News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Social Media Stumper

Started by T200, July 20, 2022, 07:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

This has been making its rounds on the social media circuit. Thought I'd post it here for the resident thinkers  :ok:

================

A man steals a $100 bill from a store's register.

He then buys $70 worth of goods at the same store using the stolen $100 bill and gets $30 change.

How much money did the store lose?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

The store loses $30 in cash and $70 in merchandise
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

$100.

Store lost $100 when it was stolen. Yes, the thief handed the $100 back to the store, but when that happened the store then lost $70 of merchandise and then handed the guy another $30. So they net lost $100.

LennG

It sure does seem TOO easy for it just to be $100.

The stolen $100 was replaced when the merchandise was bought. so they lost $70 in merchandise and $30 in cash.
Again, just seems too normal for it to be right.

So with my thinking, I'll say $200
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

SPOILER (If you think I know the answer)

I will lay things out.  Before the con man/thief entered your store, you had (for the sake of simplicity) $130 dollars in your register.   The man takes the $100 dollar bill and leaves the store.  He comes back and grabs $70 of merchandise and uses the stolen $100 bill to pay for the goods. 

Now when he leaves with the goods, you still have the $100 dollar bill in your register (you're short the $30 you gave him in change).   Your store is also less $70 in merchandise. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I was going to lay it out like this:

The store has $100 to start the day. The man steals $100 so the store's balance is at $0. The man gives the $100 back (in return for goods/change) and the store is now at $100 (same as the start of the day). Now the man *takes* $70 of groceries plus $30 in cash. The store is effectively down $100.

DaveBrown74

I'm curious - if this is really stumping lots of people, what is the most common wrong answer given? Do people guess that the store has lost nothing?

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on July 20, 2022, 01:26:18 PMI was going to lay it out like this:

The store has $100 to start the day. The man steals $100 so the store's balance is at $0. The man gives the $100 back (in return for goods/change) and the store is now at $100 (same as the start of the day). Now the man *takes* $70 of groceries plus $30 in cash. The store is effectively down $100.

How do you give $30 change from a $100 dollar bill  :hmm:

:P  :laugh:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 20, 2022, 01:37:56 PMI'm curious - if this is really stumping lots of people, what is the most common wrong answer given? Do people guess that the store has lost nothing?
The most common I've seen is $200.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 20, 2022, 01:38:41 PMHow do you give $30 change from a $100 dollar bill  :hmm:

:P  :laugh:
He had extra cash in his sock since he couldn't afford the time-lock safe. =))