News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

London/Britain heat wave

Started by ELCHALJE, July 19, 2022, 01:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELCHALJE

Just wondering how our UK members are doing in the unprecedented heat wave.  Reading that A/C is not too common 
in Britain.  Hope you guys are doing well and that some relief from the heat may be forthcoming.

DaveBrown74

I have mentioned this before but my family and I lived in London for 8 years, so I am very familiar with the way of life there. Air conditioning was getting a little more common by the end of my time there, but it was still very normal to not have it, and that was the case for the vast majority of people I knew there. Thankfully we had it at our place, but most people don't. Needless to say I really feel for folks there. It got to 90 or so a couple of times during our time there, but 100-103 degrees is a different level. And since it stays light so late into the evening there I don't think it cooled off much the last couple of nights. I hope UKGiants, EdJohnston, and our other friends here from across the pond and their families have hung in. Seems like the worst of it is over now hopefully.

EDjohnst1981

Thanks - it's been very difficult.

The vast majority of homes do not have AC and our built to keep the heat in rather than out.

Sleeping has been a slog.  Its far more mild in the south west of England tonight but I've been reading of some horrible fires around other parts of the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on July 19, 2022, 06:15:58 PMThanks - it's been very difficult.

The vast majority of homes do not have AC and our built to keep the heat in rather than out.

Sleeping has been a slog.  Its far more mild in the south west of England tonight but I've been reading of some horrible fires around other parts of the country.

I'm sorry to hear that Ed. Looks like it is ending now at least, so the worst looks to be behind you. I'm sure the last 48 hours have really sucked.

Slugsy-Narrows

North East Get Ready my 14 day forecast starting today doesn't show a day below 92 here in NJ

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on July 19, 2022, 07:33:45 PMNorth East Get Ready my 14 day forecast starting today doesn't show a day below 92 here in NJ

I'm not particularly looking forward to it, but our forecast is pretty mild compared to some parts of the country. I have a friend in Dallas for example, and he told me it's 105-110 there almost daily.

jimv

It's hot across just about all of the U.S. #:-S  ~X(   It's likely to last into next week. :surrender:

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 19, 2022, 07:39:55 PMI'm not particularly looking forward to it, but our forecast is pretty mild compared to some parts of the country. I have a friend in Dallas for example, and he told me it's 105-110 there almost daily.
Yea but Texas is known for those days!  We get a 90 here or there not almost 2 weeks straight! 

Listen hot is hot!  I hate the heat!  At least in the cold I can put more clothes on or light a fire.  When you are in a pool it's hot and you are still at sweating it sucks!!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on July 19, 2022, 10:41:53 PMYea but Texas is known for those days!  We get a 90 here or there not almost 2 weeks straight! 

Listen hot is hot!  I hate the heat!  At least in the cold I can put more clothes on or light a fire.  When you are in a pool it's hot and you are still at sweating it sucks!!!

Same here. Give me 25 degrees over 90 degrees any day.

LennG

Me too. I just do not do well in heat, any heat.
Give me a cold day anytime.  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: