News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Did anyone else question the play calling of this game?

Started by Ed Vette, December 04, 2022, 05:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

I don't even want to post a laundry list because it would be too long. The one killer was the series where they threw two back to back deep passes late in the 4th. Playing to overtime and playing for a tie.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 04, 2022, 05:51:21 PMI don't even want to post a laundry list because it would be too long. The one killer was the series where they threw two back to back deep passes late in the 4th. Playing to overtime and playing for a tie.
It's plays like this that really make me question Kafka!

I understood the bad throw to Slay (first one)  Slay had people beat, he hits him right and there could be YAC there to gain rather then making it a jump ball for no reason!

Then the wheels come off!

How do you make no deep plays or play action most of the game and call the plays you call and then be that aggressive at that point

I hated the play calling today and have for a number of games now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 04, 2022, 05:51:21 PMI don't even want to post a laundry list because it would be too long. The one killer was the series where they threw two back to back deep passes late in the 4th. Playing to overtime and playing for a tie.
I hated them as well but I hate every pass being short like after the holding penalty on bellinger we throw 2 different 3 yard passes at 2nd and 16 and 3rd and 16. I don't know if that's the playcalling is because of the QB or the personnel but either way its not good. No one thought we'd be playing December games that matter, so since we are why not go all out and put everything on the table. Can't put it on the defense to bail them out after every single 3 and out.

AZGiantFan

Yup.  I just called that out in Rich's thread on "Things that could have won the game".  It is reminiscent of the 2007 SB when Brady threw long passes when he had plenty of time to work the ball into FG range after the Giants took the lead.

Is it time for Daboll to take over the play calling?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

I wasn't thrilled with the back to back long passes.  After the first pass was dropped, you need to play for the first down, before eying a FG drive.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 04, 2022, 06:33:06 PMI wasn't thrilled with the back to back long passes.  After the first pass was dropped, you need to play for the first down, before eying a FG drive.

Situational football.   /sarcasm/
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AYM

I thought Joe Judge and Jason Garrett called their usual game and Patrick Graham's defense did well holding Washington to 20 points, though they gave up that huge 4th down along with some other backbreaking plays.

... oh wait.

... I think.

Rambo89

You can always pick a play call that you don't like in a spot here and there.  But that's not the reason the Giants tied today.  Every year we seem to go through this with going after the play callers when we've gone through numerous coordinators.  It's not the play callers that's the issue.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

uconnjack8

sxdxca38

The only real issue I had with regards to the play calling was the two long passes that Mighty referenced, other than that I was okay with it.

There are far bigger underlying issues with regards to the offense then what plays are called

Rosehill Jimmy

Watch games throughout the league and you see receivers making big time catches all the time. Instead of dissing the play calling, how about Slayton making the f'ing catch!  His rep while at Auburn was bad hands and he has done little in 4 years to disprove it.  2nd highest drop rate in league
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on December 04, 2022, 08:44:47 PMWatch games throughout the league and you see receivers making big time catches all the time. Instead of dissing the play calling, how about Slayton making the f'ing catch!  His rep while at Auburn was bad hands and he has done little in 4 years to disprove it.  2nd highest drop rate in league

Is it all on him or can we question who's throwing the ball to him?

Rosehill Jimmy

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"