News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Youth baseball coach fractured 72-year-old umpire's jaw after ejection

Started by MightyGiants, June 16, 2022, 10:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

People who cannot control their anger and resort to significant violent outbursts should not be walking around freely on the streets. They deserve a chance to rehabilitate themselves, but I am sick of seeing stories like this (the incident at MSG last week comes to mind). Lock these thugs up.

Jolly Blue Giant

It will likely cost him any career in baseball if he thought he had one. About 25 years ago there was a local guy who was drafted in major league baseball. He was big, strong, and hit a ton of home runs. In the off season, the team sent him to Mexico for seasoning before bringing him up to the majors as a starter. While in Mexico he was called out on an "iffy" call by the ump. The player who shall remain unnamed, started jawing with the ump and suddenly went berserk and unmercifully beat the umpire. He was cut the next day and never played another game of professional baseball in his life. A single moment of anger took him from a multi-million dollar a year player to a janitor's position at the local high school he attended
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

The thing that bothers me the most is how did a guy like this was allowed to work with children.   Drinking between games, criminal assault, not the type of person that should be around children, much less coaching them
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 16, 2022, 10:56:09 AMThe thing that bothers me the most is how did a guy like this was allowed to work with children.   Drinking between games, criminal assault, not the type of person that should be around children, much less coaching them

100%. You can make a strong case that this whole episode should have never happened, if only there had been even some mild, surface vetting of an individual charged with the responsibility of working with and mentoring children.

Still, now that it has happened, I hope this guy gets dealt with appropriately.

Jolly Blue Giant

I read the story but failed to pickup that it was the coach, not the kid  :doh:

Ignore my previous post
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

In all my years of being an umpire, over 50 and still going, I have seen countlrss teams and parents who take on the personna of the manager. If he is aggressive, usually the players and their parents are also.
This was a travel team which means winning at all cost. It is sad that someone like that is the one to teach kids but when so much emphasis is put on winning,this is bound to keep happening

Kids are not taugh how to lose. I have seen so many coaches never tell their kids " ok we played well and lost". No its always someone elses fault mostly the umps.
It comes with the terrtory as an umpire.
The umpire here should sue this for every penny he has
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss