News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I never knew this

Started by LennG, December 22, 2022, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

So what have you learned recently that you never knew before?

Today I learned this

warming up your car before driving in cold weather can damage the engine

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/yes-warming-up-your-car-before-driving-in-cold-weather-can-damage-the-engine/ar-AA15xAnV?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5022ad17a0034490b0a773ce4c220058

"If you're one of the many drivers who thinks it's important to turn on your car and let it sit for a bit before hitting the road in wintry weather, you could be doing your engine more harm than good," Firestone says.
Less oil means more friction, more wear and tear, and a shorter life for your engine," Firestone says.

Instead of waiting for your car to warm up in the winter, most manufacturers recommend driving off gently after about 30 seconds because the engine warms up faster when the car is being driven, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

I'm not completely clueless when it comes to engines but this does not seem correct to me. Specifically, once a car is started, doesn't the engine run (combustion, pistons, oil pump, etc) despite not engaging the transmission?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on December 22, 2022, 01:17:55 PMI'm not completely clueless when it comes to engines but this does not seem correct to me. Specifically, once a car is started, doesn't the engine run (combustion, pistons, oil pump, etc) despite not engaging the transmission?

Tim,

I have a degree in mechanical engineering and even took a class in advanced engine concepts that was taught by a Volvo Engineer (my all-time favorite college class).   

My credentials don't match the guy who was the source of the point raised (the guy has a PHD and works with engines)

However, his point is a valid one.   When engines are cold, they are required to run rich, and that means there is some not vaporized fuel (fuel struggles to vaporize in cold conditions) that, in theory, could get on the cylinder walls and could potentially wash away some oil.

That said, I think it's worth considering:

1)  the damage is to the piston rings and cylinder liners-  these are not parts that you often see fail unless the car is very old with high mileage

2)  the alternative-  while the engine will warm up quicker by gently driving it, the RPMs increase, which means the number of times the cylinder will receive gas at less-than-ideal temperatures doesn't really change, rather it just happens quicker.  Now quicker might reduce the "cleaning" effect of the gas, but I am not so sure

So it is true, you don't need to warm up your car by idling when it's cold.  I would suggest following their suggestion of driving off gently.   On the other hand, if you need to idle it to defrost ice and snow, I would continue to do so because I believe the harm is likely negligible at best.

https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-what-idling-your-car-in-the-morning-is-doing-to-your-engine-and-its-not-good-2016-1
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

That automatic engine cut off now makes sense.

"f you are idle for more than 30 seconds — such as, at a stop light or train tracks — it may make sense to turn off the ignition. You will use less gasoline restarting the car than when idling, which is why manufacturers have installed automatic stop/start technology on a number of vehicles.'

https://www.carfax.com/blog/do-you-need-to-warm-your-car-up
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Thanks to @LennG

I love learning about new things  :greetings:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I admit I did not know that Lenny. As for motorcycles (especially Harleys) we are advised to start the bike and let it run for a minute or two before taking off. Unlike modern car engines, the oil in a bike needs to heat up and get distributed through build up of pressure (I guess). If you take off cold on a Harley, you run the risk of no oil in the cylinders for the first mile or so. But...I could also be wrong. It's what every Harley rider has told me over the years, including their mechanics

BTW, I always let my car run to warm up on cold days. Probably should stop doing that....brrrrrrr  :crazy:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I think most of us do that so we can get into a car that has some warmth in it. Especially those leather seats where, when ice cold, you just slide right off.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

If you lease, it's not an issue. The warranty would cover it and it would take many years for the damage to occur.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 23, 2022, 10:19:45 AMIf you lease, it's not an issue. The warranty would cover it and it would take many years for the damage to occur.

I am 99.99999% certain that any damage (assuming the claims are correct) would not manifest itself during the timeline and mileage of any lease I am aware of. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

Another variable. Our son in Minnesota relies on an engine block heater and a remote starter. I'm guessing that keeping things warmer and the oil more viscous would be better for your engine. Of course he would still need to clean the glass of ice and snow prior to driving off though.

LennG

So let's try another

Ever hear the term "Percussive maintenance"?

It is the act of hitting something until you can get it to work

https://theriver973.iheart.com/featured/glenn/content/2017-10-05-fact-this-is-the-technical-term-for-hitting-something-until-it-works/

And another term    The primacy effect

Here's the basic idea of the primacy effect: when presented with a list of information, you are most likely to recall items at the beginning of the list. These items are more likely to end up in your long-term memory than items at the middle or the end of the list.

https://practicalpie.com/primacy-effect-examples/#:~:text=Here%E2%80%99s%20the%20basic%20idea%20of%20the%20primacy%20effect%3A,the%20middle%20or%20the%20end%20of%20the%20list.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on December 23, 2022, 08:00:27 PMSo let's try another

It is the act of hitting something until you can get it to work

https://theriver973.iheart.com/featured/glenn/content/2017-10-05-fact-this-is-the-technical-term-for-hitting-something-until-it-works/

We used to call that impact motivation  :D
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

"So let's try another
It is the act of hitting something until you can get it to work"

Len, I hope you're not talking about your wife!!!  =))