. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

After Lenny posted the explanation of the statues already existing in Cleveland, I have to say that I agree that Guardians is a good name for the team.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 24, 2021, 03:07:17 PM
I would have thought the Cleveland Rockers would have been the slam dunk
Rich: I made that exact suggestion to my friends.  Stop stealing my ideas. LOL
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

squibber

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 24, 2021, 05:12:01 PM
Rich: I made that exact suggestion to my friends.  Stop stealing my ideas. LOL

I like the name. I can picture the mascot dressed like Keith Richards strutting an electric guitar.

Ed Vette

I found this as to how the name Indians was originally chosen.

From Wiki:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Ed,

Interestingly enough that story has been shown to be a myth, rather than a fact.

Here is a long and inciteful article that delves deeply into this topic

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2014/03/18/the-cleveland-indians-louis-sockalexis-and-the-name/

One problem was the link to the picture of the cartoon run in the Cleveland Plains Dealer after the new name is broken.  I have found the picture elsewhere and here it is

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

(null)
I suspected it was but it is in the official media guide. So the Organization is perpetrating the myth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~ Coach Tom Coughlin