News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who are the top three Backup QB’s in the League?

Started by Ed Vette, December 24, 2022, 06:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

It is a position where you may not know until the Starter goes down. This year several backups had playing time.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

brownelvis54

Well, obviously, it's got to be Minshew, Malik Willis And Brody/Garoppolo
The KING is in the building

Jclayton92

If we are talking for the whole season thus far Brissett, Dalton, and Jimmy G.

For shorter periods in this season:
Darnold, White, Zappe, and Purdy have played amazing football.

My three:
Brissett
Dalton
Darnold
With Purdy a close #4, he's just got so much more talent than the other 3. Darnold, Brissett, and Dalton are playing or have played lights out football this year.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 24, 2022, 06:48:13 PMIt is a position where you may not know until the Starter goes down. This year several backups had playing time.
Would really love your take on the 3 for you? There has been a lot of quality football played by backups this season.

DaveBrown74

Terrific question Ed.

I don't have an answer to this one right off the top of my head. I could come up with three QBs right now that I know are in the top third or quarter, but I need to do a little work on this one to give you my best possible answer.

I will be treating this as who the best backups are RIGHT NOW. Not based on a future projection. Factoring in the future is a totally different question, and I assume that's not what the OP is asking.

Will revert.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 25, 2022, 10:59:00 AMWould really love your take on the 3 for you? There has been a lot of quality football played by backups this season.
I don't consider Jimmy G a backup.

Dalton
Brissett
Minchew
Purdy

I see Mayweather and Darnold as failed starters who may get a lifeline.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 25, 2022, 11:35:49 AMI don't consider Jimmy G a backup.

Dalton
Brissett
Minchew
Purdy

I see Mayweather and Darnold as failed starters who may get a lifeline.
I agree on Jimmy G. 90% of the backup Qbs that have had really good seasons are free agents so I expect we'll see a ton of movement this offseason of teams bringing in guys to compete.

TDToomer

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

Quote from: TDToomer on December 25, 2022, 01:53:48 PMHow quickly fans forget about Cooper Rush
cooper rush did well as a game manager but the other Qbs listed above have significantly more production than him this season. Dalton, Jimmy G and Brissett are In the top 10 In DVOA right now among all QBs, and Darnold, Purdy, and White are in the top 3 among Qbs with less than 200 pass attempts.

DaveBrown74

TDToomer

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 25, 2022, 03:02:23 PMcooper rush did well as a game manager but the other Qbs listed above have significantly more production than him this season. Dalton, Jimmy G and Brissett are In the top 10 In DVOA right now among all QBs, and Darnold, Purdy, and White are in the top 3 among Qbs with less than 200 pass attempts.

I don't consider Jimmy G a backup. He's been a starter while healthy since he came to SF and will start next season for someone. Dalton is also a starter now as he is playing over a healthy Winston. Brissett definitely in the conversation. I'll also throw Bridgewater into the conversation.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

Quote from: TDToomer on December 26, 2022, 10:14:34 AMI don't consider Jimmy G a backup. He's been a starter while healthy since he came to SF and will start next season for someone. Dalton is also a starter now as he is playing over a healthy Winston. Brissett definitely in the conversation. I'll also throw Bridgewater into the conversation.
I just considered them backups because going into the season they weren't the starter.

Ed Vette

What backups that came in for injury or as a mid-season replacement will be the starting QB on a team next season? Will Heinicke beat out Wentz? Will Purdy beat out Lance? Probably not. Will Mayweather beat out Stafford? Probably not. Should they? 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 26, 2022, 11:49:05 AMWhat backups that came in for injury or as a mid-season replacement will be the starting QB on a team next season? Will Heinicke beat out Wentz? Will Purdy beat out Lance? Probably not. Will Mayweather beat out Stafford? Probably not. Should they? 
I think Purdy, Heinicke have real shots as I don't think San Fran is sold on Lance. Other questions about Love in Green Bay, Darnold vs Corral in Panther land, White with the Jets, Dalton staying in NO or Taysom Hill?

A ton of questions, the only thing I think I've decided is that Zappe deserves to compete with Jones in NE, and that Brissett, and Minshew should only sign somewhere where they have an actual chance to compete.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 26, 2022, 11:53:57 AMI think Purdy, Heinicke have real shots as I don't think San Fran is sold on Lance. Other questions about Love in Green Bay, Darnold vs Corral in Panther land, White with the Jets, Dalton staying in NO or Taysom Hill?

A ton of questions, the only thing I think I've decided is that Zappe deserves to compete with Jones in NE, and that Brissett, and Minshew should only sign somewhere where they have an actual chance to compete.
I agree.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin