News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

New York State Fair

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, September 03, 2022, 10:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I spent a few hours at the New York State Fair in Syracuse yesterday. I go every year and each year think it's probably my last, but never is. Beautiful sunny day, but what a mad house. Trying to get into the main parking lot, cars are backed up for a quarter mile in every direction. A half hour of stop and crawl and I finally got to park. Maybe 10 thousand cars in the Orange lot across the road from the fair and next to the St. Joseph's Health Amphitheater - an outdoor concert venue on the shores of Onondaga Lake for major concerts (thanks New York taxpayers and Gov. Cuomo for that). Next, wait at one of three bus stops for the caravan of buses shuttling people like ranchers herd cattle to get to the grounds. Free to go in for me because I'm over 65...although I appreciated the woman making me prove it with my license because that means she thought I was younger  :yes:

I hit the ground with a few goals in mind: find the Bold Coast Lobster truck and get a lobster roll, check out a lot of skin (yeah, I'm a pig), and check out of few new projects. As I get into the gate, a crowd is waiting for the first concert of the day at Chevy Court which is an open stage with about a thousand seats and a bunch of picnic tables spread out over a huge lawn graced with shade trees. There is also Chevy Park - a much larger concert venue that can accommodate more people at the back of the fair grounds and typically get over 30,000 people. Nelly got 43,000 a couple of days ago. Chevy Court - although it only has seating for a few hundred can also gather big crowds like Bruno Mars getting 35,000 a few years ago and some band called "A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie" got over 40,000 at the court. Anyway, music all day depending on where you are on the fair grounds. No sooner did I start my day at the fair and some guy named Tai Verdes stepped out on the stage and started singing. The music can be heard across most of the fairgrounds so you can figure how loud it is...LOUD

The fair is so large that in order to get where you want to go, it's best to look at one of the maps on various kiosks. The fairgrounds are 375 acres with 110 different buildings that includes, a new 50 million dollar Expo Center for sports, but has been used almost exclusively the past couple of years as central New York's Covid vaccination center operating 24/7 and has vaccinated the second most amount of people in the country - which includes me, the Center of Progress Building, house of science wonders, art wonders, native American wonders, latest police non-auto vehicles, food source buildings, cows, sheep, horses, goats, pigs, chickens, you name it, etc., as well as a full blown set of carnival rides, games, and of course many, many food trucks. If you've never been to it, it's big, but not so big that you could get lost. Although if you had small children and they got separated from you, it'd be a nightmare.

Anyway, found the food truck I was looking for.

It was worth the trip
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ozzie

Wow! You're eating like a King, Jolly! Those lobster rolls look incredible. I hope the rest of your day was as good as your lunch!  :yes:
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Ed Vette

Never heard of it before. @bighitterdalama did you ever do an off duty shift there?

@jimv used to tailgate with us and bring Maine Lobsters. Caught the day before.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: ozzie on September 03, 2022, 10:54:10 AMWow! You're eating like a King, Jolly! Those lobster rolls look incredible. I hope the rest of your day was as good as your lunch!  :yes:

Funny you should mention that because after I left the fair, my day went to crap. On my drive home I got a call from my credit union fraud line telling me there is "suspicious activity on my credit card". I checked my account when I got home and there was a charge of 39.95 for "Climbthemountain.com" that I've never heard of. I had only used my credit card once in the past week and it was for parking at the fair (5.00) and for the first time ever, the parking wouldn't take cash and only credit cards. So one of the young people at the entrance scanned my card with a hand held device that looked little different than a cell phone. The charge for climbthemountain.com was 5 minutes later. So I had to go to my credit union where they refused payment and I had to get a new card with new numbers to stop further activity. PITA!

But the day was fun prior to that. I really enjoyed the music by Verdas which was light and upbeat hip hop...something I would normally hate, but it was actually very good and it made all the young girls dance as they were walking which made me laugh. And the lobster roll was incredible...just pricey

Bob In PA

Did you mortgage your house to pay for the meal? LOL
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 03, 2022, 12:02:36 PMDid you mortgage your house to pay for the meal? LOL

No...don't have a mortgage anymore. Had to sell a kidney though  :(

Sem

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 03, 2022, 12:06:11 PMNo...don't have a mortgage anymore. Had to sell a kidney though  :(
May be expensive but once in a while, like this type of event, you splurge. Life's too short, you should occasionally enjoy yourself with such pleasures.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on September 03, 2022, 12:21:23 PMMay be expensive but once in a while, like this type of event, you splurge. Life's too short, you should occasionally enjoy yourself with such pleasures.

Truth be told, it cost more for gas and parking than for a single lobster roll and I haven't had one in several years. This particular food truck is very popular, but doesn't always set up at the fair so I keep missing it. Each time I call them when I'm in Syracuse to see where they're parked, it's always "out of season" so they are shut down. I asked the guy how many lobsters he buys to keep it going during the fair. He said "thousands". Personally, I suspect they have a deal with food companies that sell frozen lobster tails at grocery stores and has a deal to buy all the left over claws. I don't know that for sure, but that would make sense since the lobster rolls are entirely claw meat and not tail meat. That would make sense to me from a business point, but I just don't know

Bill Brown

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 03, 2022, 12:02:36 PMDid you mortgage your house to pay for the meal? LOL

Bob,

You can't find a lobster roll in Maine for less than 28 bucks. I was shocked when I saw 21 dollars for one.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jolly Blue Giant

Yesterday's crowd had 82,615 paying visitors (not counting us old fogies who get in for free) bringing this year's attendence so far to 642,412

A couple of interesting links

Different foods at the Fair (not including the heart attack foods like fried orios, fried sticks of butter, etc., that advertise they have an EMT available...LOL)

https://www.syracuse.com/statefair/2022/09/ny-state-fair-fare-8-things-you-should-try-before-the-gates-close-for-2022.html

A little about the Native American section of the Fair that I always like to visit

https://www.syracuse.com/statefair/2022/09/nys-fair-2022-5-things-to-see-at-the-indian-village-dedicated-to-the-haudenosaunee-since-1928.html

Jolly Blue Giant

ozzie

Sorry the rest of your day wasn't as good as it started out, Jolly.
I've never been to the N.Y. State Fair. To be honest, I lived on L.I. for 30 years and can't recall ever even hearing about it. Here in Texas the State Fair is a huge deal. It's a monthlong festival. I've been to that one twice....Once was enough! I think the Texas Fair is just too crazy expensive for what they're offering. But it's a Texas tradition and if folks like it and want to attend, good for them.
I think if I had the chance, I'd go to the N.Y. Fair, even if it were only for the Lobster Rolls!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Just getting around to this.

Great job covering the NYS fair. We LOVE County Fairs and for man, many, many years always went to the Dutchess County Fair in Rhinebeck NY. We have also been to the County Fair around Albany, (Altoona, I believe). For so many years we used to see top-notch entertainers for free (now they charge for even a grandstand seat). We saw everyone from Neil Sedaka, to Oak Ridge Boys, to Charley Daniels, and many many more. We still go when we can, but so much has changed. We don't pig out as you do, but there is one booth that sells maybe the best french fries EVER, and the line is massive, all day long. We get those doggie dishes of them and chow down.

The State fairs are massive, as you say. When we were in Alaska, we had a free day and attended the Alaska State Fair, and I think everyone in Alaska was there the day we were there. Lucky I have a handicapped placard or else I never would have been able to park. And those lines for food, it was as if people hadn't eaten for a week and now they just told them to go for it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on September 23, 2022, 05:11:59 PMJust getting around to this.

Great job covering the NYS fair. We LOVE County Fairs and for man, many, many years always went to the Dutchess County Fair in Rhinebeck NY. We have also been to the County Fair around Albany, (Altoona, I believe). For so many years we used to see top-notch entertainers for free (now they charge for even a grandstand seat). We saw everyone from Neil Sedaka, to Oak Ridge Boys, to Charley Daniels, and many many more. We still go when we can, but so much has changed. We don't pig out as you do, but there is one booth that sells maybe the best french fries EVER, and the line is massive, all day long. We get those doggie dishes of them and chow down.

The State fairs are massive, as you say. When we were in Alaska, we had a free day and attended the Alaska State Fair, and I think everyone in Alaska was there the day we were there. Lucky I have a handicapped placard or else I never would have been able to park. And those lines for food, it was as if people hadn't eaten for a week and now they just told them to go for it.

Yeah - state fairs are massive. Like I pointed out in the beginning, the NYS Fair has 375 acres of fair grounds with 110 different buildings (some very large - like two soccer fields large) and they have two band stands going round the clock with major musicians and bands. The bandstands are far enough apart that the music doesn't clash (like a half mile apart). There's a third venue (the Lakeside Amphitheater) that is a mile away for truly huge and current superstars, but there's only a few of them during the 10-day event. But all the music is free. For that matter, entry is also free to anyone over 65 (or under 12) so if you're like me, everything is free except the food and parking (5.00). Great way to spend a day if you like crowds and exploring different cultures or catching a favorite band or you want to see incredible animals (dozens of breeds) that are adorned and show worthy, then the state fair is the place to be. One band that comes to the fair each and every year is Herman's Hermits. Folks really like them so they keep coming back. Peter Noone (lead singer of the Herman's Hermits) is 74 years old and prances around the stage like he's in his prime...and he does look 20 years younger than his age. Regardless, I was walking through the main area when he was starting his show so I stopped and listened for a few sets. He is ridiculously funny and could have made a living as a standup comic. The line that he said that got me to laugh was, "Hi everyone, I'm Peter Noone and this is my band..." He then went on to say, "you know, we thought we were a pretty big deal back in the 60's but we were always overshadowed by another band from England. Well guess what Ringo, guess what Paul..(then he yells) WE ARE IN SOLVAY, NEW YORK"). which to me is friggin hilarious because the Beatles would never have stooped so low as to play in Solvay - which is a rundown suburb (full of defunct factories of the 1800's) of Syracuse where the fairgrounds have been built. Anyway, it sure made me laugh

Anyway, a good way to spend a day if you don't live too far away

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on September 24, 2022, 10:30:36 AMYeah - state fairs are massive. Like I pointed out in the beginning, the NYS Fair has 375 acres of fair grounds with 110 different buildings (some very large - like two soccer fields large) and they have two band stands going round the clock with major musicians and bands. The bandstands are far enough apart that the music doesn't clash (like a half mile apart). There's a third venue (the Lakeside Amphitheater) that is a mile away for truly huge and current superstars, but there's only a few of them during the 10-day event. But all the music is free. For that matter, entry is also free to anyone over 65 (or under 12) so if you're like me, everything is free except the food and parking (5.00). Great way to spend a day if you like crowds and exploring different cultures or catching a favorite band or you want to see incredible animals (dozens of breeds) that are adorned and show worthy, then the state fair is the place to be. One band that comes to the fair each and every year is Herman's Hermits. Folks really like them so they keep coming back. Peter Noone (lead singer of the Herman's Hermits) is 74 years old and prances around the stage like he's in his prime...and he does look 20 years younger than his age. Regardless, I was walking through the main area when he was starting his show so I stopped and listened for a few sets. He is ridiculously funny and could have made a living as a standup comic. The line that he said that got me to laugh was, "Hi everyone, I'm Peter Noone and this is my band..." He then went on to say, "you know, we thought we were a pretty big deal back in the 60's but we were always overshadowed by another band from England. Well guess what Ringo, guess what Paul..(then he yells) WE ARE IN SOLVAY, NEW YORK"). which to me is friggin hilarious because the Beatles would never have stooped so low as to play in Solvay - which is a rundown suburb (full of defunct factories of the 1800's) of Syracuse where the fairgrounds have been built. Anyway, it sure made me laugh

Anyway, a good way to spend a day if you don't live too far away

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  Ric

We also saw Her man Hermit's in a concert over the summer, a few years ago, and he did that EXACT same line about the town he was performing in. He couldn't pronounce the name correctly and that became a running joke all concert long, but totally agree, he could have a second career as a stand-up comic. (And his music isn't bad either).
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss