News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Special Teams Flying Under the Radar

Started by Ed Vette, December 12, 2022, 02:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

The 29th worst team in the league season to date. Field position for the Eagles was a Giant Killer.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

The Eagles are worse yet they have the talent to overcome it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

CVA14

Rambo89

They've had some bad games this season and yesterday was one of them.  Definitely shows the Giants lack of roster depth which will take Schoen years to fix.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

B1GBLUE

was brutal yesterday. they were starting every drive at like the 40. yet we cant return it past the 25.

BluesCruz

Giants need a new ST coach and better Strength and conditioning coaches

Parcells brought in a guy, forget his name, who studied conditioning in the soviet union
after that our injury list went wayyyyyy down

Tiki trained privately with a guy in a hawthorne store front....guy had him squating 1000 pounds
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

TDToomer

Quote from: B1GBLUE on December 12, 2022, 02:50:09 PMwas brutal yesterday. they were starting every drive at like the 40. yet we cant return it past the 25.

The Eagles have always made it a priority at having an excellent return game and had no problem letting key contributers like Brian Westbrook or DeSean Jackson take punt returns. Meanwhile the Giants are holding mid-season auditions to see who can do the best job waving his hand in their air to avoid getting creamed.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 12, 2022, 02:59:44 PMGiants need a new ST coach and better Strength and conditioning coaches

Parcells brought in a guy, forget his name, who studied conditioning in the soviet union
after that our injury list went wayyyyyy down

Tiki trained privately with a guy in a hawthorne store front....guy had him squating 1000 pounds

He also trained Ivan Drago.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Injuries probably impact the ST the most; when your starters get hurt, the backup replace them.  However, that creates a void where your special team roles are held by practice squad and/or street free agents.  Plus, unlike the past, the Giants really don't have an 'ace' special teamer like David Tyree to bring the unit together.

umassgrad

I miss Phil McConkey fielding punts. Nothing fancy, just got up the field and never fumbled.

kingm56

Quote from: umassgrad on December 12, 2022, 05:15:16 PMI miss Phil McConkey fielding punts. Nothing fancy, just got up the field and never fumbled.

He followed the Bill Parcels philosophy: 'cut it up in there, or I'll find someone who will.' 

AZGiantFan

Quote from: umassgrad on December 12, 2022, 05:15:16 PMI miss Phil McConkey fielding punts. Nothing fancy, just got up the field and never fumbled.

Similarly with RW McQuarters.  Coughlin always preached ball security on punt returners.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

LennG

Even when we were winning, our STs have been a mess. Gosh, we almost blew a blocked punt and almost turned it into a 1st down for the Eagles. NOw THAT would have really been embarrassing. (not like several other things weren't)
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss