News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How many COVID doses have you taken? Have you been infected?

Started by Ed Vette, July 21, 2022, 07:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Back in late April Linda and I got COVID for the first time. I was seven months after my first Booster. Initially I had no symptoms but they came on later in the week. By the time I called the doctor it was six days later so I couldn't take the medicine and had to let it run it's course. I took precautions with an inhaler and Montelukast which stops nasal drip into my chest.

The Dr said I could wait four months to get the second vaccine but I just took my second booster yesterday.

I did get an pneumonia shot to start the season as I had gotten pneumonia two years ago.

Linda's elderly mother recently contracted shingles about a month ago and is still experiencing pain after taking the medication for it. I need to take this vaccine at some point because I can see this is a serious illness. That's a two shot regimen.

It's crazy having to get all these vaccines but I know that because of them, it kept me from serious consequences. I also take Vitamin D and C along with other supplements.

How have you all faired so far?

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

My wife and I have had three doses, and we have both had covid (about two months ago). We will be getting our fourth dose in late August or September. One thing we didn't do was get the antiviral med (paxlovid?) once we had covid. Our cases weren't bad, but apparently that typically makes you get better a few days faster than if you don't take it.

DaveBrown74

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but one vax worth considering for anyone over 50 is the shingles vax. Our 15 year old daughter recently had shingles, and thankfully it wasn't too bad, although she was in a fairly substantial amount of pain for close to a week. It's much worse for adults though. I had an aunt who had it about 10 years ago at age 62, and she said it was three weeks of sheer hell. Anyone can get shingles who has had chickenpox or the chickenpox virus, as the virus lays dormant in your nerves and can get "triggered" by something as basic as a sunburn. I know everyone is sick of vaccines, but this is one worth looking at if you don't have it. From what I have read about and talked about with my aunt, I would rather get covid (in its current form) 10 times than get shingles once.

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm pretty well vaxed (knock on wood)

I got the P&G vax as soon as it was available
I got a P&G booster as soon as I was told we needed a booster
I got a Pfizer booster 6 months later after a doctor told me the Pfizer was more effective than the other two. I have a vaccine card case about the size of a passport to protect my card (which is running out of room and may need a second card if I'm told to get boosted again

I have not had COVID

Concerning a shingles vax, I need to get one. Haven't had shingles, but know a few people that have and it sounds absolutely awful

I didn't get the Smallpox vaccination as a child because it was given at school the day I was home sick. All my siblings got it though. I think I'm safe there

I have also had both Pneumonia vaccinations so hopefully that works  :knockONwood:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Interestingly enough, there is some anecdotal evidence that suggests shingles could be triggered by the Covid vaccine.    I know a couple of people who ended up with Shingles a week or two after getting a dose of the vaccine.

I haven't gotten the shingles vaccine, but it's on my to-do list.

I have had the Covid vaccine and two booster doses (with the 3rd shot being full strength)

So far, if I have gotten Covid, it's either been very mild, or it's been symptom-free because I don't believe I have been infected. 

Hopefully, in the fall, there will be a bivalent vaccine available that will target Omicron specifically.  I will be first in line when that becomes available as in theory, it could prove much more effective (assuming we haven't moved on to another variant by then).

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Only 1 vax of covid in Aug last year got the Maderna double tap.

I have yet to be diagnosed with it.

Pretty much the whole house got it beginning of Jan.

I felt run down for 24 hrs and then was perfectly fine going forward.  Never ran a fever or had any other symptoms other then feeling tired for 24hrs

I will be 50 in October and need to talk to the Dr about Shingles Vax.

They really need to change the name of the covid shot as it's not a vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on July 21, 2022, 09:15:56 AMOnly 1 vax of covid in Aug last year got the Maderna double tap.

I have yet to be diagnosed with it.

Pretty much the whole house got it beginning of Jan.

I felt run down for 24 hrs and then was perfectly fine going forward.  Never ran a fever or had any other symptoms other then feeling tired for 24hrs

I will be 50 in October and need to talk to the Dr about Shingles Vax.

They really need to change the name of the covid shot as it's not a vaccine.

Paul, who told you the Covid shot is not a vaccine?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 21, 2022, 09:03:57 AMInterestingly enough, there is some anecdotal evidence that suggests shingles could be triggered by the Covid vaccine.    I know a couple of people who ended up with Shingles a week or two after getting a dose of the vaccine.

I haven't gotten the shingles vaccine, but it's on my to-do list.

I have had the Covid vaccine and two booster doses (with the 3rd shot being full strength)

So far, if I have gotten Covid, it's either been very mild, or it's been symptom-free because I don't believe I have been infected. 

Hopefully, in the fall, there will be a bivalent vaccine available that will target Omicron specifically.  I will be first in line when that becomes available as in theory, it could prove much more effective (assuming we haven't moved on to another variant by then).

I was going to wait for the bivalent vaccine but that seemed too long a wait. I had so far the two initial Pfizer's and two boosters now plus the antibodies from the virus which btw was a very bad cold with running nose and cough for several days, a fever of over 100 before tylenol which brought it down. When I see people walking around in masks now, I tend to think some of them are infected and just go out and about. Most people have the free test kits at home and their cases are not reported. I wonder why China is in lockdown with such few reported cases. Is there more to that.

As far as the vaccine triggering Shingles, that would suck. big time. I think I want to wait a couple of weeks to now get the shingles vaccine and I wonder if what you reported was people who got them both at the same time. Healthline says they can be taken simultaneously in different arms. 

Btw, what happened to spellcheck?   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

My wife got the Pfizer 2-dose back in January '21 when it was first available. I got the Moderna 2-dose a few weeks after her. We haven't had any boosters since. We had been COVID-free despite our two sons and their girlfriends, plus numerous co-workers having caught it. We got our first and only taste of it mid-May.

I had chills and body aches, but no fever, for the good part of a day. My wife was down for about three days. Chills and aches for her as well without a fever.

I've had several co-workers test positive twice just this year; all have been vaccinated and some have had the booster.

I will also add that when the mask mandates were dropped, I stopped wearing my mask. We are going to MSG this weekend to see Kevin Hart and Chris Rock. With the monkeypox outbreak up there, my wife and I will definitely be masked up.

On the shingles front, I have not had the chickenpox and as I understand it, am not at risk for shingles.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on July 21, 2022, 09:40:15 AMMy wife got the Pfizer 2-dose back in January '21 when it was first available. I got the Moderna 2-dose a few weeks after her. We haven't had any boosters since. We had been COVID-free despite our two sons and their girlfriends, plus numerous co-workers having caught it. We got our first and only taste of it mid-May.

I had chills and body aches, but no fever, for the good part of a day. My wife was down for about three days. Chills and aches for her as well without a fever.

I've had several co-workers test positive twice just this year; all have been vaccinated and some have had the booster.

I will also add that when the mask mandates were dropped, I stopped wearing my mask. We are going to MSG this weekend to see Kevin Hart and Chris Rock. With the monkeypox outbreak up there, my wife and I will definitely be masked up.

On the shingles front, I have not had the chickenpox and as I understand it, am not at risk for shingles.

Tim,

Right now most of the spread of monkeypox in the USA has been men having sex with men (contact with the lesions).  So if you want to mask up to be safe from Covid, great, but there is no need to make up from monkeypox.

Yes, if you have not had chickenpox you are not at risk for shingles
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 21, 2022, 09:53:03 AMYes, if you have not had chickenpox you are not at risk for shingles

I am fairly sure that if you have had the chicken pox vaccine you can get shingles (even if you never had chickenpox).

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 21, 2022, 10:14:02 AMI am fairly sure that if you have had the chicken pox vaccine you can get shingles (even if you never had chickenpox).

DB,

This is still something we are learning about as those who were vaccinated get older

https://historyofvaccines.org/blog/chickenpox-vaccine-and-shingles-risk
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 21, 2022, 09:22:55 AMPaul, who told you the Covid shot is not a vaccine?
vac·cine
/vakˈsēn/
a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases

Immunity being the KEY WORD and this shot is proven not to make you immune!

Seeing as it doesn't produce immunity and only helps lessen symptoms (which is a good thing don't get me wrong it's saving lives) it's not a vaccine.  Calling it as such I think IN MY OPINION- is misleading!

People hear vaccine they think small pox, chick pox, measles, etc type that you get the shot and you won't catch it!

Seeing as "the president" is vaxxed and boosted till the cows come home and just got it, it doesn't provide immunity, again hence not a vaccine!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on July 21, 2022, 10:34:36 AMvac·cine
/vakˈsēn/
a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases

Immunity being the KEY WORD and this shot is proven not to make you immune!

Seeing as it doesn't produce immunity and only helps lessen symptoms (which is a good thing don't get me wrong it's saving lives) it's not a vaccine.  Calling it as such I think IN MY OPINION- is misleading!

People hear vaccine they think small pox, chick pox, measles, etc type that you get the shot and you won't catch it!

Seeing as "the president" is vaxxed and boosted till the cows come home and just got it, it doesn't provide immunity, again hence not a vaccine!

~ Coach Tom Coughlin