News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

La Brea TV Series

Started by squibber, September 29, 2021, 04:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

I watched the first episode that aired this past Tuesday on NBC(I think).  It has potential. It

LennG

You know Squib, I have tried several shows, especially ones on NBC, Like This Is Us, and recently Manifest. I like them to start, but because national TV has such limits as to what and how they can present things, I grow to be disinterested in it.
Take This Is Us, a terrific drama that my wife and I loved, but then it started to drag and the soap opera factors come into play where there has to be a disease of the year, divorce of the year, death of the year etc. etc. I told my wife if something bad happens in the next few episodes I'm done and sure enough, the mama develops Alhtimzers and I was done. I watched all of Manifest and by the middle of the first season I yelling how dumb these people are, situations are dumb etc. etc.
Seems on National TV it is much harder to do away with any main character so a lot of the suspense is taken away. I liken shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos. The Walking Dead and many others where you never know who is safe, no matter how big a star they are. To me, that adds to the suspense and drama of a show.
Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I read the review of it in my paper and they also gave it a decent enough review. Enjoy it and let me know at seasons end.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I watched this last night also and was going to start a thread about it, so I'm glad you already got it going.
I think I watched maybe two episodes of Lost when it first came on and it just didn't hold my interest for some reason. I very much enjoyed this first episode of La Brea. I like the premise and I'm interested to see where they take it. My concern is that this has the potential to be very good, but it also has the potential to go off in so many different directions and if it goes in the wrong direction it will just get silly and stupid.
I thought a couple of the characters were unbelievable and unlikable and there were a few things that just seemed kind of wrong, but I will give this time to develop and hope it stays on a path I like. It was a very good first episode.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

squibber

squibber

ozzie

The bearded guy, (the ex-husband) saw that boulder in one of his visions and then remembered that he and his wife had been there sometime in the past. I don't know why he started digging, but he found the ring near the boulder and therefore concluded that it was further proof that they were alive in the sink hole.
Some people surviving without a scratch while others got killed from the fall....Like you, I can chalk it up to Science Fiction, but because it's sci-fi, I agree that getting corny and going off in some nonsense direction is my biggest fear for this show.
Promising start, let's hope it continues.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."

John Mara

Ed Vette

I watched the first episode last night. I like the premise but they went overboard with the sinkhole/wormhole. They would have been better off with it swallowing up a baseball stadium instead of blocks of downtown and only the street but no buildings. The acting is just ok and the script is hokey and at times nonsensical. Like the scene where the Dr. is reprimanding his daughter for dropping a class when there is a kid on the floor dying and in need of medical supplies before it gets dark. Then the gun guy who has the balls to shoot the wolf but has a breakdown and tries to kill himself over it or the prospect of no future but he's the one with the gun.

It's obviously a portal to the pre-historic past as the husband digs up a hole and happens to find his ex- wife's engagement ring about 3 feet down in which the wormhole altered the temporal universal timeline. I hope the plot doesn't wind up with a lot of holes in it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

I think that is the fear that Squib and I have. Good premise, but it can get real hokey, real fast.
Episode 2 is on tonight. Let's see what direction it takes.

John Mara

Ed Vette

Episode 2, not bad. I'm hanging in. The interesting thing about that Ice Age 12,000 years ago is that the earth was coming out of an Ice Age but suddenly was thrust back in at around 12,800 years ago. At that time migration was coming from the Bering Strait through North America into South America. It's theorized that some catastrophic event was the cause and there is evidence of thousands of wooly mammoths were flattened and there are fields of them that were dug up. Was the temperature so warm on what is now today California as the show portrays? The Coastline surely extended for miles west as the sea level dropped as much as 200 feet and the Northern portion of the US and all of Canada was under 2 miles of ice. The Younger Dryas era.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

Watched episode 2 last night. I thought it was ok. Not bad, but not great either, but I do understand that when introducing a series there is a need to build up storylines and character profiles. I'll be sticking with it as it hasn't done anything to turn me away from it. I still see some good potential.

John Mara

squibber

I thought the second episode was alright. Enough to keep watching.

I didn

Ed Vette

Quote from: squibber on October 09, 2021, 11:50:22 AM

I didn
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

Quote from: squibber on October 09, 2021, 11:50:22 AM

I didn

John Mara

Ed Vette

Third episode looks like they are getting settled into the plot. Still has my interest.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

Yeah, episode 3 was pretty good. We are learning more about the characters, although I can do without the Love Triangle / Drama between the bearded guy, his wife and his ex- BFF, which by the way, I saw coming a mile away.

John Mara