News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

HBO's The Staircase - David Rudolf Interview

Started by EDjohnst1981, May 31, 2022, 06:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

As some of you may know, I run a small Youtube channel that interviews criminal justice professionals to discuss issues in the system.

Yesterday, I interviewed David Rudolf, who was the lead defence lawyer in the Michael Peterson case which shot to fame in the Netflix documentary, The Staircase. The documentary has recently been dramatised by HBO and stars Colin Firth.

When watching the HBO show, there are a number of factual inaccuracies which David and I discuss. Please note - if you're not familiar with case, this interview will contain spoilers.

You can view the interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yokrgJBPHF8

DaveBrown74

Great thread idea.

I am not watching the interview yet as I have only just started The Staircase. Actually, what I am doing, is first watching the Netflix docu-series, and then I will watch the HBO show. This approach was recommended to me by a friend, and so that is my plan.

I have to say, I'm only in episode four of the Netflix series, so this is subject to change, but already this guy looks guilty as hell.

I am looking forward to watching your interview. Do you think I can watch it after the Netflix docu-series and before the HBO show, or should I watch both first? Getting through both will probably take me another two weeks or more. With the Rangers now in the ECF, my evenings won't be as free as I thought they might be...

EDjohnst1981

Jolly Blue Giant

Sounds interesting and I'm always trying to find something to satisfy my need for a good show. I will give it a try and do as suggested, watch the shows first and then the interview afterwards. Thanks for posting
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

We do not have HBO, does it make sense to partake in this?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

EDjohnst1981

DaveBrown74

I banged out another episode of the Netflix doc. Into the trial now. Good stuff.

Even with a binge session this weekend it's going to take me another two weeks probably to get through both the documentary and the HBO show.

I'll be honest - right here right now (through 5 episodes), every bit of judgment I have is telling me this guy is guilty as sin. Obviously I won't rush to a conclusion there yet, but it sure looks that way to me now.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 01, 2022, 08:27:53 AM
I banged out another episode of the Netflix doc. Into the trial now. Good stuff.

Even with a binge session this weekend it's going to take me another two weeks probably to get through both the documentary and the HBO show.

I'll be honest - right here right now (through 5 episodes), every bit of judgment I have is telling me this guy is guilty as sin. Obviously I won't rush to a conclusion there yet, but it sure looks that way to me now.
Looking forward to discussing it in when you

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 07, 2022, 02:53:59 PM
So I'm now done with the Netflix portion of this. Watched all 10 episodes of the documentary. I thought it was well done, though I would say it easily could have been half the length. I felt much of it was a bit drawn out and at times repetitive/circular (though still good overall).

I will be starting the HBO series soon, though probably not tonight given the Rangers are playing. I'm excited to watch this, as both Firth and Collette are top notch actors.
Agree on the actors. Firth, in particular, nails his role really well.

What did you think of the outcome/process or do you want to wait until you

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on June 08, 2022, 02:13:47 PM
Agree on the actors. Firth, in particular, nails his role really well.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 08, 2022, 06:26:37 PM
Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on June 08, 2022, 02:13:47 PMAgree on the actors. Firth, in particular, nails his role really well.

I have lots of thoughts. Some you might agree with some you might not. But I've never been so fascinated by a case in my life.

David was kind enough to comp me two tickets to an event he was speaking at in London. Even now, I'm still learning more about the case.

This is me and legend himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

That's fantastic! I hope you managed to have a dialogue with him or at least get some questions that you had answered.

I know I said I expected to be done with the show by now but I'm only on episode five. I should be done sometime this week.

LennG

We just started watching the Netflix account. Only 2 episodes in, but we hope to have it finished by the time we get home.

One question, why was this entire documentary done? Is something like this done all the time and just this case was hat interesting that they showed it? It seems as if they were there from day one and filmed it all, w=my question is why?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss