News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

ALL DANIEL JONES POSTS AND DISCUSSIONS HERE

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2022, 03:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Eli would raise his hands and do a small fist pump on hugely important TDs, like the one to Jake Ballard late in the 4th quarter in the regular season game in NE in 2011. He was not a big celebrator on routine TDs, which he obviously had tons of.

The past Giants QB who has a huge celebrator on TDs was Simms, not Eli. Simms went berserk on most of his TD throws (see below):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxdyiMUXzlo&t=1s

Rambo89

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on December 31, 2022, 10:09:42 AMI've said they should roll with Tyrod next year

I personally think this is the better move because:

1. $5.5M vs $30M

2. Gives them a chance to build out the roster some more, upgrades, depth, etc between FA, Draft and UDFA. Tyrod would not be playing with this roster, but an upgraded one, with returning pieces having a year in the system, along with a new turf and players coming back from IR

I think Tyrod w/ an upgraded roster will be a more functional and better offense than DJ with this years crop. If I can upgrade without paying $30M, I will. Then in 2024 draft your guy, another FA and draft to add more too. Unless they draft one this year.

Aside from "their guy" I would also try to pickup another QB in the middle or late rounds that has size and physical tools that translate to the NFL w/ coaching, just as Redskins did with RG3 and Cousins that year, never hurts to take another swing at the bat.

If there isn't a QB they love in the draft I would let Jones walk and sign someone like Minshew or Brissett for a fraction of the cost rather than just go with Taylor who I think at this point in his career is a solid back up but not someone I would start if I wanted to be competitive in 2023.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 31, 2022, 10:36:59 AMEli would raise his hands and do a small fist pump on hugely important TDs, like the one to Jake Ballard late in the 4th quarter in the regular season game in NE in 2011. He was not a big celebrator on routine TDs, which he obviously had tons of.

The past Giants QB who has a huge celebrator on TDs was Simms, not Eli. Simms went berserk on most of his TD throws (see below):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxdyiMUXzlo&t=1s

Simms is still my favorite Giants QB of all time. He had a heck of an arm and his offense was underrated due to all the attention the defense got. None of the wide receivers who caught to those long bombs got invited to a single pro bowl. He had every right to pump his fists.

Funny, I was just watching the 49-3 blowout against the 49ers in the 86 playoffs and Montana's thing was the to make a V for victory after touchdowns and at the end of the game. I rolled off my sofa when he made his V and then Jerry Rice coughed up the ball on the way to the endzone while being completely untouched.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Trench

Quote from: TDToomer on December 31, 2022, 11:20:13 AMSimms is still my favorite Giants QB of all time. He had a heck of an arm and his offense was underrated due to all the attention the defense got. None of the wide receivers who caught to those long bombs got invited to a single pro bowl. He had every right to pump his fists.

Funny, I was just watching the 49-3 blowout against the 49ers in the 86 playoffs and Montana's thing was the to make a V for victory after touchdowns and at the end of the game. I rolled off my sofa when he made his V and then Jerry Rice coughed up the ball on the way to the endzone while being completely untouched.

What a great memory that game is

Jclayton92

Quote from: TrueBlueFan on December 31, 2022, 10:09:42 AMI've said they should roll with Tyrod next year

I personally think this is the better move because:

1. $5.5M vs $30M

2. Gives them a chance to build out the roster some more, upgrades, depth, etc between FA, Draft and UDFA. Tyrod would not be playing with this roster, but an upgraded one, with returning pieces having a year in the system, along with a new turf and players coming back from IR

I think Tyrod w/ an upgraded roster will be a more functional and better offense than DJ with this years crop. If I can upgrade without paying $30M, I will. Then in 2024 draft your guy, another FA and draft to add more too. Unless they draft one this year.

Aside from "their guy" I would also try to pickup another QB in the middle or late rounds that has size and physical tools that translate to the NFL w/ coaching, just as Redskins did with RG3 and Cousins that year, never hurts to take another swing at the bat.

It doesn't even have to be Tyrod but Tyrod plus a minshew or Brisset competing. I'd do everything with my draft picks this year to get more draft picks in 2024. 2024 besides that draft having a ton of Qbs will also be the Free agency where a ton of WRs will be available. So I think stock and load for 2024.

nb587

Quote from: TDToomer on December 31, 2022, 11:20:13 AMSimms is still my favorite Giants QB of all time. He had a heck of an arm and his offense was underrated due to all the attention the defense got. None of the wide receivers who caught to those long bombs got invited to a single pro bowl. He had every right to pump his fists.

Always wondered how different things would have been, if at all, if Bill Walsh had drafted Simms for the 49ers and the Giants drafted with Parcells.  I think Simmms would have been a great QB with the 49er offense and skill people.  Would have been interesting to see Montana as a game manager if that's what Parcells wanted him to be.

TDToomer

Quote from: nb587 on December 31, 2022, 01:44:18 PMAlways wondered how different things would have been, if at all, if Bill Walsh had drafted Simms for the 49ers and the Giants drafted with Parcells.  I think Simmms would have been a great QB with the 49er offense and skill people.  Would have been interesting to see Montana as a game manager if that's what Parcells wanted him to be.

Parcells wasn't with the Giants for the 79 draft. Even if he was George Young had final say.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I'm comfortable calling this Daniel Jones' best game ever as a pro. I know there are a few other games (the Saints game last year, the Skins game his rookie year) that are up for debate, but those were early regular season games when the stakes were pretty low. I thought he played a terrific game today in a huge spot. He threw the ball well for the most part with a very respectable YPA, he had zero turnovers, and he ran like a beast. Great stuff. Might have upped the AAV of his next deal by a few million or so today.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Fletch

What is with Tyrod Taylor hate? This guy loses his starter job to Herbert—no shame in that — he plays like 7 snaps here and people want to like put him out to pasture.

Can we see this guy play some meaningful games first? He's on contract and one of the highest paid backups in the league.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 01, 2023, 04:22:31 PMI'm comfortable calling this Daniel Jones' best game ever as a pro. I know there are a few other games (the Saints game last year, the Skins game his rookie year) that are up for debate, but those were early regular season games when the stakes were pretty low. I thought he played a terrific game today in a huge spot. He threw the ball well for the most part with a very respectable YPA, he had zero turnovers, and he ran like a beast. Great stuff. Might have upped the AAV of his next deal by a few million or so today.

I disagree with the Saints game. He played well for 8 mins of the 4th and was excellent for OT.

Tonight, he was excellent for a complete game. Couple of early dodgy throws but a minor quibble.

I was really impressed with him tonight. And massively happy for him.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on January 01, 2023, 04:34:22 PMI disagree with the Saints game. He played well for 8 mins of the 4th and was excellent for OT.

Tonight, he was excellent for a complete game. Couple of early dodgy throws but a minor quibble.

I was really impressed with him tonight. And massively happy for him.

Saints were a very good defense last year and a decent team overall, plus the Giants were playing in the Superdome. The Colts are awful and Jones had this performance at home. I feel better about this win (though mostly because of the playoff implications), but honestly could go either way.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on January 01, 2023, 04:39:57 PMSaints were a very good defense last year and a decent team overall, plus the Giants were playing in the Superdome. The Colts are awful and Jones had this performance at home. I feel better about this win (though mostly because of the playoff implications), but honestly could go either way.

That was my thinking as well. Ed is correct that the Saints game wasn't four quarters of perfection, but one way or the other he did end up with over 400 passing yards in that game (177 today), he had a superb 10.1 YPA, and that was a game the Giants were expected to lose. It was in a hostile environment against a good defense. The stakes were higher today obviously, but they were 0-2 going into that game and were desperate for a win. Today was a game nobody expected the Giants to lose.

Again I am comfortable calling today Jones' best game, but I do think the Saints game last year is in the conversation. The Washington game his rookie year has to get consideration too, but that was a bit like today - home game against an awful team that kind of rolled over. The stakes were much lower in that game too.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE