News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The guilty pleasure of the B movie, name a B movie you loved

Started by MightyGiants, May 31, 2022, 11:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I will name a few

Cannonball Run
The Smokie and the Bandit movies
Caddie Shack
Animal House
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 31, 2022, 11:04:03 AM
I will name a few

Cannonball Run
The Smokie and the Bandit movies
Caddie Shack
Animal House

I'm not sure they would be classified as "B" movies in the order of say, "Death Bed: The Bed That Eats" or "Plan 9 from Outer Space" that used cardboard gravestones and a couple of paper plates hanging from a string as alien flying saucers

I think originally, "Return of the Living Dead" was a legitimate "B" movie that has become a classic and gave birth to the myriad zombie movies in the last decade or so...although, I can't say that I liked it. I think in its original release, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was considered a "B" movie that took the country by storm, although I could never get into it. It was based on a screen play by someone who did it as a joke but became a theater hit in Canada and made into a film with an extremely low budget

Actually, I can't think of a single "B" movie that I liked, but I know a lot of "A" movies that were horrible
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

You are correct Ric, almost all of the "Living Dead' movies were originally what one might refer to as 'B' movies. although they don't have that distinction today.

In the glory days of Hollywood, when the movie theaters showed double features, the main movie was the 'A' movie. Since they needed another movie to fill out the bill, so entered the lesser movies, usually at minimal cost with stars that just weren't stars yet, 'B' movies.

From the '40s and '50s, there were just tons of them. but most aren't that well known. Maybe the best known was 'The Blob', 'Them'
and 'It Came From Outer Space'. Most of these ended up being 'drive-in' fare and sort of made specifically for drive-ins as most people weren't paying attention anyway.

Some of the more 'recent' 'B' type movies that really hit it big
The Texas Chainsaw massacre
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Re-Animator (if you've never seen this one, you are missing something extra weird)
The original Friday the 13th movies
the original Nightmare on Elm Street Movies, and add to this all the other 'creature' and 'slasher' movies
One of the best 'B' movies that really made a guy a star was Fists of Fury with the then-unknown Bruce Lee. He started a phenomenon with all those 'B' Kung Fu movies
You could also add 'Godzilla' to this a 'B' movie that started a trend with hundreds of these Japanese monster movies.
On thinking, you can also add all the Hammer films with the dynamic duo of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee who made playing Dracula an art form.

So, if I had to name maybe my favorite, it probably would be Fists of Fury followed by The Rocky Horrow Picture Show

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

No Ed Wood fans?

ed wood filmography https://g.co/kgs/FP5VQd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

I don't think this is a "B" movie, but it's about as low budget a film if there ever was one...all you need is a house and a chair. Starred Cher in the movie "Faithful" in which a wealthy husband hires a hit man to kill his wife for his 20th anniversary present

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116269/
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 31, 2022, 02:33:07 PM
I don't think this is a "B" movie, but it's about as low budget a film if there ever was one...all you need is a house and a chair. Starred Cher in the movie "Faithful" in which a wealthy husband hires a hit man to kill his wife for his 20th anniversary present

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116269/

Myself, I wouldn't consider this a 'B' movie as Cher was a major star. Maybe more a decent movie that just didn't live up to its billing (as so many other movies do). Usually, the REAL 'B' movies were generally low-budget romps that sometimes caught the public's appeal.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

So, a question for our B-flick friends ... how many folks here used to watch the Friday Night USA Up All Night B-movie with host Rhonda Shear followed by the Saturday night program with Gilbert Gottfried. Here are some I remember:

- "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" (my ex-girlfriend's favorite B-flick)
- "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" (one of my favorites)
- "Hamburger - The Motion Picture" (with none other than Dick Butkus padding up his Hollywood credits; well, maybe Chatsworth or some other San Fernando Valley / Simi Valley low-budget production company); Randi Brookes in a bikini fired up many of us hot and bothered teen males back in the day!
- "Night Shift" with a star-studded line-up of a young Dennis Keaton, Henry "The Fonz" Winkler, Shelley Long and even a cameo of Kevin Costner
- "Hot Chili"
- "H.O.T.S."
- "Piranha" (original 1978 movie)
- "Tomboy"

It scares me that I remember most of these some thirty years later.

Gilbert Gottfried ... rest in peace, my friend.

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Sem

MST3K "covered" a bunch of B movies to the point of making them much more enjoyable to watch. My favorite was a Canadian film "The Final Sacrifice." Probably watched it two dozen times or more, and can quote most of it.

I remember "Up All Night" with Rhonda Shear. I watched quite a few of them, mostly because of her comic relief. If I remember correctly The Greaseman was even a guest on one of her episodes.

I've seen a couple of the Ed Wood movies. So bad they're good. Cult classics at least.
Remember the movie Ed Wood? It was much better than Ed Wood's movies, and even earned a couple Oscars including one for the late great Martin Landau.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Sem on June 05, 2022, 02:30:54 AM
MST3K "covered" a bunch of B movies to the point of making them much more enjoyable to watch. My favorite was a Canadian film "The Final Sacrifice." Probably watched it two dozen times or more, and can quote most of it.

I remember "Up All Night" with Rhonda Shear. I watched quite a few of them, mostly because of her comic relief. If I remember correctly The Greaseman was even a guest on one of her episodes.

I've seen a couple of the Ed Wood movies. So bad they're good. Cult classics at least.
Remember the movie Ed Wood? It was much better than Ed Wood's movies, and even earned a couple Oscars including one for the late great Martin Landau.
I liked the Ed Wood movie. Showed the tragic addiction of Bela Lugosi and how he hated second billing to Karloff. Lugosi was in many B movies. Son of Frankenstein may not be a B movie but Lugosi was brilliant as Igor in that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Quote from: Sem on June 05, 2022, 02:30:54 AM

Yes, Rhonda definitely brought the viewers in. Her comic relief, as well as dressing the part to draw the male, under-25 audience, was a successful ploy by USA to bring up the ratings. Gottfried was already a legend at the time so those two interjecting their humor, as well as original host Caroline Schlitt (two seasons prior to Rhonda), definitely made the bad B-movies more palatable. But who cared as we were out on the town, came back loaded and chilled for an hour or two before crashing; the weekend life of a college student in the 80s. Unfortunately, I'd have to get up early the next morning, during the fall, for our soccer matches. Home games we could sleep in a little but we always left early on the away games so at least you could bank an hour sleep on the ride. Those were the days!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

LennG

I do not know whom you are speaking of, maybe it didn't play here in NY. I do remember Elvira and then Zacherly as hosts to late-night movies some of which might have even been considered 'C' movies if there was such a classification.
Lot's of fun though

Charlie Weiss

y_so_blu

Tormented (1960)
Angel (1984)
Mommy (1995)
Pinocchio's Revenge (1996)