News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Dallas signs vet WR TY Hilton

Started by LennG, December 12, 2022, 06:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

So no OBJ yet Dallas signs a veteran WR TY Hilton.

I understand he is sort of over the hill, but if he were out of football for a year or two and decided to come back, he would instantly be better than every WR on the Giants right now. I'm sure he would be cheap for a one year deal, so why couldn't the Giants do something like this?
Sorry but anyone out there has to be better than what we have now.   
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Why sign him? To play Patty Cake with Golladay 15 yards downfield. The Giants don't throw that deep. It's not in Kafka's playbook.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Guess Jerrah didn't want someone who might be ready for the playoffs

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 12, 2022, 06:51:11 PMWhy sign him? To play Patty Cake with Golladay 15 yards downfield. The Giants don't throw that deep. It's not in Kafka's playbook.

All we hear is not one WR can get open and that's the reason why we don't throw the ball down the field. Maybe if we got some one who could, we could better evaluate Jones.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on December 12, 2022, 08:56:28 PMAll we hear is not one WR can get open and that's the reason why we don't throw the ball down the field. Maybe if we got some one who could, we could better evaluate Jones.
I know, I'm kidding
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: LennG on December 12, 2022, 08:56:28 PMAll we hear is not one WR can get open and that's the reason why we don't throw the ball down the field. Maybe if we got some one who could, we could better evaluate Jones.
I doubt Schoen is being kept up at night because the BBH faithful aren't happy with his stable of receivers not propping up Jones to make him look better.  :suspious:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

TDToomer

Quote from: T200 on December 12, 2022, 09:15:23 PMI doubt Schoen is being kept up at night because the BBH faithful aren't happy with his stable of receivers not propping up Jones to make him look better.  :suspious:

I am pretty sure that Schoen isn't happy with the receivers he has under his belt.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

T200

Quote from: TDToomer on December 13, 2022, 09:02:00 AMI am pretty sure that Schoen isn't happy with the receivers he has under his belt.
I agree. But he's not chomping at the bit to make a move just to make one because the Giants got off to a very fortunate and unexpected good start. He's playing the long game to build a perennial contender, not a one-and-done flash in the pan.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Leek21

Well, I wasn't too happy when Schoen traded Toney.... but so far Toney has done very little with the Chiefs.
Golladay is not Schoen's fault, he didn't sign him to the big contract and it's not his fault Golladay is not performing.  Can't justly criticism him for not signing OBJ back due to the injury concerns, as for Hilton... I can't be too hard on Schoen for that either.

All that said, I do agree Giants have arguably the worst WR set in the league.

Slugsy-Narrows

Interesting.

I advocated for signing Hilton a while back.

Wonder what if anything he does in Dallas.

Not that it means he could do it in Blue.

Kafka doesn't call many passes beyond 10 yards.

Trench

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 13, 2022, 09:51:06 AMInteresting.

I advocated for signing Hilton a while back.

Wonder what if anything he does in Dallas.

Not that it means he could do it in Blue.

Kafka doesn't call many passes beyond 10 yards.

This is the million dollar question (perhaps an esteemed beat reporter that frequents this site) can ask Daboll the following question:

On average, how many times a game does Kafka call a passing play more than 10 yards?

uconnjack8

Quote from: Trench on December 13, 2022, 11:40:38 AMThis is the million dollar question (perhaps an esteemed beat reporter that frequents this site) can ask Daboll the following question:

On average, how many times a game does Kafka call a passing play more than 10 yards?

Really I think the question is why he isn't calling them.  I doubt he is against the idea in philosophy, his previous coaching mentors certainly are not.  So why isn't he calling more long plays?

Trench

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 13, 2022, 11:45:00 AMReally I think the question is why he isn't calling them.  I doubt he is against the idea in philosophy, his previous coaching mentors certainly are not.  So why isn't he calling more long plays?

What if perhaps he IS calling them but the QB continues to check down?

uconnjack8