News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Brian Daboll isn’t certain Giants can win outside their run-happy comfort zone

Started by Ed Vette, November 14, 2022, 10:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"Can Jones throw the Giants to success? The Seahawks limited Barkley to 53 yards and Jones was sacked five times as he threw 31 times in a 27-13 loss. There will come a time when Jones is asked to do more than he did to beat the Texans — throwing it 17 times in the NFL today is not the norm. The formula, thus far, is working."....

https://nypost.com/2022/11/14/brian-daboll-not-certain-giants-can-win-outside-run-happy-comfort-zone/amp/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Blue Fire

Clearly, Daboll likes his offensive line better as run-blockers than pass protectors. It is also apparent he sees one legitimate weapon with the ball in his hands — Barkley — and not a single game-breaking wide receiver. The closest to that is Darius Slayton, who Daboll all-but glued to the bench earlier in the season. Slayton kept at it and is now the main target — if the Giants have such a thing.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Painter

A lot of that reflects the writer's inferences but they are not at odds with what Daboll seems to be thinking at this point, and reasonably so.

Cheers!

Trench

Quote from: Blue Fire on November 14, 2022, 10:37:02 PMClearly, Daboll likes his offensive line better as run-blockers than pass protectors. It is also apparent he sees one legitimate weapon with the ball in his hands — Barkley — and not a single game-breaking wide receiver. The closest to that is Darius Slayton, who Daboll all-but glued to the bench earlier in the season. Slayton kept at it and is now the main target — if the Giants have such a thing.

And to think beginning of the year everyone said run blocking was the issue

sxdxca38

In that Seattle game the Giants were down 7 points with 6 minutes left on the clock. They were getting the ball back with an opportunity to tie it or possibly take the lead, when James fumbled the punt return, and he did that not once but twice in that game, and that my friend was the ball game.

kartanoman

Quote from: sxdxca38 on November 15, 2022, 12:21:06 AMIn that Seattle game the Giants were down 7 points with 6 minutes left on the clock. They were getting the ball back with an opportunity to tie it or possibly take the lead, when James fumbled the punt return, and he did that not once but twice in that game, and that my friend was the ball game.

This is the salient point that cannot be simply dismissed. The Giants, even in their two losses, were very much in both of those games despite the fact they may have been outplayed. Turnovers most certainly sealed their fate but, without them, they had opportunities to tie or go ahead.

The concerns in the article are valid. But Daboll and his coaches have put their team in the best possible position to compete. In the end, that will take them deep into a playoff run but may not ensure they can beat the best teams. You know what? That's fine with me. You really couldn't ask for anything more than what they've accomplished to date. Hopefully they can get healthier and make the best possible run they are capable of.

I would much rather engage in these type of discussions versus the topics we exchanged ideas on roughly one year ago at this time.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Rambo89

Quote from: kartanoman on November 15, 2022, 06:26:11 AMThis is the salient point that cannot be simply dismissed. The Giants, even in their two losses, were very much in both of those games despite the fact they may have been outplayed. Turnovers most certainly sealed their fate but, without them, they had opportunities to tie or go ahead.

The concerns in the article are valid. But Daboll and his coaches have put their team in the best possible position to compete. In the end, that will take them deep into a playoff run but may not ensure they can beat the best teams. You know what? That's fine with me. You really couldn't ask for anything more than what they've accomplished to date. Hopefully they can get healthier and make the best possible run they are capable of.

I would much rather engage in these type of discussions versus the topics we exchanged ideas on roughly one year ago at this time.

Peace!

Going into the season my expectation was 5-7 wins but the difference was unlike last season I expected the Giants to be competitive and not be embarrassed in their losses.  Daboll has the Giants at 7 wins 9 games in and they weren't embarrassed in either loss.  You couldn't ask for more from him and this team in Year 1 of the Schoen regime.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

It wasn't the theme of the article but...

They've gotten healthier and by December should have most hands on deck. It's how you peak in December and January that determines your post season fate. Peart is back and Rosarius Williams just came back. Gates has a couple of weeks in. Neal should be back soon.

Many young players have gotten a lot of playing time and have gotten better each week.

Slayton and Ximinez have reinvented themselves.

Jones has found his zone and has expertly executed his role.

Teams with a strong run game have taken the league by surprise.

The style of the Offense and the Defense have complimented each other. The Offense has dominated time of possession, resting the Defense and the Defense has stopped drives giving the Offense another series or two.

The Offensive Line has gotten better each week and now has the best depth it's had in over ten years.

The rapport between the HC and his staff and the players is the closest since Coughlin's days. The players are all in.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I am not sure Paul Schwartz accurately depicted the Q and A with Daboll, that is the title of his article.  I went to the transcript of the presser and found the original exchange

QuoteQ: You think there will be a time this year when you will need to throw it to win – 35, 40 times? You really haven't had to this year. Do you think you will, and is this offense built to do that if need be?

A: I don't know. You practice that each week. You're ready, and you try to be as ready as you can in every situation. I think you just take each game as they come, and coach and play the way you need to play for that week.

Two distinct questions were asked.  The first one (asked twice) is, "do you think there will be a need to throw it 35-40 times to win?".  The second question was, "is this offense built to do that?".

So I am not sure which question Daboll was answering when he said "I don't know". 

Still, I think the article has value.  I think Daboll did a great job describing the difference between calling plays as a coordinator and as a head coach.  This is something I have heard Mike Lombardi talk about quite a bit this season (on his podcast)

QuoteWhen I'm looking at it, I'm looking at it holistically in terms of the kicking game, defense and offense and just how I think we need to play the game to win. As a coordinator, it's a little bit different. When I was a (offensive) coordinator, you want to obviously score as many points as you can, you're not really focused on the other areas of the team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

I think Jones is a fine QB doing just what we are asking him to do now

I think he needs to work on the long balls where you need to put some air under them

Jones is an excellent line drive passer but he struggles on downfield passes

He needs to work on that, and I don't know if it's just a god given talent or something you can develop at this stage

Any thoughts?    Has any NFL QB ever developed this skill over time?

Answering my own question, I was extremely impressed with Geno Smiths touch passing
I don't think he displayed that heretofore.   Maybe Jones can give Geno a ring after the season is over
How'd you do that Geno?
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 15, 2022, 07:48:52 AMGoing into the season my expectation was 5-7 wins but the difference was unlike last season I expected the Giants to be competitive and not be embarrassed in their losses.  Daboll has the Giants at 7 wins 9 games in and they weren't embarrassed in either loss.  You couldn't ask for more from him and this team in Year 1 of the Schoen regime.
Agreed and the Dallas game was just a few missed opportunities away from maybe winning it.  Which hurts! But that is football!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 15, 2022, 10:20:07 AMI think Jones is a fine QB doing just what we are asking him to do now

I think he needs to work on the long balls where you need to put some air under them

He needs to work on that, and I don't know if it's just a god given talent or something you can develop at this stage

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1552458210568814594
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 15, 2022, 10:20:07 AMI think Jones is a fine QB doing just what we are asking him to do now

Answering my own question, I was extremely impressed with Geno Smiths touch passing
I don't think he displayed the heretofore.   Maybe Jone scan give Geno a ring after the season is over
How'd you do that Geno?
He has the arm and he's been very accurate in passes 20+ yards. He's apparently either been coached to take the safe yards or he's not looking at the high routes. What I don't see are designed go and post routes. Slayton hasn't been reliable in hauling those in after his rookie season and I don't know what other receiver has the speed to gain separation since John Ross. They don't have a Mario Manningham. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giant Jim

They were winning almost the whole game, running was the right thing to do. They were just running out the clock in the 4th quarter.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 15, 2022, 10:37:00 AMHe has the arm and he's been very accurate in passes 20+ yards. He's apparently either been coached to take the safe yards or he's not looking at the high routes. What I don't see are designed go and post routes. Slayton hasn't been reliable in hauling those in after his rookie season and I don't know what other receiver has the speed to gain separation since John Ross. They don't have a Mario Manningham. 
Your right the last one I believe I saw was when they put Tyrod in, in Chicago and it went through Slaytons hands into the corners hands. We are last in the NFL currently in big plays which is 25 yards or more but do you think that is just a function of the offense going forward? Where teams look for those splash plays I'm not sure we do and are comfortable just methodically driving down the field running the ball every time. The problem with that though is it gets us extremely predictable inside the 20 and even 10. Since the coaching staff doesn't seem to want those splash plays necessarily because we don't really throw it then the real issue with the offense is currently is redzone and stalled drives. We last or 2nd to last in most metrics in the red zone including QB rating in the 10 and 20. Does not passing it or having those splash plays lead to our problems In the redzone and stalled drives? I think they do but Daboll and Kafka feel comfortable in what is being run currently to win.