News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NY-NJ Weather Saturday

Started by Ed Vette, December 22, 2022, 08:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

@bighitterdalama
@MightyGiants

Remember the last game of the 2018 Season? We froze our asses off.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

That was the coldest I have ever been in my life.  There is a thread on the Front Porch that talks about "what you can never have enough of," and for me, that's cold weather gear.   Yet we spent from 9 in the morning to after 4 in the afternoon outside in temps in the single digits to low teens (with win chills below zero). 

It didn't matter how many layers (or how good those layers were) you had on; that long outside, the cold just soaked through the layers. The winds made the fire pit all but useless.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

The night before I bought heavy boots that had a heavy sock lining with thick soles and heals. Couldn't drive with them they were so big. But they kept my feet warm. The only part of my body that wasn't cold. I remember you both had freezing feet that day.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Gonna be a horrible weekend...weather-wise  :boooo:

"The National Weather Service has already begun issuing severe weather alerts for a massive winter storm expected to roll across the country this week and slam Upstate New York just before Christmas.

The 'incredibly powerful storm' could bring 65 mph winds and icy roads.... 'One could certainly describe this storm system as a once in a generation type of event,' said the weather service

The storm starts off mostly as rain Thursday, and then rapidly falling temperatures late Friday could coat streets and trees with a layer of dangerous ice. Driving will be extremely hazardous. High winds are also likely, which could cause power outages...and wind chills could drop to 20 below zero
" Syracuse Post Standard

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

T200

Hey! We were there freezing too!!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bill Brown

Up here in Maine the weatherman is calling for heavy rain and high winds gusting to 65 - 70mph. I don't mind getting rain rather than snow but the winds will cause a lot of power outages. Last weekend we were out of power for 56 hours.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 22, 2022, 08:45:06 AMThe night before I bought heavy boots that had a heavy sock lining with thick soles and heals. Couldn't drive with them they were so big. But they kept my feet warm. The only part of my body that wasn't cold. I remember you both had freezing feet that day.

I regret not wearing my big boots.  I was able to add my squad turnout pants to keep my legs warming, but even with two layers of quality socks and isolated regular boots my feet did get cold
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: ps11yat14 on December 22, 2022, 08:57:33 AMUp here in Maine the weatherman is calling for heavy rain and high winds gusting to 65 - 70mph. I don't mind getting rain rather than snow but the winds will cause a lot of power outages.

Bill

I hate wind more than any weather abnormality. Snow without wind is nice. I love a nice rainy day with no wind...dittos with a sunny clear day. Wind can turn any day into a mess...especially once it gets past the dreaded 30 MPH turning point

The worst weather I ever suffered through at a game was at a Bills' / Cowboys' game in Orchard Park back in the 80's. Started out about 35 degrees with a steady, windy, hard rain that completely soaked my clothes all the way through to my flesh. Then in the first quarter, temperature started to drop fast, the wind picked up even worse, and it started to sleet. By halftime, the wind was awful and getting brutal, snowing hard (not soft snowflakes, but biting, sticking snow) and the temperatures dropped significantly. I froze my ass off and my wife was angry with me for taking her to the game (she was a Bills' fan...still is). By the end of the game, I no longer cared about the game, only getting somewhere warm and thawing out. BTW, the Bills blew out the Boys in that game...the only caveat
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: ps11yat14 on December 22, 2022, 08:57:33 AMUp here in Maine the weatherman is calling for heavy rain and high winds gusting to 65 - 70mph. I don't mind getting rain rather than snow but the winds will cause a lot of power outages. Last weekend we were out of power for 56 hours.

Bill

Good thing you got that generator
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 22, 2022, 09:29:34 AMGood thing you got that generator

It's a good feeling knowing life won't be miserable. The generator gave us all the comforts except water but my son in law is going to set it up so we'll be able to get  that too.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

MightyGiants

Quote from: ps11yat14 on December 22, 2022, 09:35:35 AMIt's a good feeling knowing life won't be miserable. The generator gave us all the comforts except water but my son in law is going to set it up so we'll be able to get  that too.

Bill

I got a new furnace.   I have a gas furnace, and the old one didn't need electricity (some sort of thermal couple-driven micro voltage control.   The new one does.   I bought a switch so I could plug the furnace into my generator, but the way they wired in the new furnace makes it very difficult to wire in the interrupter switch I bought.   Instead of a proper junction box (where I could have easily put the switch), they went right from armored cable to conduit.   I am still trying to figure out what would be the easiest approach.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 22, 2022, 08:33:53 AM@bighitterdalama
@MightyGiants

Remember the last game of the 2018 Season? We froze our asses off.

I remember that game also. I also got cold so I threw another log in the fireplace and all was well after that.   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on December 22, 2022, 12:43:31 PMI remember that game also. I also got cold so I threw another log in the fireplace and all was well after that.   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

ha ha ha

you know it was so cold that day, Ed and I were talking with these women at training camp the next season.  They said they saw women hanging out in the lady's room eating because it was the only warm place they could find.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Seriously though, I LOVE the cold weather.  it can't get cold enough for me. Granted I don't spend all day outside. It's the ice that I hate now.

In my younger days, I was an apprentice carpenter, our crew used to work on some of the really tall hi-rises in Manhatten. Many times we worked on buildings that had no walls so the wind was always fierce. On really cold days, there was just no way you could stay warm, no matter how many clothes you had on. There were days we used to just huddle around a fire in a trash can, and spend most of the day hiding behind pillars to try and avoid the wind.
That was cold.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on December 22, 2022, 12:57:45 PMSeriously though, I LOVE the cold weather.  it can't get cold enough for me. Granted I don't spend all day outside. It's the ice that I hate now.

In my younger days, I was an apprentice carpenter, our crew used to work on some of the really tall hi-rises in Manhatten. Many times we worked on buildings that had no walls so the wind was always fierce. On really cold days, there was just no way you could stay warm, no matter how many clothes you had on. There were days we used to just huddle around a fire in a trash can, and spend most of the day hiding behind pillars to try and avoid the wind.
That was cold.
Did you ever do a DNA test? You might have Native American Blood in you. They used to work on bridges and High Rise because they had no fear of heights.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin