News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Colts bench Ryan for Foles

Started by MightyGiants, December 21, 2022, 12:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

A mercy benching.  Ryan has been sacked 38 times in 12 games. 

AP44

This sucks for us. Ryan is beyond cooked. He actually might have been the worst starting QB in the league this year. KT would have feasted on him. Foles isnt great shakes, but this improves their team.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: AP44 on December 21, 2022, 02:01:16 PMThis sucks for us. Ryan is beyond cooked. He actually might have been the worst starting QB in the league this year. KT would have feasted on him. Foles isnt great shakes, but this improves their team.

Does Foles really have anything left in the tank?  That Indy OLINE isn't great!  If he doesn't have life left in those legs Ryan may be playing again before you know it

kingm56

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 21, 2022, 02:33:00 PMDoes Foles really have anything left in the tank?  That Indy OLINE isn't great!  If he doesn't have life left in those legs Ryan may be playing again before you know it

The Colts, like us, are reliant on their AP RB to generate offense. If Taylor's not playing, it doesn't matter who plays QB.

DaveBrown74

I agree that Foles is probably better than the current version of Matt Ryan, but he is still very much a backup caliber QB. Tack on the fact that the best offensive player on the team seems to be out, and there is really no reason why we should have tons of trouble with this team.

In any event though, I'm focused on Minnesota right now. Not these guys.

VanPelt

So we get the Colts on a short week, with no Taylor or Ryan, at home.
I like those odds.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 21, 2022, 01:58:09 PMA mercy benching.  Ryan has been sacked 38 times in 12 games. 

A mercy benching for Ryan who's been sacked 38 times.  Although interestingly the QB who is not to be named has been sacked 41 times behind a supposedly improved OL (narrator's voice, 'they aren't improved').

And we're told that you can't win a Superbowl without a top elite QB.  But then there is Foles.  And, for that matter, Eli.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 21, 2022, 04:35:43 PMA mercy benching for Ryan who's been sacked 38 times.  Although interestingly the QB who is not to be named has been sacked 41 times behind a supposedly improved OL (narrator's voice, 'they aren't improved').

And we're told that you can't win a Superbowl without a top elite QB.  But then there is Foles.  And, for that matter, Eli.

Who has said that? 

I remember people saying it's more difficult and that you need more around a QB like that so its harder to maintain, but I haven't seen then "can't be done".

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: AP44 on December 21, 2022, 02:01:16 PMThis sucks for us. Ryan is beyond cooked. He actually might have been the worst starting QB in the league this year. KT would have feasted on him. Foles isnt great shakes, but this improves their team.

My thoughts exactly.

Although Ryan put up a boatload on Minnesota, I didn't watch the game but was he really the issue?

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on December 21, 2022, 06:42:16 PMMy thoughts exactly.

Although Ryan put up a boatload on Minnesota, I didn't watch the game but was he really the issue?

Unless he plaid D and allowed them to come back I would say no.

To be fair I didn't see the game

uconnjack8

Colts OL is a mess and Ryan is a sitting duck.  I think Foles better mobility is a factor in this decision. 

DaveBrown74

Ryan looked shot to me last year on the Falcons. They got rid of him for a reason.

The Colts need to stop bringing these ancient, washed up QBs in at the end of their careers like Rivers and Ryan and draft someone or at least go after a younger free agent QB. It's not like they're a QB away from being championship material. I'm not sure what the point is of bringing in these ancient has-been types.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 21, 2022, 07:03:04 PMRyan looked shot to me last year on the Falcons. They got rid of him for a reason.

The Colts need to stop bringing these ancient, washed up QBs in at the end of their careers like Rivers and Ryan and draft someone or at least go after a younger free agent QB. It's not like they're a QB away from being championship material. I'm not sure what the point is of bringing in these ancient has-been types.

I felt like they were close when they started that pattern but its eroded since.