News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jeopardy

Started by LennG, October 12, 2021, 01:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I don't know if anyone watches this show, or has been watching for the past month or more. We do try and watch as often as we can, but when we heard about the new Jeopardy guy who was winning over a million dollars and really seemed unbeatable, we started watching every day.

Matt Amodio was the 'new' guy who was going to try and beat Ken Jennings's record of most wins and money. Really, he seemed unbeatable, until yesterday

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/who-is-jonathan-fisher-meet-the-man-who-ended-matt-amodio-s-jeopardy-streak/ar-AAPqcfV?ocid=msedgntp

When he was dethroned by Johnathon Fisher.

Maybe we are out there, but I always suspected that Jeopardy sort of needs guys/gals like this who bring added viewers back to the TV to watch. Like a super Mega lottery that makes everyone buy a ticket, Jeopardy sort of needs a super contestant every so often to promote their show. Could it be a coincidence or more in planning? I have always felt when something like this needs to happen, they find someone, ultra-smart, and pair him with contestants who might not be as brainy. They have to know who might be a better contestant and who might be a weaker player.

Whatever, if you didn't see Matt Amodio play you missed a great contestant, and, for sure, he will be part of any Jeopardy HOF players.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I have been watching Jeopardy for decades. I agree that when they get a player like Matt or Ken Jennings who starts piling up the cash, that draws people in. I don't necessarily think Jeopardy "needs" those type of winners for ratings, but it does add a bit of fun and excitement to the show to see how far the player can get before someone dethrones them.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Bob In PA

What do you guys think of the host?  Just wondering.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GIANTS1

i watch almost everyday. Matt was very good but for some reason for me he wasnt that easy to root for. I liked james alot better. It seeemed like he rang in alot of times and just didnt know answer yesterday. Was shocked when he even had the final wrong. Matt like James when he lost did not get either daily double in double jeopardy.  I dont buy into the matchup theory. Host wise i think shes doing good. Getting used to her.  That buzz guy did a good job also. Savanah was pretty good also.

LennG

And now there is more

Fans think he purposely threw the game so he could get back to his Ph.D. studies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/did-matt-amodio-throw-the-game-why-jeopardy-fans-think-he-lost-on-purpose/ar-AAPpoRv?ocid=msedgntp

Personally I doubt that very much, but even I knew the final Jeopardy answer and I seriously can't believe he didn't.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GIANTS1

Quote from: LennG on October 12, 2021, 01:48:01 PM
And now there is more

Fans think he purposely threw the game so he could get back to his Ph.D. studies.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/did-matt-amodio-throw-the-game-why-jeopardy-fans-think-he-lost-on-purpose/ar-AAPpoRv?ocid=msedgntp

Personally I doubt that very much, but even I knew the final Jeopardy answer and I seriously can't believe he didn't.
I said the same thing to my wife. It was like ive had enough of this. See you for tuornament of champions.

LennG

I'm not thrilled with Ms. Bailik. She is OK, but, to me, there is something about her that doesn't suit me. Maybe because I am so used to a male as the host, not that females can't do the job, but people like Trebeck seemed like he could be an intellectual, and, to me, that should be a requirement as a host of an intellectual show, more than just a game show. Ms. Bailik seems like a host for the Match Game and not Jeopardy.  Anyway, just my opinion, since you asked.

Charlie Weiss

T200

Quote from: LennG on October 12, 2021, 01:53:03 PM
I'm not thrilled with Ms. Bailik. She is OK, but, to me, there is something about her that doesn't suit me. Maybe because I am so used to a male as the host, not that females can't do the job, but people like Trebeck seemed like he could be an intellectual, and, to me, that should be a requirement as a host of an intellectual show, more than just a game show. Ms. Bailik seems like a host for the Match Game and not Jeopardy.  Anyway, just my opinion, since you asked.

https://www.biography.com/actor/mayim-bialik

QuoteEducation
After her run on Blossom, Bialik took a step back from acting to focus on her school work: She attended the University of California, Los Angeles, despite gaining acceptance to both Harvard and Yale, in order to stay close to her parents and remain on the West Coast. Bialik earned a bachelor's degree in neuroscience, Hebrew and Jewish studies in 2000, and then went on to the university's Ph.D. program in neuroscience, which she completed in 2007.

She's got the intellectual box checked, Len!  :P
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

I caught the show last night. Hadn't watch Jeopardy in a very long time but I wanted to see Bailik after all the controversy. She's certainly qualified and is doing it her way but she seems out of place for some reason. I guess I envision a Scott Pelley type of personality. Alex Trebek did the show for so long that it took on his personality.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Quote from: T200 on October 12, 2021, 02:02:58 PM
https://www.biography.com/actor/mayim-bialik

She's got the intellectual box checked, Len!  :P

Tim

No one questioned her intellect, but, as I said, she doesn't come off as one. She seems like a very nice woman who should be on the View or something like that.

Maybe it's my male genes talking.   =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I like her as host. When they went thru all the guest hosts before choosing one, she was on my short list.
I thought she, Ken Jennings, Buzzy, LeVar Burton and (this won't be popular) Joe Buck all did well and any of them could carry the show as the regular host.
I think no matter who they chose to replace Trebek, it would take some getting used to. He was an icon.
I think she is a good balance between intellect and an everyday, "regular Joe" type.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Since we are talking Jeopardy, we need a bit of humor in here. I have posted this several times in the past and I basically laughed out loud every time I watch it.

Tom Hanks is simply as funny as can be.

enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VaXlMvAvk&ab_channel=SaturdayNightLive

Charlie Weiss