News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How many COVID doses have you taken? Have you been infected?

Started by Ed Vette, July 21, 2022, 07:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

In terms of treatment when you test positive for Covid, I figure this-  The President of the United States has access to and receives the best medical care available.

That said, our President tested positive for covid and:

QuoteBiden, 79, has started taking Paxlovid following his test result, officials said. This antiviral treatment has been found to decrease the risk of COVID hospitalization and death by 89%. Vice President Kamala Harris was similarly prescribed Paxlovid after testing positive for COVID-19 back in April, despite her being asymptomatic.

In light of the President and Vice President both receiving this treatment, I am thinking it's probably the best medical call.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 21, 2022, 02:51:59 PMIn terms of treatment when you test positive for Covid, I figure this-  The President of the United States has access to and receives the best medical care available.

In light of the President and Vice President both receiving this treatment, I am thinking it's probably the best medical call.

Is it possible to get paxlovid if you don't have covid? Ie, just to have it on hand in case you get covid? Or will they only give it to you if and when you actually test positive?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 21, 2022, 03:00:15 PMIs it possible to get paxlovid if you don't have covid? Ie, just to have it on hand in case you get covid? Or will they only give it to you if and when you actually test positive?

It's my understanding you need a positive test.  If memory serves the FDA just authorized pharmacists to prescribe, so test positive at your drug store and you can then get the drug from them
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on July 21, 2022, 12:57:53 PMI agree.
We have been on Lipitor, for high cholesterol for years. We take a 10mg pill every night. A good friend of ours, whole cholesterol level almost equals ours, different doctor takes a 30mg pill. I asked my doctor about this a while ago, and he just said he prefers the least medication as long as it is doing the job, which I agree with fully.
As for the Covid thing, he said without myself and my wife, having any major medical issues and with the Covid symptoms not severe he siad he could have that pill and its side effects but he felt we'd be fine without it, so we opted to forgo it.

The President was taken off his cholesterol and another medication, perhaps afib, while in this COVID Medication. Perhaps that's why your physician decided not to prescribe it to you.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 21, 2022, 02:51:59 PMIn terms of treatment when you test positive for Covid, I figure this-  The President of the United States has access to and receives the best medical care available.

The vast results of rebound were about 5% and none of them required hospitalization.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Cr00zng

I had three Covid shots and pretty much will stop there. I've seen people in really bad shape after getting the second booster, including my neighbor. They go from doctor-to-doctor, but they don't find anything to fix them. There's no reason for me for getting the 2nd and possibly subsequent bosters. I still wear mask, wash my hands, avoid large gathering, etc., for protection. I find it ironic that back in the days, when Covid infection rates were ~5%, CDC required us to wear mask. Nowadays, when the infection rate is ~10%, the CDC says, nah, you ok...

I haven't had Covid infection as of yet, but the long Covid looks scary. The CDC data shows, that 1-in-13 adults have long Covid. That's lot of people already suffering from it and this number will increase as the infection continuous to spread. And spread it will, since the Covid shot will not prevent getting infected, mildly infected is still an infection...

LennG

Quote from: Cr00zng on July 21, 2022, 10:39:25 PMI had three Covid shots and pretty much will stop there. I've seen people in really bad shape after getting the second booster, including my neighbor. They go from doctor-to-doctor, but they don't find anything to fix them. There's no reason for me for getting the 2nd and possibly subsequent bosters. I still wear mask, wash my hands, avoid large gathering, etc., for protection. I find it ironic that back in the days, when Covid infection rates were ~5%, CDC required us to wear mask. Nowadays, when the infection rate is ~10%, the CDC says, nah, you ok...

I haven't had Covid infection as of yet, but the long Covid looks scary. The CDC data shows, that 1-in-13 adults have long Covid. That's lot of people already suffering from it and this number will increase as the infection continuous to spread. And spread it will, since the Covid shot will not prevent getting infected, mildly infected is still an infection...

How are you doing Otto? Long time no see.

Glad you are OK and hope you visit more often. Not that our  guys here aren't great company ( =))  =)) ).
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Nyfg83

Quote from: T200 on July 21, 2022, 11:16:30 AMI completely agree. But when you say "it's not how we were originally sold on this," it perpetuates the false narrative. I'm not trying to call you out but I see that statement as the same regurgitation by many who were against the vaccine from day 1.
You should check out what the president says about the vaccine.....you would think he would have been better informed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LennG

From what I am hearing, all the vaccines and boosters are really ineffective against this new strain.

Anyone hear any different?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on July 23, 2022, 09:37:02 AMFrom what I am hearing, all the vaccines and boosters are really ineffective against this new strain.

Anyone hear any different?

The new strains seem to be effective in infecting vaccinated people.   As far as we have seen, the vaccine still helps prevent serious illnesses.   Of course, with treatment drugs available, it's really hard to get a good indicator of the serious illness issue since the drugs introduce a new variable.

I mean to really circle back, we are not even 100% sure how much of the current infections are due to the new strains and how much is due to the vaccination aging in most of the population (not many recent vaccinations except in children)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: Nyfg83 on July 22, 2022, 10:12:08 PMYou should check out what the president says about the vaccine.....you would think he would have been better informed

Maybe he was.

At the end of the day, we owe it to ourselves to learn as much as we can from what is available to make the best informed decision we can for ourselves and our families.

The president, past or present, has no bearing on those decisions.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on July 21, 2022, 08:42:25 AMI'm pretty well vaxed (knock on wood)

I got the P&G vax as soon as it was available
I got a P&G booster as soon as I was told we needed a booster
I got a Pfizer booster 6 months later after a doctor told me the Pfizer was more effective than the other two. I have a vaccine card case about the size of a passport to protect my card (which is running out of room and may need a second card if I'm told to get boosted again

I have not had COVID

Concerning a shingles vax, I need to get one. Haven't had shingles, but know a few people that have and it sounds absolutely awful

I didn't get the Smallpox vaccination as a child because it was given at school the day I was home sick. All my siblings got it though. I think I'm safe there

I have also had both Pneumonia vaccinations so hopefully that works  :knockONwood:

Quoting myself because of the complete irony of it all

I wrote this above response last Thursday. Friday morning I woke up with a scratchy neck and shoulder and didn't think a whole lot about it. I've always had an itchy spine. By Friday night it became irritable and my girlfriend said I had a rash all along the back of my neck. So I called the doctor who's out of town for a couple of weeks and their NP's were booked. Thought, "Oh well, probably nothing and it will go away". It started to really get worse on Sunday so this morning I demanded my health center to see me even though my doctor isn't available. Just got back from the doctor's office

Long story short: I got shingles  :Faint:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on July 25, 2022, 10:43:33 AMQuoting myself because of the complete irony of it all

I wrote this above response last Thursday. Friday morning I woke up with a scratchy neck and shoulder and didn't think a whole lot about it. I've always had an itchy spine. By Friday night it became irritable and my girlfriend said I had a rash all along the back of my neck. So I called the doctor who's out of town for a couple of weeks and their NP's were booked. Thought, "Oh well, probably nothing and it will go away". It started to really get worse on Sunday so this morning I demanded my health center to see me even though my doctor isn't available. Just got back from the doctor's office

Ugh... very sorry to hear this. The good news is that barring exceptionally rare circumstances the disease will go away after a few weeks (hopefully even faster) and does not pose any sort of life-threatening situation. My daughter started to feel better within a day or two after she went on the antiviral meds. Granted, I realize the prognosis is usually better for kids, but the doctor told us for adults it's a wide range. Hopefully your pain is manageable (obviously all kinds of meds for this depending on severity) and hopefully it goes away soon. Again sorry to hear about it, and I hope you feel better.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on July 25, 2022, 10:43:33 AMQuoting myself because of the complete irony of it all

ouch  :hurt:

Hope you feel better soon
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I'm sorry to hear that, Ric. My MIL came down with it over a month ago and even after the antiviral she still had pain and itch for weeks. Linda tried a Lidocaine prescription by Rugby to dry it up but nerve endings pain remained and then she used IcyHot and that helped a lot.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin