News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

To our “older” hunters or ppl who just like game meat

Started by Slugsy-Narrows, February 26, 2022, 11:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slugsy-Narrows

Bob In PA

Do you see yourself as a dying breed, or do you believe the generation(s) coming up behind you will continue the tradition?  Are there younger people still interested in doing what you do?   Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 27, 2022, 09:20:59 AM
Do you see yourself as a dying breed, or do you believe the generation(s) coming up behind you will continue the tradition?  Are there younger people still interested in doing what you do?   Bob
Bob

That is an interesting thought and one that is debated and talked about within our community.

NJ sells more hunting licenses today (last 5-10 years) then they have ever done in years past.  BUT they broke the licensing system down into multiple seasons and permits.  Harvest numbers are higher then they were in the 80s/90s but again the season is longer.

With that said the Industry is seeing a drop off in hunting participation country wide.  As more kids would rather sit on the couch then get dirty in the woods.

Also with my grandparents generation no longer hunting, my parents generation starting to hang up their boots, and my generation getting older I think hunting numbers will drop off to some degree in years to come.

My dad at 77 (78 in June) still gets out there and hunts but not alone anymore myself or a friend goes with.  He doesn

Bill Brown

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on February 27, 2022, 10:12:26 AM
Bob

That is an interesting thought and one that is debated and talked about within our community.

NJ sells more hunting licenses today (last 5-10 years) then they have ever done in years past.  BUT they broke the licensing system down into multiple seasons and permits.  Harvest numbers are higher then they were in the 80s/90s but again the season is longer.

With that said the Industry is seeing a drop off in hunting participation country wide.  As more kids would rather sit on the couch then get dirty in the woods.

Also with my grandparents generation no longer hunting, my parents generation starting to hang up their boots, and my generation getting older I think hunting numbers will drop off to some degree in years to come.

My dad at 77 (78 in June) still gets out there and hunts but not alone anymore myself or a friend goes with.  He doesn
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Bob In PA

I believe Chris (babywhales) is an avid hunter (and fisherman) in the northern midwest area of the country, so you two probably have a lot in common.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

It's just me and Linda and she won't eat gamie meat otherwise I would take you up on it. When my brother lived up here, I used to thin slice the deer leg and make what we Italians call Spatini. It's a rolled and stuffed BarBQ delight. It also made nice cutlets for frying ala Parmigiana. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: ps11yat14 on February 27, 2022, 10:45:25 AM
Curious to know how many deer are you allowed to tag in a year.  Here in Maine you are only allowed to get 1 per year only in November. Usually it has to have horns but occasionally the state will issue some doe permits.

And the sausage looks amazing.
Bill
In New Jersey it depends on the area/zone you hunt.

For my areas I can harvest as many does as I want.  There are no restrictions.  Bucks it depends on the tags I buy.  Anywhere from 1 to 6, again depending on the seasons and tags I purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 27, 2022, 11:22:45 AM
It's just me and Linda and she won't eat gamie meat otherwise I would take you up on it. When my brother lived up here, I used to thin slice the deer leg and make what we Italians call Spatini. It's a rolled and stuffed BarBQ delight. It also made nice cutlets for frying ala Parmigiana.
Ed

It would be my honor and pleasure to give you just a few pieces for you to enjoy if you want.  Don

Ed Vette

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on February 27, 2022, 04:02:14 PM
Ed

It would be my honor and pleasure to give you just a few pieces for you to enjoy if you want.  Don
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

bamagiantfan

Regrettably I am too far away in Birmingham. I grew up hunting in deer in Monmouth County, shooting ducks in Barnegat Bay, and fishing just about everywhere. As I've grown older my tastes turned more to golf and fishing, and now just fishing. My mom lives in Wyoming on the south fork of the Shoshone River, where if you can't catch a trout then you just aren't trying. The picture in my avatar is from there. I enjoy my time alone in the wilderness where I can be away from everybody and everything and be reminded of how small I am in this grand design.

Thanks for the offer, and you are welcome to come back to Georgia and Alabama and shoot all the hogs you want. Lord knows we have far too many in some areas.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: bamagiantfan on February 28, 2022, 07:23:35 PM
Regrettably I am too far away in Birmingham. I grew up hunting in deer in Monmouth County, shooting ducks in Barnegat Bay, and fishing just about everywhere. As I've grown older my tastes turned more to golf and fishing, and now just fishing. My mom lives in Wyoming on the south fork of the Shoshone River, where if you can't catch a trout then you just aren't trying. The picture in my avatar is from there. I enjoy my time alone in the wilderness where I can be away from everybody and everything and be reminded of how small I am in this grand design.

Thanks for the offer, and you are welcome to come back to Georgia and Alabama and shoot all the hogs you want. Lord knows we have far too many in some areas.
If you have land I

Ed Vette

Paul, My father used to buy half a pig and make his own Sausage, prosciutto, capicola, Soppressata
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 01, 2022, 10:58:46 AM
Paul, My father used to buy half a pig and make his own Sausage, prosciutto, capicola, Soppressata

Slugsy-Narrows

This not so little piggy came in at 214lbs. She was a beast!  So who wants some swine??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk