News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

World War II movies

Started by Trench, May 22, 2022, 10:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

What is your favorite WW2 movie and why?

I thoroughly enjoyed The Gallant Hours with James Cagney depicting the later part of Admiral

Rosehill Jimmy

Quite a few like Guadalcanal Diary and Sands of IWork Jima

But I have to say my two favorites are Saving Private Ryan and The Darkest Hour
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Bill Brown

A really long one. "Band of Brothers"  Not really a movie but quite a series.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

LennG

I agree with Bill in that Band of Brothers, although a mini-series, was the ultimate WWII movie.

Overall, this is a hard topic in that, there were many movies based on WWII that weren't 'action/fighting movies'. like Casablanca and Schindler's List which would head any of my lists of WWII-based movies. Also I would include Caine Mutiny and Mr. Roberts and even Stalag 17

If we are talking 'combat' type movies, Saving Pvt Ryan has to appear at #1 or about, just for sheer realism. After that, I go with
A Walk In The Sun (if you've never seen this one, do so, it is great)
Dirty Dozen
Bridge on the River Kwai
Patton
Kelley's Heros
Run Silent, Run Deep
12 O'Clock High
And one of my all-time favorites, Sahara with Bogey (again, if you haven't seen this one. do so immediately)

Maybe it's me, but movies like The Longest Day, which was very good, was just a vehicle to put all of those 'older' Hollywood stars into a movie. After that, well not on my list.

Those are just for starters.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I don't like war movies in general. I watched "Band of Brothers" because I am related to one of the soldiers in the series...Kenny Webb, who was my mother's first cousin. When she was a teen living in St. Petersburg, Fl she would make candy and cookies with her mother and send to him. My mother wrote him every week and she has a shoe box of letters he sent home. He ended up killed in the Battle of the Bulge

There's a complete bio on him at Find a Grave along with a bunch of pictures if you click on the "photos" button. Here's a link if interested: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56063971/kenneth-jay-webb
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: LennG on May 23, 2022, 11:45:56 AM
I agree with Bill in that Band of Brothers, although a mini-series, was the ultimate WWII movie.

Overall, this is a hard topic in that, there were many movies based on WWII that weren't 'action/fighting movies'. like Casablanca and Schindler's List which would head any of my lists of WWII-based movies. Also I would include Caine Mutiny and Mr. Roberts and even Stalag 17

If we are talking 'combat' type movies, Saving Pvt Ryan has to appear at #1 or about, just for sheer realism. After that, I go with
A Walk In The Sun (if you've never seen this one, do so, it is great)
Dirty Dozen
Bridge on the River Kwai
Patton
Kelley's Heros
Run Silent, Run Deep
12 O'Clock High
And one of my all-time favorites, Sahara with Bogey (again, if you haven't seen this one. do so immediately)

Maybe it's me, but movies like The Longest Day, which was very good, was just a vehicle to put all of those 'older' Hollywood stars into a movie. After that, well not on my list.

Those are just for starters.

Agree with you on Longest Day. I remember liking Das Boot when it first came out even though it featured the bad guys
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

LennG

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on May 23, 2022, 03:31:47 PM
Agree with you on Longest Day. I remember liking Das Boot when it first came out even though it featured the bad guys

Yes, classic movie and very realiatic.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Trench

In Harms Way was another good one

jimv

My favorites:

1.  Objective Burma
2.  A Walk in the Sun
3.  Saving Private Ryan
3.  Patton
4.  Enemy Below
5.  Sands of Iwo Jima
6.  Pork Chop Hill
7.  The Great Escape

LennG

Quote from: jimv on May 25, 2022, 09:31:46 PM
My favorites:

1.  Objective Burma
2.  A Walk in the Sun
3.  Saving Private Ryan
3.  Patton
4.  Enemy Below
5.  Sands of Iwo Jima
6.  Pork Chop Hill
7.  The Great Escape

Pork Chop Hill was from the Korean War

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Some more:

Bright Victory
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
The Seventh Cross
Bataan
Back to Bataan

LennG

Just rewatched 'The Steel Helmet'

GREAT movie

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

Today I watched "Up Periscope"  James Garner and a bit part by Frank Gifford. Not a bad movie. Very predictable.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

jimv

Quote from: LennG on May 29, 2022, 04:57:53 PM
Just rewatched 'The Steel Helmet'

GREAT movie

That was the Korean War.

ozzie

I'm no expert of war movies, but of what I have seen my favorite is The Dirty Dozen
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara