News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Things that irk the crap out of me

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, October 28, 2022, 11:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

ok, I am rapidly entering the Grumpy, Curmudgeonly, no patience realm of Old Man.
I will say I agree with most everything already listed, but I just mark most of it down to society going down the tubes and the "Me First" attitude of most people I seem to always have contact with.
I have to disagree though, with the self checkout crew. I already have a job and I don't want to work at Walmart, Kroger, Home Depot or anywhere else. If I go into a store looking to spend my money on your products, the least you can do is have someone at the check out counter. If I'm expected to be my own cashier, the least these places can do is give me a discount for doing their job!! Soon I'll be doing all my shopping online just to avoid having to do someone else's job.

One more thing, not really a big deal, but I read an article today that sent me over edge.
The article was full of factual errors, misspelled words and piss poor punctuation, not to mention rambling, non-sensical sentences. It seems anyone with a phone or tablet is a "Journalist" now a days and it drives me crazy.

ok, Rant over.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

I was going to start a new topic about this, but why bother

What 'irks' the hell out of me, especially this time of year--the ENDLESS barrage :crazy:  of campaign ads on TV. What I would love to see in just ONE ad, is what the candidate has done and not pay all those thousands of dollars to knock the other guy. I was watching before and there were  12 ads on,  back-to-back, each telling me how bad their opponents are, but never telling me why this guy is better.
While we are talking, the other 'irk' are all those ridiculous signs that basically litter is landscape. We were in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and later in the Green Mountains of Vermont, and while the scenery was wonderful, it was also littered with thousands of those stupid lawn signs, fence signs, etc. Does anyone think seeing a sign is going to make one vote for that person?

We need a new way of doing things. THey should give each person a week to remove those signs or else be fined 1 dollar or more for every sign some one else has to remove.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on November 04, 2022, 08:57:49 PMI was going to start a new topic about this, but why bother

What 'irks' the hell out of me, especially this time of year--the ENDLESS barrage :crazy:  of campaign ads on TV. What I would love to see in just ONE ad, is what the candidate has done and not pay all those thousands of dollars to knock the other guy. I was watching before and there were  12 ads on,  back-to-back, each telling me how bad their opponents are, but never telling me why this guy is better.
While we are talking, the other 'irk' are all those ridiculous signs that basically litter is landscape. We were in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and later in the Green Mountains of Vermont, and while the scenery was wonderful, it was also littered with thousands of those stupid lawn signs, fence signs, etc. Does anyone think seeing a sign is going to make one vote for that person?

We need a new way of doing things. THey should give each person a week to remove those signs or else be fined 1 dollar or more for every sign some one else has to remove.

Pretty sure every person in the country shares your feelings. Hundreds of millions spent on negative ads and nary a single positive thought. "If you don't vote for me, your children will die and the U.S. will become North Korea"....duh

And yeah, absolutely no one decides who to vote for based on yard and road signs. Greatest thing about the day after elections is the end of the onslaught of propaganda littering our television and streets
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jclayton92

I play a game on my phone because I travel for work (like 180 days put of the year) and it occupies my time. I got so good at the game, like top 100 in the world that I make youtube videos on it now to help players just for fun.

What irks me is spending 45 minutes to an hour or more making a thumbnail for the video that people don't even look at maybe for 5 seconds as they click on the video. If you don't have a good one they don't click, and if you have a good one they just ignore it. (They being everyone) so my old a$$ in a paint app every day trying to make a drawing to appease people for 5 seconds so they watch the video really irks me lol.

Jolly Blue Giant

One I should have added in my initial thread, but forgot. Just bought a package of high quality socks - a package of 4, which reminded me how irritating it is. They (manufacturer) skewer the socks together with a plastic thread with a t-shape on both ends. They overdo it and every time you think you found the last one, there's another. On top of that, oftentimes the "t" end isn't all the way through and getting it out it starts the weaving of the sock to unravel in a spot. Last week I was out on the town and I kept itching the top of of foot where it meets the ankle. Drove me nuts. When I got home I discovered one of those t-ends stuck in the sock and the edge of it had been the source of my irritation. I miss the days when they simply used a sticky label wrapped over the top to hold the socks together and didn't have those irritating plastic things!  ~X(

Heck, while I'm at it I'll add another. You know those cardboard cereal boxes (and all other food that comes in a box), they usually have a tab and a slot to close up until next use. Hard to get the tab in the slot a lot of times because the slot sticks or isn't cleanly ripped. Some boxes though, there is no need for a slot and just have an indentation for the tab to go through. So much better. Why can't all the manufacturers get on board and copy the better design

And tee shirts. Remember those ads with Michael Jordan ripping tags off of people's tee shirts and boasting how his brand doesn't use tags. As a past engineer, I readily saw the reasoning and it wasn't for comfort, it saved the manufacturer tons of money to simply stamp the shirt with the size, etc. So, so much cheaper than sewing a tag on it. Where my real issue is, sometimes the ink is almoste the same color as the material of the tee shirt. Can't tell you how many times I've put a shirt on and it didn't feel right only to have to take it off and turn it around  ~X(

Oh yeah, one more thing. Since my house is about 15-20 yrs old, the bathroom tissue holders are ceramic and part of the walls. Now all the toilet paper rolls that you buy are too big to put in the holder until you take about 20% off the roll. What's with that???

Oh well - got that off my chest

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 07, 2022, 12:22:26 PMOne I should have added in my initial thread, but forgot. Just bought a package of high quality socks - a package of 4, which reminded me how irritating it is. They (manufacturer) skewer the socks together with a plastic thread with a t-shape on both ends. They overdo it and every time you think you found the last one, there's another. On top of that, oftentimes the "t" end isn't all the way through and getting it out it starts the weaving of the sock to unravel in a spot. Last week I was out on the town and I kept itching the top of of foot where it meets the ankle. Drove me nuts. When I got home I discovered one of those t-ends stuck in the sock and the edge of it had been the source of my irritation. I miss the days when they simply used a sticky label wrapped over the top to hold the socks together and didn't have those irritating plastic things!  ~X(

Heck, while I'm at it I'll add another. You know those cardboard cereal boxes (and all other food that comes in a box), they usually have a tab and a slot to close up until next use. Hard to get the tab in the slot a lot of times because the slot sticks or isn't cleanly ripped. Some boxes though, there is no need for a slot and just have an indentation for the tab to go through. So much better. Why can't all the manufacturers get on board and copy the better design

And tee shirts. Remember those ads with Michael Jordan ripping tags off of people's tee shirts and boasting how his brand doesn't use tags. As a past engineer, I readily saw the reasoning and it wasn't for comfort, it saved the manufacturer tons of money to simply stamp the shirt with the size, etc. So, so much cheaper than sewing a tag on it. Where my real issue is, sometimes the ink is almoste the same color as the material of the tee shirt. Can't tell you how many times I've put a shirt on and it didn't feel right only to have to take it off and turn it around  ~X(

Oh yeah, one more thing. Since my house is about 15-20 yrs old, the bathroom tissue holders are ceramic and part of the walls. Now all the toilet paper rolls that you buy are too big to put in the holder until you take about 20% off the roll. What's with that???

Oh well - got that off my chest

Feel better???   =))  =))  =))  =))  =))
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

squibber

There are two TV commercials that always bug me.

The Good Feet Store Commercial - Many complaints on this company. I hate their "candid" testimonials by individuals that are supposedly not actors. Their testimonials are too carefully crafted to be in their own words.  They may not be actors in the professional sense i.e. never paid to act in the past but I bet they were indeed acting.

Car Shield Commercial - Many complaints of non-payment of claims. The odds of this service benefitting you is low.  If the odds of receiving payments for repairs are anything near what you paid them monthly, Car Shield would be out of business. And that "Car Shield cars go farther." is ridiculous.

Jolly Blue Giant

There are a lot of commercials I don't like, but I really despise the Suburu ad that claims they are "made with love" (I guess all other car companies don't love what they do or love the people who buy their cars). I call bullshlt! Engineers design them focusing on things like style, how to cut costs, how to one-up a competitor, etc. And if the people on the floor who put these things together (not the robots) are like every other manufacturing shop in the world, more than likely they are complaining about management or the way things are done or not getting paid enough. No one in the shop is caressing a fender or a steering wheel because they just love the car so much and love, love, love whoever is going to buy it. It's a bad as the old ads back in the mid-60s when the Mustang came out and we were told "driving one is better than sex". Again, must call bullshlt. I've driven them - they are nice and fun...pretty much like all sports cars of the 60s. But better than sex????
Puhleeze...it doesn't even come close!  :doh:

Jolly Blue Giant

And another thing...or two

- When filling out forms on a computer, they ask for your address. No problem...I understand. But when it comes to putting in the state you live in, all the sites insist on a drop-down menu. Maybe if you live in Alaska or Arkansas or something not a big deal, but if you live in New York, you have to scroll down, then go past it and have to scroll back up. Here's my problem. The only thing the US Post Office main sorting facilities use when sorting mail is the zip code. The mail doesn't get sorted any finer until it gets to the actual local post office, who then sorts it by individual address. Sooooo...why the heck can't they ask for the zip code right after your name and highway/PO Box address when getting information on you. Putting in the zip code in the beginning would automatically fill in the town and the state. Bang...you're done as soon as you put in your zip!

- Cell phones in general! For me, it only rings when I'm on the throne or checking out at a store or in heavy wild traffic. And then it's usually someone telling my car warranty is running out or some other sales scam.... And now you need an app to go to a concert, or park your car. They won't accept cash, not even for concessions like a friggin beer. Today I went to Sam's Club, and they informed me that my club card will no longer work in a few weeks/months because all Sam's Club members have to download their app and when buying goods, are going to have to use the app to check out  >:( 2  I already have too many apps on my phone and the only one I even like to use is the flashlite app!

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 16, 2022, 06:44:09 PMAnd another thing...or two

- When filling out forms on a computer, they ask for your address. No problem...I understand. But when it comes to putting in the state you live in, all the sites insist on a drop-down menu. Maybe if you live in Alaska or Arkansas or something not a big deal, but if you live in New York, you have to scroll down, then go past it and have to scroll back up. Here's my problem. The only thing the US Post Office main sorting facilities use when sorting mail is the zip code. The mail doesn't get sorted any finer until it gets to the actual local post office, who then sorts it by individual address. Sooooo...why the heck can't they ask for the zip code right after your name and highway/PO Box address when getting information on you. Putting in the zip code in the beginning would automatically fill in the town and the state. Bang...you're done as soon as you put in your zip!

- Cell phones in general! For me, it only rings when I'm on the throne or checking out at a store or in heavy wild traffic. And then it's usually someone telling my car warranty is running out or some other sales scam.... And now you need an app to go to a concert, or park your car. They won't accept cash, not even for concessions like a friggin beer. Today I went to Sam's Club, and they informed me that my club card will no longer work in a few weeks/months because all Sam's Club members have to download their app and when buying goods, are going to have to use the app to check out  >:( 2  I already have too many apps on my phone and the only one I even like to use is the flashlite app!

If I have to use an app to shop at a store, I will not shop there. I know I am in the minority here, but I use my phone mostly to make phone calls and check the weather.

Plus, if we are irked about something,  when I try to watch an 'older' movie, or show like Columbo on TV stations that have commercials, I watch 7 minutes of the show then 5-6 minutes of commercials. Because of this, they edit the show so much, if I haven't seen it multiple times before I would have no idea WTF was going on.

So as we age, we need to see more and more doctors. That doesn't bother me, but what does is if I have an appointment for 11:00. I get there at 10:50, sign in, and then have to wait 45 minutes because the people who had appointments after me, got there before me, signed in before me and are taken before me. Why make appointments to begin with if the office won't follow along and lets first come first go see the doctor?

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Here is one from me.  I do a lot of walking.   It irks me when I see a petite woman being dragged along by a Pit Bull or other large and potentially do breed that she is trying to walk.   I am not opposed to pit bulls per-say if they are trained properly, they can be great pets.  The problem is that not everyone trains their pit bulls properly, and they can become very dangerous animals.  So when I see someone too small and weak to control their dog, I am putting my health and well-being at the mercy of their dog-raising skills and techniques.   I don't like that, not in the least.  I will qualify that I can see some of the dogs are well-trained.  I am referring more to the ones where you can't tell who is taking who for a walk.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 28, 2022, 11:17:11 AM- Beautiful young women who call me "sir"

=))  =))  =))

One from me though:

- my daughters (6yrs old) friends who come over to play and don't call me "Mr" but call me by my first name

Jolly Blue Giant

This one really, really irks me:

The Eagles have a good team this year, maybe will even be winners of the Superbowl this season. Yet they have two first round draft picks in the next year's draft, including a top 10 pick that they received from the Saints last year  :angryfire: