News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you were an owner or GM, would you hire any of our coaches?

Started by MightyGiants, November 05, 2022, 07:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Would you consider hiring Wink Martindale or Mike Kafka as your head coach this off-season? 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 05, 2022, 07:14:02 AMWould you consider hiring Wink Martindale or Mike Kafka as your head coach this off-season? 

I would consider Wink, because he clearly has a lot of experience and from what I have observed, he seems to possess the leadership skills to run a team. He also seems loved by the players. My one worry with Wink is that he may be a little bit old school, which could be a problem in terms of assembling an offensive staff.

I would not consider Kafka. One year as an offensive coordinator (with a significant amount of hand holding from the head coach) is not enough experience in my opinion.

madbadger

I don't think Martindale will ever be a head coach. I don't think he interviews well. He's had several including with the Giants but he never makes the short list for any of those jobs. Kafka is still a couple years out but he isn't long for NY.

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on November 05, 2022, 09:52:59 AMI don't think Martindale will ever be a head coach. I don't think he interviews well. He's had several including with the Giants but he never makes the short list for any of those jobs. Kafka is still a couple years out but he isn't long for NY.

Some owners and GMs liken Wink to Buddy/Rex Ryan, which Mike Lombardi says is a misconception
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

The guy to watch maybe not this upcoming off season but in future off seasons is Brandon Brown getting a shot at becoming a GM with another franchise.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 05, 2022, 10:44:51 AMThe guy to watch maybe not this upcoming off season but in future off seasons is Brandon Brown getting a shot at becoming a GM with another franchise.

Agreed on Brown. He is likely to be gone within 3 years.

Having guys at constant risk of being poached in my opinion is a good thing not a bad thing. It's a clear sign that you're getting it right as a franchise. The Giants are not used to this in recent seasons, because they have had people like Kevin Abrams, Mike Shula, James Bettcher, and Jason Garrett in big time roles, but now that they're finally putting legitimately strong candidates in these roles, they are obviously much more vulnerable to losing them.

With this in mind, it's clearly important to always be thinking about succession and the grooming of less senior people in the system. If Kafka were to leave in this offseason (which he won't but just hypothetically), maybe Shea Tierney would get the promotion. Otherwise, by being a more serious, better organization, the Giants are going to have an easier time hiring in-demand guys from other teams than they used to. All of this is very positive. You just need to be on top of it, which I have no doubt Daboll and Schoen are.

Jclayton92

If someone hires Brown as a GM we get 2 3rd round picks, so yes please.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 05, 2022, 11:18:39 AMIf someone hires Brown as a GM we get 2 3rd round picks, so yes please.
Agreed!

Though idk if he gets hired away after 1 year with the Giants but crazier things have happened.

Those picks would be for the 2024 season though I believe.  Which is still awesome as you potential have

2022 - 11 picks
2023 - 9 picks
2024 - 9 picks

29 of the 53 man roster could be your draft classes under JS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jclayton92

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 05, 2022, 01:35:54 PMAgreed!

Though idk if he gets hired away after 1 year with the Giants but crazier things have happened.

Those picks would be for the 2024 season though I believe.  Which is still awesome as you potential have

2022 - 11 picks
2023 - 9 picks
2024 - 9 picks

29 of the 53 man roster could be your draft classes under JS

With minority GM/HC hires they give you a 3rd a year for 2 years instead of both in 1 season to keep comp picks down.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 05, 2022, 01:49:54 PMWith minority GM/HC hires they give you a 3rd a year for 2 years instead of both in 1 season to keep comp picks down.
So would that be 2023 and 24 or 24 and 25

Jclayton92

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 05, 2022, 01:58:41 PMSo would that be 2023 and 24 or 24 and 25

say he got hired somewhere at the end of the season we would see them in 2024 and 2025.

Kc got 2 thirds for Poles, one of which they gave to us for Toney.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 05, 2022, 02:06:10 PMsay he got hired somewhere at the end of the season we would see them in 2024 and 2025.

Kc got 2 thirds for Poles, one of which they gave to us for Toney.
Then that would be.....

Picks in JS first 3 years.

Same total just speed out differently.

Not a bad haul if he hits on them

Thin Blue Line

Kafka is still 2-3 years away from serious consideration as a head coach IMO.  As for Wink, he has done a masterful job with the defense this year but turns 60 before next season.  After nearly a decade with Baltimore as the Linebackers coach and DC respectively, I don't understand why people think he will suddenly garner serious consideration around the league.  Well, at least that's my hope that he will be DC for the Giants for the remainder of his career.

AZGiantFan

Back to the question.

No.

Kafka has one year as an OC and is too green.  And Wink has never been a head coach at any level and the NFL is not the place to make your head coaching bones, especially for a 60-year old.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll