News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Vocabulary Builder Thread

Started by squibber, May 24, 2022, 05:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

Didactic: (Thanks, Woody Allen)

1a: designed or intended to teach
b: intended to convey instruction and information as well as pleasure and entertainment
didactic poetry
2: making moral observations

Jolly Blue Giant

Captious (from Latin captio, which refers to a deception or verbal quibble):
1) apt to notice and make much of trivial faults or defects; faultfinding; difficult to please.
2) proceeding from a faultfinding or caviling disposition: He could never praise without adding a captious remark.
3) apt or designed to ensnare or perplex, especially in argument: captious questions.
In my own words, "nitpicky", "testy" argumentative in nature and uses petty theoretical objections to find fault

Cavil or Cavilling: to raise irritating and trivial objections; to unnecessarily find fault; to oppose by inconsequential, frivolous, or sham objections
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ozzie

Tatterdemalion - Tattered, disheveled or ragged in appearance.
A ragamuffin.

Ostler - One who takes care of horses or mules
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

squibber

Eudaemonism:

A system of ethics that bases moral value on the likelihood of actions producing happiness.

Examples of Eudaemonism in a sentence

"Janick practiced eudaemonism by planning a pleasant and educational event for each weekend."

"The teacher encouraged students to explore eudaemonism by doing at least three pleasurable things every day."

squibber

imbue:

inspire or permeate with (a feeling or quality).
"the entire performance was imbued with sparkle and elan"

Jolly Blue Giant

Doing the Daily Trivia question and within the question was a word I had never heard of so I had to look it up. The question of the day was:  "Which of these countries does not have an eponymous capital city?"

- Mexico
- Guatemala
- Panama
- Poland

Eponymous: of, relating to, or being an eponym

An eponym is a person, place, or thing after whom or which someone or something is, or is believed to be, named.

by the way, the answer was Poland because Warsaw is not taken from the name Poland nor is related to a person, place, or thing
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ozzie

Here's one I just learned this morning reading an article about a concert:
Rumbustious - Boisterous or unruly.  "Rumbustious concert goers"
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara