News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

the most iconic American sandwiches

Started by LennG, May 31, 2022, 01:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: squibber on May 31, 2022, 04:30:12 PM
I often tell my waitress I want a rubber band sandwich and make it snappy!

It usually gets a laugh.

Remember they work on tips folks   :laugh: :P :D
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I've already listed my iconic sandwiches - hot pastrami on rye with Russian dressing, lobster rolls, etc., the truth is, I grew up in a home with parents who survived the great depression so I learned how to eat cheap...not so much because I am cheap, I just learned to like foods that other people rarely eat.

Examples:

- Scrambled eggs and ketchup sandwich
- potted meat sandwich
- Deviled ham (mixed with sweet relish and mayo) sandwich
- tomato and mayo sandwich

And those that everyone has heard of

- egg salad sandwich
- PB&J

There's others, but I'm being constantly interrupted so that I can't think straight

There could probably be a whole thread just on meals from the depression era that people still eat - brown flour gravy (milk gravy) on pancakes, saltines and milk, etc
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I had sort of the same upbringing. I was a child of the 50s and 60s when things were really booming, but not so much in our house. Both my parents worked so I was always fixing my own food since I was about 14.
I had always loved a good Tuna fish sandwich, but I was always looking to zing it up a bit, instead of the same old tuna all the time. I was always adding things to it to sort of 'spice' it up a bit. I can say the same for my standard PBJ sandwiches. I was always trying new jellies, with adding different ingredients to it, like chocolate chips, different fruits, etc. I think that has carried over to the present day as I do most of the cooking in our house and I'm always looking to 'improve' a standard dish with some extra stuff, or spices.

Anyway, some things, from my youth have still carried over into adult life, especially sandwiches.
I've mentioned my favorites, but in addition, and this is only my own sandwich, a good fresh turkey salad with only Hellman's mayo. My own thing is to fry up some onion and add it along with some chopped egg and assorted spices and it has to be eaten on fresh bakery rye bread.
One of my other favs is a good sloppy joe sandwich on a fresh onion roll--messy but good.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I too like to doctor up simple sandwiches like adding chopped green olives onto my egg salad sandwiches and pineapple chunks to chicken salad along with cut up celery. I think I'll do that for lunch today  :yes:

jimv

I eat my tuna sandwiches with chopped onion & a slice of tomato.

Ed Vette

My Sunday morning breakfast is usually toasted egg bagel with sliced lox, capers and butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

babywhales

Philly Cheesesteak
Nashville Hot
Cornbeef Special  (Cornbeef, Coleslaw, swiss, & Thousand on Rye)
Porkroll, Egg and Cheese on a Kiser
Italian Sub
BLT CLUB
Grilled spam and Cheese on a roll
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Ed Vette

Quote from: babywhales on June 03, 2022, 03:15:09 PM
Philly Cheesesteak
Nashville Hot
Cornbeef Special  (Cornbeef, Coleslaw, swiss, & Thousand on Rye)
Porkroll, Egg and Cheese on a Kiser
Italian Sub
BLT CLUB
Grilled spam and Cheese on a roll
If you were from NJ it would be Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Ed, it seems you over hit your "send" button. It immediately reminded me of one of my favorite commercials of an Encyclopedia company getting barraged with orders...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ltwg2nTK4

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 03, 2022, 05:21:49 PM
Ed, it seems you over hit your "send" button. It immediately reminded me of one of my favorite commercials of an Encyclopedia company getting barraged with orders...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ltwg2nTK4
Or we are very serious about our Taylor Ham.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 03, 2022, 05:28:49 PM
Or we are very serious about our Taylor Ham.

=)) =)) =)) =)) =))

DaveBrown74

Technical question: Pork roll and Taylor ham are identical, correct?

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 04, 2022, 08:01:58 AM
Technical question: Pork roll and Taylor ham are identical, correct?
https://youtu.be/i2nuPVTU4Z4

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Ed: I apologize if I ruined your joke, but I just deleted all the duplicate posts (before seeing the one with the punch line!).   Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!