News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is Daniel Jones The Giants QB in 2023

Started by Ed Vette, November 28, 2022, 11:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

This is a pretty balanced Podcast exploring some key points and clues that Joe Schoen has put out. For example, Schoen told Barkley they wanted him back and they went through contract negotiations on that bye week. They didn't with Jones and he said they have the rest of the games to evaluate him. He clearly has reservations.

Worth a watch or to scan the transcript.

https://youtu.be/NHcs-aeANB0

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Completely agree with everything he said and went through makes all sense.  That was an interesting story about when he scouted Josh Allen in person giving him the grade he did despite Allen throwing 4 INT's in that game.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

zephirus

Yeah - he's hitting the nail on the head and had great examples around the league that the level of success Jones is having this year (or the Giants as a team depending upon how you look at it) is no precursor to an extension.  Barring some overnight transformation and a run deep into the playoffs, we'll probably end the season with Jones' status for next year unknown. 

MightyGiants

This Mike fellow did what he said he was going to do, lay out the case why Jones won't be back next year.   I  like to listen to both sides of the argument, and I think the case made by Mike was a compelling one. 

While his case against Jones is compelling, I don't think it's moving me off of my current 50/50 position on Jones' return next season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

I do not think he will be back.

He does what he is asked to do pretty well, but he isn't asked to do much. We are winning games with him, but not because of him. They play the offense very safe to minimize his flaws and weaknesses, and overall I do not feel like he impacts the game to the level a franchise QB does. He may be efficient, but he just does not have the ability to change a game or impact a game too much. Love the guy, he works hard, is tough as nails and a great locker room guy. I just don't think it is in the best interest of the team to sign long term as their franchise.

I am ok keeping him as a bridge, but I do not forsee him agreeing to such a situation.

Maybe JS and Dabs see it differently and I am wrong, if so and it pans out I will more than happily be wrong

Jolly Blue Giant

They'll pick up the fifth-year option for Jones in 2023. They might draft a QB, but they will want to bring him along gently and not just throw him in the fire. That's assuming the brass has their eyes on a QB in the draft that will be able to be gotten. My bet is that Jones will be around longer than some fans want him around
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

True Blue

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 28, 2022, 01:51:55 PMThey'll pick up the fifth-year option for Jones in 2023. They might draft a QB, but they will want to bring him along gently and not just throw him in the fire. That's assuming the brass has their eyes on a QB in the draft that will be able to be gotten. My bet is that Jones will be around longer than some fans want him around

The deadline to exercise the 5th year option passed this past offseason

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 28, 2022, 01:51:55 PMThey'll pick up the fifth-year option for Jones in 2023. They might draft a QB, but they will want to bring him along gently and not just throw him in the fire. That's assuming the brass has their eyes on a QB in the draft that will be able to be gotten. My bet is that Jones will be around longer than some fans want him around
I think you mean Tag him. That's a pretty high amount of $$$. That's 31.5MM and the Transition Tag is 28.1mm. See the Spotrac estimate on his Market Value.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

I think Mike was on the fence about what Schoen will do. I do think they would love to keep him and if they can sign him to the Spotrac estimated Market value contract for 3 years they may consider him as a transitional. Tyrod had one year left and if they want to build around Jones while keeping their options open to a high transitional salary it's one option.

Of course he could have a monster 6 games and he writes his own ticket. Anything is possible.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

How does anyone disagree with that? 

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 28, 2022, 02:11:00 PMI think Mike was on the fence about what Schoen will do. I do think they would love to keep him and if they can sign him to the Spotrac estimated Market value contract for 3 years they may consider him as a transitional. Tyrod had one year left and if they want to build around Jones while keeping their options open to a high transitional salary it's one option.

Of course he could have a monster 6 games and he writes his own ticket. Anything is possible.

I think it's still unknown exactly what Schoen and the new regime will do.  What we do know to this point is that the Giants haven't decided that they will keep Daniel Jones.  Despite others belief weeks ago that the Giants were working on the extension behind the scenes that was proven to be completely wrong.  But we also don't know as to whether they are waiting to see how Jones finishes the season before deciding that they aren't going to keep Daniel Jones.

brownelvis54

IMO it comes down to money....but...we need so many more positions addressed before thinking of upgrading at QB. Hopefully we can an agreement can be reached
The KING is in the building

todge

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 28, 2022, 03:24:42 PMI think it's still unknown exactly what Schoen and the new regime will do.  What we do know to this point is that the Giants haven't decided that they will keep Daniel Jones.  Despite others belief weeks ago that the Giants were working on the extension behind the scenes that was proven to be completely wrong.  But we also don't know as to whether they are waiting to see how Jones finishes the season before deciding that they aren't going to keep Daniel Jones.
It was not a belief that the Giants were working on an extension behind the scenes.

In his press conference - Daboll said they were "looking for ways" to extend Barkley and DJ. Stick with the facts please and stop stretching things to point out others are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambo89

Quote from: todge on November 28, 2022, 11:47:36 PMIt was not a belief that the Giants were working on an extension behind the scenes.

In his press conference - Daboll said they were "looking for ways" to extend Barkley and DJ. Stick with the facts please and stop stretching things to point out others are wrong.

You keep making this claim yet have not provided proof that it was said.  Since it was you who made this claim you should be the one to find the quote and press conference where it was said.

T200

Quote from: todge on November 28, 2022, 11:47:36 PMIt was not a belief that the Giants were working on an extension behind the scenes.

Not trying to be dense, but what's the difference in "looking for ways to extend" and "working on an extension"?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: