News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Other Brain Excercises besides Wordle

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, August 17, 2022, 10:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I use a variety of internet games to try and keep my brain somewhat sharp so thought I'd share if anyone else does the same

I play the daily Sudoku challenge. You can play "Easy", "Medium", or "Hard". Once a day, there is a "Daily Challenge" which is "Easy", but you are playing against the clock and thousands of others for a best time. My best time is 1:42 and I came in 21st. My goal is to be in the top hundred and I usually complete it in under 3:00

The website I use is: www.247sudoku.com/

Mine today:

I also get two games a day that alerts me through my email: Daily Trivia and Brain Candy

The Daily Trivia is actually twice a day, once in the morning and a second one later in the day. If you sign up, you do get occasional emails for games that actually suck so you have to delete them. I try to keep my score up past 65%, which sometimes is easy and sometimes it's not. You learn things you probably wouldn't normally know by playing. I never Google a question in order to get it right because I'd rather get 0% right than cheat myself. Anyway, the website I use is: https://triviatoday.com/

And it has some interesting tidbits (fun facts) at the bottom like:

Lastly, I play "Brain Candy" which is a collection of about 10 questions with multiple choice answers. Some days it's very interesting, other times it's about old TV shows or pop musicians that don't interest me, but it makes the blood circulate in my cranium. The site I use is: https://trivia.braincandy.net/

Today's was interesting (to me anyway)

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

We do MindPal daily. It measures problem solving, math, language, flexibility, attention, memory, speed and an overall with gauge range from, beginner to intermediate, advanced and elite. If you don't get pro which we didn't, you will have to put up with Ads and they limit the type of games so it's difficult to get past intermediate on some categories but I'm advanced on four and the overall.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=mindpal&c=apps

I also have a Blackjack App where I'm ahead $450K. I liked the Gin Rummy game but too many ads.

There's a Chess App on my Macbook Pro that I should take advantage of but I'm mobile most of the time and not behind a desk.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

I do the crosswords daily in my local paper and the sudoku from Wednesday thru Sunday (Mon and Tues are just too easy). I have tried to play online against a clock, but I feel pressured. I was always great at math, it being my favorite and best subject, but I like to go at my own pace and have my own system.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on August 17, 2022, 11:23:05 AMI do the crosswords daily in my local paper and the sudoku from Wednesday thru Sunday (Mon and Tues are just too easy). I have tried to play online against a clock, but I feel pressured. I was always great at math, it being my favorite and best subject, but I like to go at my own pace and have my own system.

I like the clock in Sudoku because it forces me to see patterns rather than simply doing a block or a line. I hate it when I get too fast and put in a wrong number because the game "fines" you 15 seconds  ~X(

For the last few years, my father always did the daily crossword puzzle in the Cortland Standard (which my Dad used to call the Cortland Sub-Standard...LOL). Once he did as much as he could, my mother would fill in a few and then give the paper to me to finish. One of my fondest memories. My mother (in her 90's) continued for a few months after my father's passing, but thought the price of the daily paper being delivered was ridiculous just to do a crossword puzzle, and crypto quote game so I stopped getting the paper

There is a game called "Nerdle" that is like Wordle except it uses math equations https://nerdlegame.com/

I've tried it a few times and don't do well...which is surprising as I have one of my degrees in Math. Maybe it's a game you'd like Lenn...give it a whirl
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

In our local paper, they basically have 2 smaller crosswords and 2 sudokus each day. This started with the pandemic when people were home and needed more to do. The 'extra' crosswords I do every day, the regular one I do, as with the sudoku, from mid-week on. As with most papers, the Sunday edition includes the giant crossword which I work on all week. I do as much as I can, then walk away, come back another day, and seem to get more words and so on throughout the week. There are always things I will never get like which opera song was this or what Shakespearian character said what. As much as I've seen these same clues over the years, I never took the time to learn them.  :boooo:  :boooo:  :boooo:

To this day, as we are so old-fashioned, we still love the paper in front of us when we eat breakfast and have a great deal with Newsday so I will continue to pay them ay paper every day.  :ok:  :ok:  :ok:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss