News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The 25 greatest westerns of all time

Started by LennG, May 30, 2022, 12:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I think we might have done this before, but since I'm old I don't remember, so let's try a new list

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/the-25-greatest-westerns-of-all-time/ss-AAUtJr5?li=BBnb2gh&ocid=mailsignout#image=26

Most of the good ones are there, but some stinkers (for me anyway) are also there. I hated The Power of the Dog, and I would never put The Hateful 8 in with the greatest of all time.

Like any list, it is so subjective but personally, I think I would rate 'The Unforgiven' as one of the best ever, if not THE best ever.

Some that I would put on MY list that weren't listed

High Noon-- This should be in the top 5 of any list of greatest westerns
Tombstone--another bad omission
3:10 To Yuma ( The original)
The Magnificent 7 (original)
The Gunfighter

And, since many people consider this a western (which I really don't) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

What a list! ~X( ~X( ~X(  The guy who made up that list has his taste only in his mouth.

Here's my list in no particular order:

Red River
The Westerner
The Bravados
The Big Country
The Magnificent Seven
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rio Grande
The Searchers
Stagecoach
The Unforgiven
High Noon
Rio Bravo
The Gunfighter
The Virginian (1929)
The Virginian (1946)
Along Came Jones
The Professionals
Ride The High Country
Way Out West
The Plainsman
Shane
The Proud Rebel
My Darling Clementine
West of the Pecos

Bill Brown

Anything John Wayne so I won't repeat several of those in Jim's list. A few more of my favorites.

The man who shot liberty valance
Lonesome Dove
Open Range

And anything cowboy with Randolph Scott

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

jimv

Quote from: ps11yat14 on May 30, 2022, 04:05:50 PM
Anything John Wayne so I won't repeat several of those in Jim's list. A few more of my favorites.

The man who shot liberty valance
Lonesome Dove
Open Range

And anything cowboy with Randolph Scott

Bill

I love OPEN RANGE & MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE.  I had just listed 25 westerns that came into my mind on short notice.  I just listed those 25 because some of the crap listed by the idiot who drew up the initial list was just so sad.

Bob In PA

Does "Blazing Saddles" count as a western? 
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

15 Movie threads. Maybe we need a separate room along with a Daniel Jones room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 30, 2022, 06:30:34 PM
15 Movie threads. Maybe we need a separate room along with a Daniel Jones room.

You'd rather politics?

What would YOU like to discuss?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on May 30, 2022, 07:26:05 PM
You'd rather politics?

What would YOU like to discuss?
Astrophysics, quantum-physics and microbiology.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 30, 2022, 07:40:40 PM

Well then, Ed, start one on one of those topics.

Jolly Blue Giant

=)) =)) =)) =))
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I was just reading up on two of those, so I'm waiting to discuss your views.  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

In the meantime, do you like Westerns and, if so, which are your favorites?

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on May 31, 2022, 12:37:39 PM
I was just reading up on two of those, so I'm waiting to discuss your views.  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

In the meantime, do you like Westerns and, if so, which are your favorites?

City Slickers

Actually as a kid, I watched a lot of the western TV shows. Not so much the movies although a John Wayne was frequently on. Old Yeller and Shane (or is it Schoen) were my favorites then. Clint Eastwood starred in a couple I liked. The way you guys obsess over movies seems like as much a hobby as an enjoyment.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 31, 2022, 01:40:03 PM
City Slickers

Actually as a kid, I watched a lot of the western TV shows. Not so much the movies although a John Wayne was frequently on. Old Yeller and Shane (or is it Schoen) were my favorites then. Clint Eastwood starred in a couple I liked. The way you guys obsess over movies seems like as much a hobby as an enjoyment.

Ed, for me, it IS a hobby.  I own over 2,200 movies on DVD & Blu Ray.  Some of the DVDs are homemade.

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 31, 2022, 01:40:03 PM
City Slickers

I can't tell you why, but movies have always been 'my thing'. It's not like I sit in front of the TV all day watching, but I would rather watch a good movie, even if I have seen it before, than most of the dreck that is on TV these days. That's why, when we get shows like Better Call Saul, and Ozark, we are in heaven--something really decent to watch.
I have never owned the collection of movies that Jim does, but I HAVE been a student of the genre. I must own over 100 books about movies, stars of movies, directors of movies and the movies themselvwes.

Charlie Weiss