News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

the most iconic American sandwiches

Started by LennG, May 31, 2022, 01:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

"Iconic" and "American" ???  I nominate the Dagwood sandwich as the most iconic and American of all sandwiches... because you have to be an old fart to even understand what it is.  See link below. Bob

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagwood_sandwich
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Sem

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 01, 2022, 08:44:14 AM
"Iconic" and "American" ???  I nominate the Dagwood sandwich as the most iconic and American of all sandwiches... because you have to be an old fart to even understand what it is.  See link below. Bob

I'm an old fart.

Bob, a kid I grew up with, John Marshall, has been the Illustrator for Blondie since 2005.

T200

All those sandwiches sound delicious!

I'm a kid at heart and my all-time favorite is PB&J. Spread the PB (preferably crunchy) on lightly toasted multigrain bread. Add the apple jelly on the other slice and marry them together. Get a glass of ice-cold milk and I'm set!

I used to work 5 minutes from my house and I would go home for lunch and make a couple of thse and be perfectly happy.

My other favorite is a good sausage, egg and cheese with lettuce and tomato. My wife turned me on to adding her homemade habanero pepper sauce on it for a kick of flavor and heat.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: WesternNY on May 31, 2022, 04:18:21 PM
Thanks for the Beef on Kimmelweck shout out! That is a form of a French Dip though at the end of the day. The Genesee Brew House makes a good one in Rochester, but Buffalo makes them a bit better.

Your handle is WesternNY so I'm assuming your somewhere between Rochester and Buffalo. You're fairly new here so I'm not sure, but your handle indicates you're from that area. If so, hard to believe you are a Giants fan instead of a Bills fan. There's a pretty clear line of delineation that crosses just west of Syracuse where simply everyone is a Bills fan...regardless, I digress

Funny as it may seem, my favorite Beef-on-Weck is at "Andersons" in Buffalo, which is funny because they are known for their homemade ice cream, custard, and yogurt. Their Beef-on-Weck is very simple with the best Kimmelweck bun I've ever had (sometimes I'll buy 6 buns from there and bring them home). I add nothing to it except once in awhile I add a little horseradish. I never pass through Buffalo without taking a detour up Transit Road to the closest Andersons I can find. There's a fairly high end restaurant in Olean on Union Street called the "Beef-N-Barrel" that has a good Beef-on-Weck and when I'm traveling across state on 17/88, I stop in and get one...but I still prefer Andersons'. There's a couple places in Binghamton ("Remliks" and "The Beef") that's pretty good, but not Andersons good. I've never tried the "Genesee Brew House", but that is on my list of things to do next time I'm in Rochester. Soooo anyway, my question is this: since you seem to know the area, where would you go for the absolute best Beef on Weck in Buffalo?
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

WesternNY

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 01, 2022, 04:19:17 PM
Your handle is WesternNY so I'm assuming your somewhere between Rochester and Buffalo. You're fairly new here so I'm not sure, but your handle indicates you're from that area. If so, hard to believe you are a Giants fan instead of a Bills fan. There's a pretty clear line of delineation that crosses just west of Syracuse where simply everyone is a Bills fan...regardless, I digress

Funny as it may seem, my favorite Beef-on-Weck is at "Andersons" in Buffalo, which is funny because they are known for their homemade ice cream, custard, and yogurt. Their Beef-on-Weck is very simple with the best Kimmelweck bun I've ever had (sometimes I'll buy 6 buns from there and bring them home). I add nothing to it except once in awhile I add a little horseradish. I never pass through Buffalo without taking a detour up Transit Road to the closest Andersons I can find. There's a fairly high end restaurant in Olean on Union Street called the "Beef-N-Barrel" that has a good Beef-on-Weck and when I'm traveling across state on 17/88, I stop in and get one...but I still prefer Andersons'. There's a couple places in Binghamton ("Remliks" and "The Beef") that's pretty good, but not Andersons good. I've never tried the "Genesee Brew House", but that is on my list of things to do next time I'm in Rochester. Soooo anyway, my question is this: since you seem to know the area, where would you go for the absolute best Beef on Weck in Buffalo?

Rochester area. Big Bills fan since 1985, and jumped on this board because of the Daboll/ Schoen connection. I thought the conversations here were decent and had good fans with football knowledge. I had a few discussions about potential guys the Giants may land in FA from Buffalo, and provide some insights where I can about Daboll etc.

The hole in the wall places are often good. I'll have to check out Andersons. I make it out to Buffalo about 2-3 times a year.

I'd recommend Charlie the Butcher. They have a few Buffalo area locations. If your party wants to try good Beef on Weck and good Buffalo wings at the same time try Bar Bill. A good classic spot is Schwabl

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 01, 2022, 08:44:14 AM

Bob

You are truly showing OUR age.

Besides the iconic comic strip, there were a series of Blondie movies and in them Dagwood always was making these sandwiches. Boy that guy could eat. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

WesternNY

Quote from: LennG on May 31, 2022, 06:51:10 PM
As I said in my OP, that pastrami sandwich with the kraut is my favorite. Since we observe the Kosher dietary laws, the swiss cheese is a no-no, but since I've never had it, and probably never will that way, I don't miss it.

Ohhh that makes sense. No dairy and meat mixed together right?

I kept seeing pastrami on rye with kraut/ Russian etc and thought I was having a Mandella Effect  :laugh:

Agree on mom's meatloaf. Underrated dish today.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: WesternNY on June 01, 2022, 04:36:15 PM
Rochester area. Big Bills fan since 1985, and jumped on this board because of the Daboll/ Schoen connection. I thought the conversations here were decent and had good fans with football knowledge. I had a few discussions about potential guys the Giants may land in FA from Buffalo, and provide some insights where I can about Daboll etc.

The hole in the wall places are often good. I'll have to check out Andersons. I make it out to Buffalo about 2-3 times a year.

I'd recommend Charlie the Butcher. They have a few Buffalo area locations. If your party wants to try good Beef on Weck and good Buffalo wings at the same time try Bar Bill. A good classic spot is Schwabl

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 01, 2022, 04:58:46 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. It now makes sense that someone from your area on this board would be a Bills fan. I have no problem with Bill's fans as I live around a ton of them. They are avid, but not obnoxious like Cowboy fans or Eagle fans. In fact, I root for the Bills if the Giants are out of the playoffs and the Bills are in it. The loyal fans out there deserve to get a Lombardi someday...they sure have come close. I got a kick out of talking with some Bills fans when I was in Buffalo a few years ago. I asked them about Scott Norwood and they shared a story. They said he left town and several years later stopped in town and dropped in on a local sports bar. The people recognized him said it was all okay and bought him drinks. Class!

Think Bill Buckner would get the same treatment in Beantown?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 01, 2022, 05:09:43 PM
Think Bill Buckner would get the same treatment in Beantown?
=)) =)) =)) ....Nope!

WesternNY

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 01, 2022, 04:58:46 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. It now makes sense that someone from your area on this board would be a Bills fan. I have no problem with Bill's fans as I live around a ton of them. They are avid, but not obnoxious like Cowboy fans or Eagle fans. In fact, I root for the Bills if the Giants are out of the playoffs and the Bills are in it. The loyal fans out there deserve to get a Lombardi someday...they sure have come close. I got a kick out of talking with some Bills fans when I was in Buffalo a few years ago. I asked them about Scott Norwood and they shared a story. They said he left town and several years later stopped in town and dropped in on a local sports bar. The people recognized him said it was all okay and bought him drinks. Class!

Happy to share and be on the board. I've lived all over the North East from Philly to Boston and all over 'upstate/ western NY'. Being a Bills fan in Eagles territory was interesting. It was during the playoff drought and they looked at me like an endangered species! Boston was a little rougher as a fan.

I hope Bills fans can deal with success as well as we have dealt with losing! I think there will be some insufferable fans who have only known losing. Those of us long-timers will just die easier  :laugh: It was fun seeing people jump on the Bills and Bengals bandwagon last year. All aboard! The NFL is more fun when smaller cities are competitive.

I was a huge Giant fan during Super Bowl XLII. I was among Eagles fans, and when Tyree made that crazy catch all of my New Yorker came out. I started talking so much trash I damn near had a Brooklyn accent. Eli Manning beating Brady and Bill Belichick (twice) including ruining a perfect season was special, even more so among Eagle fans! I made some cash that night!

As for Super Bowl XXV we don't talk about that in polite conversation. That game tore a hole in my soul. I still don't blame Norwood.

Back on topic, so yeah. I've enjoyed a lot of good sandwiches all over the North East.

Cheesesteak is still my vote, though I neglected to think of my kosher friends. (Is Whiz actually cheese?)
Turkey Club is underrated, and very American IMO
Lobster Roll should also be considered. Hard to think that lobster was once considered poor people's food.

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on June 01, 2022, 04:40:06 PM
...there were a series of Blondie movies...
Len: That, more than the comic strip, was why I recalled/mentioned it... for those who know the cartoon but never saw the short films...

https://youtu.be/fhN_5cBbNcY

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

All this talk about Buffalo and Rochester took me back in time to Ted
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

What, no love for a classic Cuban sandwich? 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 02, 2022, 08:34:17 AM
What, no love for a classic Cuban sandwich?

Those are fantastic. I have not had a good one in some time though. I ordered one in the past year from some deli and it was pretty mediocre.

There is a place in Hoboken that is somewhat famous and I'm dying to try it. Not sure if anyone here has been, but people rave about it. It's called "Fiore's House of Quality." It's a sandwich shop, but their specialty is a roast beef with mozzarella sandwich which I think they only offer two days a week. The place routinely gets lines out the door. I have seen one or two food bloggers do a feature on it, calling it the best sandwich in America.

Here is a 5 minute video on this sandwich. I am definitely getting to this place at some point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcKNz64uK1A&t=114s